RD-8000 Generator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RD-8000 Generator

I just bought this generator because of the remote start panel feature and it's 8000 watt capacity to power my 33ft fifth wheel trailer at dry camping sites.

The generator appears to have plenty of capacity for my needs and is not so noisy as to be too irratating when it is running.

I have two problems with it. First, I can not figure out how you are supposed to engage the choke on the engine from the remote start panel. The engine will crank forever and not start unless the choke is applied for at least a brief period, and if you go out to the generator to apply the choke, you cannot crank the engine except from the remote panel which is inside the trailer. Can someone tell me what I am missing here? I like to consider myself a reasonably intelligent individual, but I fail to see the logic in how they set this thing up.

My second problem is that somewhere in the confusion of loading everything up for our summer-long trip, I have misplaced the owners manual for the generator and cannot find any place to download one online. Can anyone help me with a download site?

Any and all help wouold be greatly appreciated.

John Despres
    Phoenix, AZ

Re: RD-8000 Generator

First problem: The unit was actually designed as a jobsite generator, not an RV generator. Had to get that out of the way first off. Yes, you can crank the generator away from the panel. The engine has a recoil starter. Flip the choke, pull the starter, flip the choke back off. Just remember to turn the key to the "run" position before you exit the RV to start the genny. Once the engine has warmed up you can use the remote start (without the choke) assuming you're using decent fuel (10% ethanol MAX).

Second problem: http://www.gardnerinc.com/manuals
    "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

I appreciate the response. I was aware this was not intended as an RV generator but didn't have $4500 for an Onan. I was looking for something my wife would be able to start if I wasn't handy to do it and never thought to look to make sure you could choke the engine from the remote panel. It just doesn't make sense to me that they would go to all that trouble to give you something that you can't use most of the time. My experience with small engines is that very few of them start without some choke applied if they've been allowed to cool off at all. In my own case, I would probably not have to restart the engine once it was warm. I will probably end up rigging some kind of solenoid to the choke so I can apply it remotely. I was hoping there might be a factory fix for this problem.

John Despres

Comment

Just noticed the link for the manual. Appreciate that also, but I was not able to connect either by clicking the link or pasting it in the address box. Will keep trying to get there now that I know where to look.

Thanks again

Comment

Got the manual. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by AZBiker View Post
            ... I was hoping there might be a factory fix for this problem.
            Hoping not to sound too much like a smartass, but what you perceive as a "problem" isn't a problem in the true sense. You're using the unit in an application that it simply wasn't designed for. The "problem" isn't with the generator.

Match the tool to the job. Don't fault a hammer just because it makes a lousy screwdriver.

Glad you got your manual.
            "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Rigid did not for some strange reason design a remote choke for that generator which does not make any sense since the remote panel is usless
              without it. I have designed a very simple add on system which installs in minutes. I can make it for you for arround $50.00 or will give you drawings and info for nothing
              Sincerely,
              Joe Scott
              jocin@bresnan.net
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jocin View Post
                Rigid did not for some strange reason design a remote choke for that generator which does not make any sense since the remote panel is usless
                without it. I have designed a very simple add on system which installs in minutes. I can make it for you for arround $50.00 or will give you drawings and info for nothing
                Sincerely,
                Joe Scott
                jocin@bresnan.net
                Wow.. I'd love to have these plans if your still offering...

Roy

Comment

Hate to bring up a dead thread, but any word on getting the plans out?

I can see enough to fab the bracket and mount it, but I was curious how it was all wired.

Thanks.

-Chris

Comment

Did not get the plans, but figured out all the parts and built the bracket. Just have to get the spacing correct. In the next few weeks I will be hooking it up and installing a autostart off my Outback inverter. Hopefully I can get it all to work. If I do, I will take plenty of pictures on how it works.

Comment

i for one am looking forward to seeing how this is addressed by those posting interest in the remote choke.
                      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
                        Hoping not to sound too much like a smartass, but what you perceive as a "problem" isn't a problem in the true sense. You're using the unit in an application that it simply wasn't designed for. The "problem" isn't with the generator.

Match the tool to the job. Don't fault a hammer just because it makes a lousy screwdriver.

Glad you got your manual.
                        I don't understand this statement. No matter what venue the generator is used in, application of the choke WILL be required at times. To offer a remote start function that does not allow for applying the choke remotely is a half-baked solution AND a shortcoming of the design, NOT the fault of the person using the generator to power their RV or Home or Work Site.

This is a case of a hammer not meeting the requirements of a hammer, it has nothing to do with screwdrivers.
                        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by RoySalisbury View Post
                          Did not get the plans, but figured out all the parts and built the bracket. Just have to get the spacing correct. In the next few weeks I will be hooking it up and installing a autostart off my Outback inverter. Hopefully I can get it all to work. If I do, I will take plenty of pictures on how it works.
                          Im at the point where Im figuring out the wiring on my bench. I was hoping there would be a way to keep it all onboard the generator, using a timer relay, but it looks like the ignition switch Run position doesnt actually engage anything (open up the control panel and you'll see there is one terminal that has no wire coming off it....my guess is thats the Run position). So it looks like it will be necessary to run wires from the control panel back to the gen.

Is that what you discovered as well?

Comment

I was going to need to run all new control wires anyway because it needed to be in conduit under my building, plus needed to run the 12v power from the generator battery back to the controller (it monitors it as well so it is always charged).

It looks like it is 4 wire off the generator:

White - Engine Ground
                            Brown - Engine Ignition Stop
                            Green - Engine Solenoid + (inline fuse here)
                            Yellow - Engine Start Solenoid

So I will end up running these from my GSCM back to the generator and wiring them directly into either the control panel plug or the equipment itself. I'm thinking that wiring into the control panel plug would be best so that I can unhook it easier if needed.

Roy

Comment

Working...
                            X