Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Just purchased the 5 piece combo kit with the free radio and battery... Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just purchased the 5 piece combo kit with the free radio and battery...

I picked up this kit at the last 20% off event. Didn't really care about the radio at first but love it now.
    The only downside I have with it is the single charger. Where the kit has 3 batteries it would've been nice to have two charging the same time.
    It's no big deal if you are using the drill and driver but comes into play when using the circular saw.
    Minor stuff....great deal.....go pick one up.

Comment

I didn't really care too much for the bigger Ridgid radio/race scanner when it came out - there's a lot of pros and cons to that one.

But the little radio that comes with this kit is nice. IIRC, it's the same little compact radio that came with another kit a year or two ago. I got one of the kits and parted it out, to have the radio and another drill. Sounds great for a little unit, and very handy.

It's funny how a small little kit inclusion (radio, flashlight, LED light, etc.) were thought of just a few years ago as a junk item, just "filler" in a kit to crank up the number of pieces of a particular kit. But now, it's a bonus inclusion that people seem to look for. Not saying that's a good thing or a bad thing, it's just funny how our tastes/demands as consumers have changed with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Shanem View Post
        I picked up this kit at the last 20% off event. Didn't really care about the radio at first but love it now.
        The only downside I have with it is the single charger. Where the kit has 3 batteries it would've been nice to have two charging the same time.
        It's no big deal if you are using the drill and driver but comes into play when using the circular saw.
        Minor stuff....great deal.....go pick one up.
        I also agree with this. It would be nice to see a new kit come out with a revamped dual-charger for the lithium-ion batteries. Yes, I know that Ridgid has a dual-charger already, and that Ridgid has also stated on here that all past chargers are "safe" to charge the li's on as well. But, I would prefer to have a proper lithium-ion tagged dual-charger, one where the lights work correctly and doesn't spaz out.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
          I didn't really care too much for the bigger Ridgid radio/race scanner when it came out - there's a lot of pros and cons to that one.

But the little radio that comes with this kit is nice. IIRC, it's the same little compact radio that came with another kit a year or two ago. I got one of the kits and parted it out, to have the radio and another drill. Sounds great for a little unit, and very handy.

It's funny how a small little kit inclusion (radio, flashlight, LED light, etc.) were thought of just a few years ago as a junk item, just "filler" in a kit to crank up the number of pieces of a particular kit. But now, it's a bonus inclusion that people seem to look for. Not saying that's a good thing or a bad thing, it's just funny how our tastes/demands as consumers have changed with this.
          UPDATE: It has been nearly a year now and the entire kit is still kicking butt. I like every item because they are rugged, reliable, and last long with the Lith Battery. My wife really likes using the radio around home when gardening or working outside. She plugs in her Ipod and away she goes, happy as can be.

I really like the flashlight. Strange design, but it last extremely long on a single charge and we use it for nearly everything [crawling through attics when doing remodels, camping trips, fishing trips early in the morning, and around the house at night. It's amazing.

My only concern is the sawzall...it seems much weaker than the Dewalt version...maybe I received a lemon. When I have some time, I'll run it to the local shop and see what they say.

Rigid Rocks, no doubt about it!

Soar
          Don't squabble with the chickens
          Instead, soar
          with the eagles

Comment

I just got my X3 set with the free radio and extra battery. HD must still have a few of these here and there. So far I love this set. Did all my LSA paperwork the day I bought it. Now I just have to wait...and wait...

Comment

I bought my kit used out of the "black hole" of returns. I got the department manager to knock off $200 the price because the tools were very well used for a weekend job. They still looked and smelled new, but they had excessive use on them. I even talked him into selling me a new 3.0AH li-ion battery, charger and the mini sawzall that had been separated from a kit, for a whopping $25. I was in heaven.

My experience with my older 14V Ridgid impact was less than stellar (no I did not sign up for the lifetime service agreement either ) I had that thought in my mind when I purchased it, but the price convinced me to give it another try. After I bought the kit I had the new battery from the $25 dollar kit not want to charge. 3 attempts later it charged, 3 charge/discharge cycles later it turned into a brick. I exchanged it for a new one, I have not had a lick of problems since. The circular saw seems somewhat weak, I suppose I am used to the NICD ones that grunt all the way till it stalls instead of the tool just shutting off when you put too much of a load on it. I don't care for it being for a left handed person instead of the standard blade on the left side for a righty. The mini sawzall is awesome. It has alot of power for something so small. The drill has snapped 2 of my Ridgid brand auger bits (junk IMO), the impact driver breaks 3" screws and tips like its going out of style (such a thing as too much power?) the light works great for general light but is fragile. The radio is awesome. I agree with all that has been said in this thread about it. Overall I like the kit. Another great thing to know about is the returns black hole at the Depot. Its always a good idea to have a backup drill/impact, you can get one lightly used or from a broken up kit for CHEAP!

If I had a choice on what to change with the kit, I would want a double charger, a tougher light, and the option for a "normal" circular saw. I have no idea why the changed that. Of course add on tool selection would be nice too, I dislike having 3 brands of tools to have all of the cordless bases covered
              We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Experiences seem to vary quite a bit from place to place from the LSA to things like the Home Depot returns. My local Home Depot in CT puts the returned tools in a shopping cart and offers a small discount from the original price. I know my prices and it's as if they really don't want to part with some of these beat up things. Why do some repair shops working with the LSA request the charger, and one tool if you have battery issues and other shops will just take your old batteries test them and do a simple exchange?

Tool kits are a great way for the manufacturers to get their tools, chargers and batteries to the consumer, but I'm sure plenty of folks would glady add to their Ridgid cordless tools if there were more to choose from and they were sold individually. I don't think there is any one manufacturer that offers all the tools we would need. I have a cordless hedge trimmer with it's own batteries and charger, my Ridgid stuff and some Ryobi tools.

My five piece Ridgid set is five years old and the tools are still going strong, only the nicads are tired. Sure wish the tool selection was greater, it is more work to keep after the different batteries and chargers.

Comment

Working...
                X