EB4224 Sander LSA Service - Parts Delays

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EB4224 Sander LSA Service - Parts Delays

I don't come around much and will try to offset this post with some positive contributing visits more often. That disclaimer out of the way . . .

My Ridgid EB4224 oscillating spindle/belt sander developed a shudder on the upswing. A phone call eventually led to me dropping it at my local service center about 45 miles away. That was at the end of March.

Some of the repair parts showed up right away but there was a delay till the first week of May on the last part required to do the repair. When the part didn't show the service center called Ridgid for status; the parts will not be available till October!?!

I emailed Ridgid and was told that a replacement unit could not be requested until the repair delay hit 90 days. That means I would have to just cool my jets for 50 days before I can even start the replacement process.

I called Ridgid and asked that, while appreciating the need for policies and procedure, couldn't we all agree that the 90days would surely be met and let's just go ahead and order a replacement. As a matter of fact, there's a stack of 4224's right down the street at the same Home Depot where I bought it in the first place. How about I just go get one of those? . . . . Nope.

After the Ridgid rep called the service center I was told that a replacement request will be sent by the service center and a replacement unit should arrive in about a month!?!.

Re: EB4224 Sander LSA Service - Parts Delays

Glen,

You know, this parts shortage thing seems to haunt the Ridgid-brand (TTI) for a number of years now. While we all know that these tools are made in China, I see think that should have little to nothing to do with parts shortages... afterall, we are not waiting for some "Clipper Ship" to make the delivery!

A proper parts system should take into account the total number of such tools that are in circulation within the U.S. and a regional warehousing or even national warehouse should well take into account an inventory to satisfy any demand for parts. Otherwise, the system is broke or certainly NOT managed properly.

If you've got $200 available, I think I might be inclined to simply go buy another unit, with the intention of returning it within the 90-day satisfaction warranty. Suggesting that, of course, doesn't sit well with me, as I feel it's a bit underhanded... but having to wait until October for a part is, IMHO, a bit below the standards of the LLSA or warranty, whatever.

The minute that Ridgid parts found that it couldn't supply a part until October, should have raised a "red flag" and you should have been contacted with a voucher to pick up a new unit... and the repair units should have been returned to the factory for "reconditioning".

I really like my Ridgid tools, but I think thier parts operations are in serious need of a fix.... but maybe they can't find parts for that either.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
      If you've got $200 available, I think I might be inclined to simply go buy another unit, with the intention of returning it within the 90-day satisfaction warranty. Suggesting that, of course, doesn't sit well with me, as I feel it's a bit underhanded... but having to wait until October for a part is, IMHO, a bit below the standards of the LLSA or warranty, whatever.
      I too feel that this approach would be on the underhanded side BUT maybe not all that unjustified. The problems with some of the Service Centers and parts availability have been well documented and ongoing for far to long. It may be overly critical and possibly unjustified but quite frankly I don't think that TTI/RIDGID care one iota about service after the sale. If they did, they would addressed and fixed this situation long ago. They haven't so I'm at a loss to come up with any other explanation.
      ================================================== ====
      All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

The fact is if your livelihood depends on a tool, you have to have a backup on hand or be prepared to buy one. Your situation is especially bad, but none of the tool companies can get you fixed up or replaced quickly enough.

Comment

Working...
        X