X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS 2400 Motor

I was ripping a pressure treated 2x8 spruce on my 4 yr old (less than 20 hrs on motor) TS2400 when smoke and a smell of burning plastic came from the motor. I took the motor apart and discovered melted plastic in the area of the brush holders and trashed brushes. I have ordered new brushes and am hoping the motor can be salvaged. Might this overheating have done other motor damage? Why would the motor have burned out like that on softwood?

Thanks

Re: TS 2400 Motor

I'd be seriously concerned about the motor winding. If things got hot enough to melt the brush holders, it seems to me that the winding insulation could well be gone too.

Are you still under warranty or perhaps are registered for the LLSA? Even then, you might run into a problem.

I have no idea how much you may have stressed the motor or if your feeding rate was more than the blade and motor could handle. That appears to be obvious, but then other things could have caused the problem too, I suppose. Treated lumber is often very damp, and if that is the case.. the saw would have had a very tough time of it. Also, what condition was your blade, and was the fence properly aligned? Any and all of these concerns could factor into the problem.

But even then, I would think that you would have felt the resistance as you fed the stock. For me, I simply will NOT force feed my saws. If I meet resistance it's immediately apparent to me that something is wrong and I stop and investigate.

I'm sorry this isn't more helpful and I hope your winding is still okay.

CWS

Comment

Thanks much for the response. The brush holders didn't melt just the plastic housing in the immediate area. Will try out the new brushes and hope for the best. As for feeding, yeah I may have pushed it a bit but it also seems to me that this saw should have been able to handle ripping spruce 2-by with a sharp carbide blade. Seems seriously underpowered motor.

LLAS??

Comment

Ocky,

The 2400 and its successor are designed for the portable, contractor market and I have no doubt that they have enough power for most everything. The saws are also quite popular with many others too (homeowners/woodworkers/carpenters) because they don't take up a lot of room and are easily moved.

But, these saws are equipped with "universal" motors. Their strength, to some extent, is in the higher RPM that they produce. Induction motors, as used on the 3650/60 series and the newer R4511, provide more torque-like power. Induction motors can take more of a load and can be "horsed" somewhat more than a universal motor.

Both my table saws (Ryobi BT3100 and BTS21 portable) are equipped with universal motors, similar to the Ridgid 2400. They'll both make very smooth cuts with a 36- or 40-tooth, thin kerf blade. I recently used the BTS21 to rip through some very old very old treated 2 x 4's that were stored outside, under my deck for over a decade. The four pieces were definitly damp, but not nearly as wet as I recall when I first received the lumber back in the late 80's.

The BTS21 ripped them quite well, but you could feel and hear that the feed needed to be slower than normal. But, even with the factory Ryobi blade (36-tooth) it did the job well.

When I built my deck back in the late 80's (when I bought this lumber) all I had was a radial arm saw, which has an induction motor. I recall having to feed it carefully too, as the treated lumber was anything but dry. The RAS at the time was equipped with a wider kerf blade which puts a bit more strain on the motor. But again, the feed rate is very important to keep from bogging the motor down.

Comprending "Feed-rate" is most important if you are to get maximum efficiency out of your tools; and, of course, the life of the tool. So whether you are ripping/crosscutting with your circular saw, table saw, or using your router... if you push the tool too hard, you will bog down the cutter, strain the motor, and get a poor quality cut.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Thanks CWS. Lesson learned!

Comment

Working...
          X