X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air compressor issue

I have an air 5hp sitting on a 20 gallon tank. It starts fine, but when it reaches 100psi the relief valve opens. I replaced the valve thinking the old one just bit the dust. The new one does the same thing opens at 100 psi. So I have to stop in the middle of a job to attend to the compressor. This frustrates me can any one help me.

Re: Air compressor issue

Originally posted by bolinjive View Post
    I have an air 5hp sitting on a 20 gallon tank. It starts fine, but when it reaches 100psi the relief valve opens. I replaced the valve thinking the old one just bit the dust. The new one does the same thing opens at 100 psi. So I have to stop in the middle of a job to attend to the compressor. This frustrates me can any one help me.
    Sounds like your tank pressure gauge might be off, and the pressure relief is blowing as it should. Check the output pressure with a fresh gauge.

Comment

Are you saying the tank pressure relief valve lets go at 100 PSI and the unit still continues to operate? This would indicate a problem with the pressure switch which controls the "cut-in" and "cut-out" pressures, and not the gauge itself. I'm familiar with these 5 HP/20 gallon units and am thinking that they should pump up to 125 PSI before cutting-out. I'm not sure you have the proper pressure relief valve on this unit, although you state it had a 100 PSI PRV. Do you have any paperwork on this brand unit? Most literature on units built in the last five (5) years or so can be "Googled". David

Comment

All three are possible contributors.

A bad gauge if used to set the pressure switch could be the culprit.
        Most peanut (2-1/2" & under) gauges can not be cal'd, replace with new. Maybe look for a filled gauge which can handle the vibration and pressure pulsation better, or install a pulsation dampener inline before the gauge.

Or the pressure switch is out of cal.
        Recal the switch to a known accurate gauge or pressure reference.

Or the relief valve is bad or is not the correct set point (100# vice 125#)
        Check the set point of the valve which should be stamped on the side of the valve. Check the set point using a known accurate gauge or reference pressure source. If it's off by more than 3% replace with new. The set point of the relief valve should be below the lowest pressure rating of the weakest component in the system, be it the tank or a fitting, etc. so that it protects all of the system components.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
        X