Help me clean windows with my pressure washer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me clean windows with my pressure washer

Hi, I'm looking for advice on cleaning my windows. I had another post on the subject here: http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...57&postcount=7 but it is buried in that thread and didn't get any replies.

Specifically, I have a haze on the windows, probably caused by years worth of deposits left by rain and snow. Pressure washing it with Krud Kutter general purpose cleaner (purple) did a little, but there is still quite a bit of haze. This morning, I reached outside, wiped some free, and was amazed how much haze there really is.

Can someone recommend a cleaner that will remove the haze? I'm hesitant on using a cleaner through my washer's pickup tube (RD80701) that is not specifically made for pressure washers.

Re: Help me clean windows with my pressure washer

From my own personal experience, using a pressure washer on windows is just a waste of time and water. Much like cleaning your automobile, there is a point when all the pressure in the world isn't going to get off the "haze"! There is simply a point when you need a little "elbow grease" and a rag. It sounds to me like you are at that point!

I use a combination of household detergent (dish detergent works best for me) and vinegar or other low-acidic solution to cut through pollutants that have filmed over your windows.

If you or other family members are smokers, then inside "haze" is going to be something else for sure... but even without tobacco smoke, just the everyday breathing, cooking, and other pollutants within the house can sometimes be more troublesome than the external environment.

So, try a detergent (I prefer "Dawn") and if necessary add vinegar or other solution (sometimes amonnia is good, but you have to be careful you don't get a reaction with mixing it with other cleaners) mixed in a bucket and then using a wrag see if that removes the haze or film from the windows. You may prefer a sponge, but personally I find they are too easy to pick up grit and they are generally not rough enough, and just slide over the film.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

IF height is a problem and that is why one wants to use the pressure washer,

get a soft bristle brush or foam scrubber, that will accept a handle, spray the window and get it wet (you can just use a bucket or a garden hose, and then scrub the window and I would also get a squeegee and wipe it dry, (depending on the film it could take a few trys)

(had some friends who bought a old train depot built in the 1800s, and the windows had not been washed in it for 30 to 40 years, after they moved the building, she tryed to clean the glass, (she finally used oven cleaner on it to get the old coal and other films off the glass and some was not removable),

possibly some thing like this,

http://www.amazon.com/Unger%C2%AE-Cl.../dp/B002XJU0BU or http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A8VE6CNFNTV4YA

like said to get the film off one will normally have to scrub it some, a pressure washer will not usually take the "road film" off.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Try a plain old rubber squeegie. Works great on everything from mirrors to granite countertops.
        When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

Yeah, I may have to end up using some sort of mechanical method to remove the haze. I'll try some of the recommendations here, thanks.

Comment

Are the stains on the screened windows only
            What are the screens made of ? Plastic or aluminum?
            Try a white 3m pad and a non-abrasive powder like Zud.
            Make a paste with water, scrub and see if it makes any improvements.
            FYI, dont use the powerwasher.

Comment

Originally posted by ARE1 View Post
              Are the stains on the screened windows only
              What are the screens made of ? Plastic or aluminum?
              Try a white 3m pad and a non-abrasive powder like Zud.
              Make a paste with water, scrub and see if it makes any improvements.
              FYI, dont use the powerwasher.
              The screens are aluminum, and the haze is on all windows (there aren't any windows without screens). Yeah, I think I'm going to have to use some sort of pole to get a pad up there and scrub. Probably will end up rinsing with just a garden hose and nozzle.

Comment

Working...
              X