R2611 with sanding screens

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R2611 with sanding screens

Howdy! This is my first post on this forum.

I bought a reconditioned R2611 ROS from CPO and have been very pleased with how smooth and powerful it is but am having one issue with it. I am using it with some 80 grit Mirka sanding screens and the hook and loop attachment method is not working anymore. The screens really do cut through the paint and having it hooked up to my shopvac (also Ridgid) has resulted in almost no dust.

Has anyone else used this sander with sanding screens? The first 6 or so screens held on quite well but it has been quite tough with the last 2 or 3 trying to keep them on.

Just curious.

Thanks,
    Gary

Re: R2611 with sanding screens

Usually when the H&L pad fails it's due to overheating the pad and melting the little hooks that attach to the loops. Once this happens, you have to replace the pad on the bottom of the sander. Unfortunately this problem is usually caused by operator error due to improper technique. When too much downward pressure is applied to the sander while sanding excessive heat is created which melts the hooks. It sounds like its too late for your pad and replacing the pad is probably your only solution. Wish I had better news for you but at least I can offer you a hearty..........Welcome to the group!
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Thanks for the tip! I will get a new pad and try to be a little more patient.

Comment

Welcome as well ...
        By screens do you mean open mesh screens where the hooks may protrude through the screen surface?

Comment

Yes, open mesh screens similar to the common drywall sanding screens but with loops on the back. I would not be surprised if I was also using too much pressure which could have caused the hooks to protrude through the screen surface.

Comment

Just a thought as I have never used sanding screens. You could try cleaning the pad off with a moist bristle brush, then testing it with a regular sanding disk. Then you would know if the hooks are melted or not.

Comment

Working...
            X