nails or screws

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nails or screws

I am in the process of building my new shop and I will start framing soon. I hacv a porter cable clipped head framing nailer. I checked on prices of 16d nails and they are the same price as deck screws. I know generally screws hold better than nails, however is it worth the time wasted to screw in every screw vs using a nailer to build a 30'x40' workshop? How much more holding power do screws have?

Thanks for any advice!

Re: nails or screws

I would nail it for the time consideration, screws would hold better, but I do not know if they would really be superior in a framing application, there may be some areas where screw would be better, but I would more be inclined to use the metal clips for wind lift protection,

If your unsure, and think you may need to take some section aback apart screw it, it disassembles much easer.

you may want to check to see if the clipped heads are accepted by your areas current building codes, (do not know for fact but have hear that some areas are not accepting the clipped heads any more,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I will be using clips to hold down my trusses. Clipped head nails are accepted by my local building codes. I will attach my walls to my stem wall with 5/8 anchor bolts. I do not plan on disassembling it after I got it up. My whole reason for the post was to get some opinions from people with more experience than myself on whether they would build there own shop with screws or nails.
      I understand when you pay a contractor to build something, they are concerned with time and cost (nailer). But as a homeowner I want to build this shop, and do it right. Not necessarily overbuild, but if using screws vs a nailer is going to be that much better, then that is the route I will go. If it really is not going to be that much of a difference, then I would go nailer all the way for time.

Comment

Since you live in Kansas screws would be better with the storms you get.
        SSG, U.S. Army
        Retired
        K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Originally posted by TOD View Post
          Since you live in Kansas screws would be better with the storms you get.
          If Dorothy comes by on her way to OZ, it isn't going to make any difference.

Comment

My experience has been that cc sinkers (cement coated nails) will hold for framing dry lumber as well as or even better than screws. Put a crow bar on a 16d cc nail and then pull out a deck screw. The nail is a lot tougher material, and has a higher shear strength as well (16d vs 10 or 12 for the deck screw). As for cost, around here I can get 5000 framing nails for my PC nailer (mine is round head) for the price of about 2000 deck screws.

Ring shank nails for the sheathing will also hold as well as screws IMHO. However, if you think you may want to remove the sheathing later, use screws. They will be easier to remove without destroying the sheathing. (#8 screws will have about the same shear strength as an 8d nail.)

Screws/bolts will be better for any treated (high moisture content) wood. For things like deck boards, or for the flooring in your shop that may need eventual replacing, screws definitely have an advantage.

Just my thoughts

Go
            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Did you check your building code about using screws? I've heard some codes don't allow them. They say nails have more strength when it comes to wind shear. Screws can snap. I'm not a builder so I don't know this first hand, it's just something I've heard along the way.

Comment

I would nail it. Nails work great, you gain nothing with screws except you'll waste a bunch of time, and split some wood if you don't pre-drill, especially if you're using kiln-dried studs. Too much trouble for no real gain, IMO.

If you don't mind the time and want a better structure, I like the Simpson strong-tie brackets with nails. They make dozens of configurations. These are very expensive and will slow you down but they add to your structure. Strictly optional. There's nothing wrong with nails.

Comment

Funny you should pose this question...agree w / the above in that screws, generally speaking, are not appropriate framing fasteners.
                  However-use the correct size nails for your application. Currently I am renovating a home where someone, at some point used 2 1/2" FINISH nails to frame-several of them!!
                  Oddest of all: a 20d to fasten what I guess was a problematic spot of carpet shoe...give me strength!

Comment

Working...
                  X