X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 3000 pressure washer backfire

I recently (about a month ago) bought a Ridgid 3000 psi pressure washer and every time I turn it off, it backfires. Runs great otherwise and does a great job. Ideas, comments?

Re: Ridgid 3000 pressure washer backfire

first a dislaimer:
    I am not familiar with these beasts firsthand. I have been lurking to obtain info and planning to buy one of the units with a cat pump. I am not sure how long it is recommended to "idle" one with no load on the pump but I'll venture in with some general info...

backfire is unburned fuel vaporizing, escaping into the exhaust manifold, igniting and ejecting out the muffler. assuming you have no carb problems and are using the recommended octane-rated fuel the first thing to try is allowing the engine to cool for a minute or two after running it hard. I have had several engines on various pieces of equipment over the years that backfired when turned off hot. another engine would backfire even when cooled down until I went to an oversize muffler.

Comment

Originally posted by vetobe View Post
      I recently (about a month ago) bought a Ridgid 3000 psi pressure washer and every time I turn it off, it backfires. Runs great otherwise and does a great job. Ideas, comments?
      Mine does the same thing, a single POP right around the time the engine stops rotating. None of my other engines do this, so I have to chalk it up to the design of the engine itself.

Comment

Originally posted by JoePolvino View Post
        ... so I have to chalk it up to the design of the engine itself.
        It's actually the muffler that causes it. And I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that you're shutting the engine off while it's running at speed.
        "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

The machine is running but is not going full out such as when I am using the wand. I will see what happens when I reduce the power. Thanks for your help.

Comment

When the engine is running fast and under load does it run well?

Something to try and many small engine manufactures recommend is to use Plus 89 grade gasoline rather than Regular 87 grade.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
              It's actually the muffler that causes it. And I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that you're shutting the engine off while it's running at speed.
              This is correct. After idling down and letting it run for 10-15 seconds, turning it off resulted in no backfire.

Comment

hi ya all so what spark plug replaces
                this torch plug this unit comes with will a good old

""""NGK BR-6HS """" or a
                """"(CHAMPION RL86C""""

will either or work in the suberou ridgid 3000psi 6,0???as a replacment? they gave no book errstubnail67@tampabay.rr.com this is the best way ima tear into it in the am thanks paul!

Comment

NGK BR6HS is the correct plug.

Champion RL86C is also correct... if you trust Champion plugs. I don't, but it's an old distrust from back in my racing days when Champion plugs were the cheapest way to ensure your rig went back on the trailer while the race was still running.
                  "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Working...
                  X