X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angle grinder wheels - smaller OK?

Any issue using smaller diamond blades or grinding wheels on an angle grinder?

I've got a 5" grinder and only 4 or 4 1/2" blades readily available locally.

I'm assuming provided I check max RPM specs then should be fine but please advise if there is some reason not to.

Thx

Re: Angle grinder wheels - smaller OK?

not that I am aware of as long as the RPM is OK, and the arbor hole is the correct size,

I do not know what the difference would be if one was using a wearable disk and it gets smaller,

one just can't cut as deep,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by dcp View Post
      Any issue using smaller diamond blades or grinding wheels on an angle grinder?

I've got a 5" grinder and only 4 or 4 1/2" blades readily available locally.

I'm assuming provided I check max RPM specs then should be fine but please advise if there is some reason not to.

Thx
      if arbor size is the same and disks are rated for RPM, it's fine.

Comment

going smaller is fine.

going larger is dangerous, although i sometimes cheat with a 5'' on a 4.5'' grinder. this is with a cut off wheel and no safety guard

sometimes you need the extra 1/2''

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Only an idiot would use a saw blade on a grinder, WITH NO GUARD !

Worked great , where's My finger ? DON'T DO IT! I'M INSANE!
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            going smaller is fine.

going larger is dangerous, although i sometimes cheat with a 5'' on a 4.5'' grinder. this is with a cut off wheel and no safety guard

sometimes you need the extra 1/2''

rick.
            rick, get a 5" guard for your grinder. Shattered 1mm discs penetrate up to 1 inch of human flesh.

Comment

appreciate that, but unfortunately i tend to use the grinder as a cut off machine with 4'' pipe in the ditch. the guard prevents me from cutting through the pipe as i rotate it.

fortunately i am luck and i do wear my safety glasses and gloves.

i know, there's always a first time, but until that day, i cross my fingers and watch what i'm doing.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
              X