X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: rigid tools garbage home depote wont go there

Ridgid Cordless tools are junk... I was very dissapointed when I bought an 18v combo set a few years ago. I have owned milwaukee and dewalt as well. Got to say the Bosch Li-Ion are the best I have owned, great customer service as well.

Come on Ridgid! Figure it out already! All your other tools are great! I own everything Ridgid except my cordless power tools.
    Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
    Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Originally posted by mpm View Post
      Ridgid Cordless tools are junk... I was very dissapointed when I bought an 18v combo set a few years ago. I have owned milwaukee and dewalt as well. Got to say the Bosch Li-Ion are the best I have owned, great customer service as well.

Come on Ridgid! Figure it out already! All your other tools are great! I own everything Ridgid except my cordless power tools.
      Besides the description: JUNK......could you be more specific?

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
        i believe he said AMERICAN made, that was the operative phrase.
        Thanks- I clearly grasped that aspect of that post, and that is why I removed it and noted that I removed it. (becuase there is no such quality power tool line made in the US)

Comment

Originally posted by sunrisejim View Post
          Any ideas on how I can kill this shop vac?
          How to kill a shop vac: Run it non-stop until motor finally burns out. Do this with the power head off the drum and the filter removed.

I bet after you get the cordless you'll be wanting the far more powerful "Old Faithful" corded shop vac back.
          Last edited by Woussko; 05-20-2010, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wood_Junkie View Post
            Thanks- I clearly grasped that aspect of that post, and that is why I removed it and noted that I removed it. (becuase there is no such quality power tool line made in the US)
            There could (should) be such tools. I might be one of those people who would pay extra to have a power tool that was designed and made in the U.S. by U.S. workers, and came with a lifetime warranty, and would out-live me. I imagine there would be a certain amount of prestige and pride associated with buying that brand, partly because it would not be a vulgar brand that you can buy at a big box store. Replace the plastic with magnesium, focus more on function than on swooping curves and plastic diamond plate, make it more precise than it needs to be, etc. Think Space Shuttle tools.

If professionals use these brands due to their durability, it will follow that a lot of homeowners will look for them. I know quite a few people who buy tools that are far more high-end than they need.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
              How to kill a shop vac: Run it non-stop until motor finally burns out. Do this with the power head off the drum and the filter removed.

I bet after you get the cordless you'll be wanting the far more powerful "Old Faithful" corded shop vac back.
              You are probably right my friend. I will just stick with this work horse until it dies. That is how I am with most of my tools. And cars.

Comment

Gone are the days when you could get a deal on a decent cordless drill or kit at home depot that included a couple 2.5 or higher AH batteries. Now when they have a sale on a cordless too it comes with a "compact" 1.5AH battery.
                I don't know about you guys but I don't have a problem with lifting a 3.0AH battery and I appreciate the extra run time. I'm not going to pay $100 or more for a battery that in my opinion should have come with the tool in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by sunrisejim View Post
                  I should have been more specific about it. A Dewalt http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...277&marketID=2

I am sure it won't be as powerful as my ridgid vac but it will be more convenient without the cord. I hope Ridgid comes out with a cordless shop vac some time soon too.
                  I have the Dewalt corded/cordless wet vac and love it. I would buy another tomorrow if it were lost or stolen today. Besides sucking the water out of a toilet bowl and tank before a reset, it is great for emptying the muddy water from a hole or ditch that I'm repairing pipe in (mostly irrigation).

The first one I bought had a bad switch after just a few months. The in-warranty replacement has lasted for years.
                  "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

I would like to add that no matter how sweet the deal - I will NEVER EVER BUY another RIDGID tool. I have an r4511 table saw with a top that is not flat and a riving knife knob that broke. I have a mitersaw that has done nothing but cause problems. Cheap Chinese crap. I have many Ridgid tool because they are often the best bang for the buck.. But I am past that - If I cannot afford the real deal then I just cannot afford it. It is not worth the stress when the knob breaks off the miter saw stand, etc. I will contiue to use my Ridgid tools and take loving care of them as I do all my tools. But when they break - good riddance..................

Comment

Originally posted by matthoyt View Post
                      I would like to add that no matter how sweet the deal - I will NEVER EVER BUY another RIDGID tool. I have an r4511 table saw with a top that is not flat and a riving knife knob that broke. I have a mitersaw that has done nothing but cause problems. Cheap Chinese crap. I have many Ridgid tool because they are often the best bang for the buck.. But I am past that - If I cannot afford the real deal then I just cannot afford it. It is not worth the stress when the knob breaks off the miter saw stand, etc. I will contiue to use my Ridgid tools and take loving care of them as I do all my tools. But when they break - good riddance..................
                      So help us out: which brands provide better quality for you?

Comment

Descriptions like crap and junk just don't help explain the problem
                        A quick check of my tools:
                        China:Makita,Ridgid,Hitachi,Ryobi,(new)Milwaukee
                        Malaysia:Bosch
                        Mexico: Dewalt
                        USA: (old)Milwaukee,Skil,Craftsman
                        Last edited by reConx; 05-24-2010, 04:12 PM.

Comment

It probably depends on the particular tool, but the last time I looked, Skil and Craftsman power tools were both made in China.

Matthoyt,

If you have purchased an R4511 and the top wasn't flat, why didn't you return it for and exchange or even a refund???? There have been many posts regarding the R4511 where parts were damaged or alignment was difficult and therefore the product was returned/exchanged with satisfaction. Also, there have been even larger numbers of posts from owners who are obviously completely satisfied.

Regarding your "broken knob"... well, that is also covered by the warranty and the LLSA.

I don't understand the mindset of owners who complain about a broken part without exploring their warranty/service options.

It matters very little where a product is made, unless you just want to gripe about it. If you've lived any length of time, you would have discovered that "Made in the U.S.A" is absolutely no guarantee whatsoever of 100% quality or longevity. Things break and they wear out, often within a very short time.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                            It probably depends on the particular tool, but the last time I looked, Skil and Craftsman power tools were both made in China
                            Thanks I meant to state my "Old" Milwaukee+Skil+Craftsman power tools made in USA many years ago that are are still performing today

Comment

Yes - they are all made in China. Yes - there is a warranty. Yes - the table saw was returned twice - it works for what I need right now and the price was discounted heavily after the second return - so I kept it. Yes - some of my Ridgid works well and was a fair price. However I have Milwaukee and Senco and Dewalt and Makita, PC and non have given me any problems. We should not just pretend that Ridgid is cheaper because they want to give us a good deal. There are cut corners and quality issues with these tools. When it comes to a precision tool like a table saw your money is better spent buying a higher end tool. (I am sure these Granite tops are not held to the same standard as those shipped with the Steele City). Warranty is great until it is Saturday evening and you stuff is falling apart, making grinding noises and just not working properly. Of course all the brands have their share of issues but I have thus far only been burned by Ridgid. (When others burn me multiple times I will also choose to avoid them). I know everyone here is a fan of the Ridgid so I expect the typical banter back - but we all know there are better tools out there, we buy Ridgid because of the low $ sign - not because it is the tool we would rather have - so all I am saying is that from this point forward I will choose those better tools. I posted my gripe on here because I feel it necessary to let my negative opinion be know - I have posted many favorable opinions on various products/brands over the years so I feel no shame voicing my negative concerns. That is all.

Comment

Matt,

Fair enough! I'm sorry that you ran into problems and have been left with tools that didn't meet your expectations. Obviously you went through the necessary steps but were still left short enough to be dissatisfied. I understand your feelings and do appreciate your honest opinion and experience.

I've looked at the R4511 and from my very limited perspective, it didn't look like a saw that I would like. Much too heavy for my usage and things just didn't seem to fit correctly. I didn't like the fence, or the mismatched granite, or the front and back rail system. Didn't like the scale either or the the Herc-U-Lift, as the latter seemed to be way over stressed with the weight... but hey, what do I know.

On the other hand, my first and only table saw to date is much maligned Ryobi BT3100. Cost me $135 on close-out. All aluminum and plastic, it's been the target of more than a few jokes. But after three years of fairly heavy use, it cuts true and with glue-edge smoothness. I love it's sliding miter table and once fitted with a Herc-U-Lift, it wheels in and out of working position with great ease. It's moveable rails and three-point locking fence provide excellent capacity and accuracy. I can cut a 4 x 4 in one pass... which is not bad for a 10-inch blade. There is of course, no comparison between my BT3 and the big monster cabinet saws... but short of cutting big sheets of ply, it does all that I ask of it and then some.

I had similar luck with my miter saw stand... it too is a Ryobi. $99! Weighs about 40 lbs or so and can hold 400 lbs. and is built like a tank; it sets up quickly, folds up nicely and its narrow profile makes it fairly easy to carry as long as long as you put the stock supports in a separate shoulder bag. But if you have a need to move it with the CMS mounted, it's not the stand of choice.

The point is, one really never quite knows what may or may not work well, and we all have our own demands and expectations; and, it's not a matter of price in all cases. I look very closely at the tools I buy and my particular requirements. Sometimes I'm woefully surprised, but that doesn't happen too often.

So, I hope you find the tools you are looking for. Sell the 4511 at some point and go with the saw of your dreams when that becoms affordable for you.

Kindest regards,

CWS

Comment

Working...
                                X