X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10" Ridgid MS1065LZA miter saw - can NOT square blade

I've read the manual and loosened the two cap screws underneath, aligned the blade, then tighten the two cap screws, but the blade will not stay square, it's off by almost a full degree. When the framing square is flush against the blade, it is angled off the fence by 1/8". It seems like the miter lock handle throws it off every time it is snugged up. This is too frustrating to deal with. I’m going to take it back to Home Depot and by the DeWalt. I was sucked in by the lifetime warranty, but that sounds like a farce from the other posts I’ve read.

Re: 10" Ridgid MS1065LZA miter saw - can NOT square blade

10" Ridgid MS1065LZA miter saw blade alignment problems. Yes, it's very true that while the instruction manual describes how to accomplish blade alignment, it simply does not work as described by the other person who posted the end result. This is how I managed to get it perfect. First of all, use the manual instructions to get you into the ballpark. Then index the bed to a 45 degree cut angle. Make a cut and with a combination or framing square determine which way the blade needs to rotate either CW or CCW. Then loosen the two large hex fastener's just behind and below the compound mitre scale (on top of the unit, not below) and with the aid of the framing square against the saw blade rotate the head assembly either CW or CCW (looking down or from the top of the motor) to bring the blade square with the table fence. Next make two 45 degree cuts on a board at least 12 inches long. Place the cuts so that you make half a picture frame and check squareness with the framing square. You might be required to repeat this process until you get a perfect 90 degree angle. Just remember that when checking the 90 degree angle the amount of total error would translate to half the amount in rotation of the head either CW or CCW. When set up this way then your 90 degree cuts from zero will be perfect. You should zero the pointer scale to zero degree's on the scale. Then when you index to other notched degree's it will be perfect, and all degree's in between. Feel free to mail me at Ric. Walters@Yahoo.Com if you need further information. Good luck.

Comment

When I first got into power tools I bought my first miter saw (Mastercraft) and five years later I am cussing and cursing when I have to use it. It does not cut squarely either. Can someone recommend a good miter saw?

Comment

Makita
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Agreed on the Makita - had one for years, lots of use, only ever had to reset square once.

Comment

Originally posted by real_term View Post
            When I first got into power tools I bought my first miter saw (Mastercraft) and five years later I am cussing and cursing when I have to use it. It does not cut squarely either. Can someone recommend a good miter saw?
            I just bought the new Bosch. Its dead on after a few easy adjustments. Pricey, but I'm extremely happy with it. Amazon has the lowest price, but consider buying it local because the box is NOT meant to be shipped off of a pallet and damage is not uncommon. My first one was damaged, but the replacement one was pristine.

The Bosch is an upgrade to my old DeWalt DW703 10 inch single bevel non-slider. I still use it because its tough and accurate. I would recommend either.

Ern
            Last edited by erngum; 04-27-2011, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Out of all the Ridgid tools I own, the one I opted to not go orange with was the Mitersaw. I went Yellow, wish I had gone Blue or Red... oh well. To be honest, I am not a fan of the Ridgid chop saws, especially the slider. The new Bosch unit that has a fold up arm instead of the sliding guides has me drooling, it just might replace the 773 one of these days... that is if I start making money again!

I have the 773 Dewalt, and its a good saw, just has a few funny quirks, but over all I do like it. Its mounted firmly atop the old Ridgid MS-UV.

Comment

i started out with the ryobi and no matter how i adjusted the adjustments i could only get 1 out of 4 or 5 true 45 degree cuts so i went to lowes and bought the 12" hitachi dual bevel compound sliding miter saw, it has worked perfect right out of the box. $450.00

Comment

I have the Ridgid 10-inch (bought in 2004 or 5... hey, I can't remember people's names too well... and well, model numbers: NOT). I do get square crosscuts, but have one helluva time trying to get bevel-crosscuts. I'd like to think it was the saw, but I'm not sure that is the case... I think it's more like blade deflection, me or as yet not realized.

Problem is that all measurement show that the saw is absolutely square and that the bevel adjustment is absolutely 45-degrees and that on the swing down into the clearance plate, the blade is both square to the fence and at a perfect 45-degrees!

Now with all of that measurement, using precision squares there should be no question whatsoever that the cut will be pretty much perfect. Unfortunately that is very rarely the case and as the previous posted stated maybe 1 out of 4 or 5 cuts will be correct. But, I think the key word here is "rarely"... for if it CAN make a square cut or squared bevel cut at least some of the time, then that tells me that I'm doing something wrong the biggest percentage of time. Either the stock is moving, the machanics of the saw mechanism has some play in it, or the blade is deflecting! I'm leaning toward the latter, as I cannot detect either play and I've taken to clamping the stock in place.

But that said, why then does other brands like the Makita or Bosch NOT have these problems? I really have no answers here and I am therefore at a loss. I do find my Ridgid very well built and I do like it, but the cross-cut bevel drives me up the wall. If the stock is narrow enough, I simply stand it on it's edge, clamping it against the fence and doing my so-called "bevel" cut vertically. Only then does it appear consistant.

My point is, that if a perfect cut can be made "once in a while", then is it the operator or the saw? With measurement of the mechanical assembly and no detection of looseness through the swing, I can only conclude that it's blade deflection and maybe I need something other than the thin-kerf blades that I've been using. But I am still left wondering if it can be that simple.

CWS

Comment

Working...
                  X