X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3300 pressure washer will not stay on

I just bought a 3300 psi ridgid pressure washer with an electronic fuel injector.

Oil is at the red dot. Gas is 3/4 full.

I start the engine (while holding the wand trigger) and it starts fine. No matter what I do next it will stop within 1- seconds of it being on. I've done the turn it off and pull the cord 4 times and try again, but this doesn't work either.

Should I just return it? I'm still able to get a different or new one.

Re: 3300 pressure washer will not stay on

Originally posted by aljc2006 View Post
    ... Oil is at the red dot.
    That's the pump oil. How about the engine oil? Low pump oil won't cause the engine not to run. Low engine oil will (the engine has low oil shutdown).

If the engine oil level checks ok, you may have a power coil issue with the EFI. It wasn't an uncommon failure on the early EFI engines. If it's the power coil, it's a warranty repair and you'll automatically get the improved coil.
    "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

EX21 EFI service manual

Oil level on the dipstick should be 1/2 way beween the two cross hatched areas. If you over fill the oil these engines espeically during break-in, they will smoke badly when oil goes out the breather hose into the intake. The EFI engine on the RD80702 and RD80905 includes only 12 ounces of engine oil shipped with the unit. 1/2 way up the dipstick until will elimiate the smoking.

The correct EX21 EFI service manual is on the Ridgid service cd 987190001 that you can get to diagnose the EFI system...The efi section is at the end of the manual.

If the unit starts, the power coil is good. Per the manual, you should have at least 8V on pulling the engine over at the red power generation coil wire. The power genration coil is a common mis-diagnosed part on these units because the service manual in the CD is not followed when diagnosing...Now that I look again at the current online manuals,I am not sure why, but the EFI service manual online is missing parts from the original detailed one that is on the Ridgid service cd 987190001 . These missing parts are important. Luckily I kept a copy of the original EFI manual from the CD. I have posted it below.

5-4 FUEL SYSTEM TESTING AND DIAGNOSIS
      Most fuel system malfunctions occur when the fuel/air ratio of the mixture is not correct.
      This is usually caused by clogged fuel filters, air passages, fuel passages, or by variations in
      the fuel level.
      To get the best possible performance from the throttle body, make sure that the fuel feed and
      air feed passages are free so air and fuel can flow freely through them.
      The procedure for inspecting the fuel system is described below.
      Run all system tests with a full tank of fresh, clean fuel.

(4) With the throttle body installed on the engine:
      Carefully remove fuel pump pulse line only from the cylinder head pulse hose fitting. Do not remove pulse hose from throttle body.
      Unwrap the pulse hose strap to allow the engine side of the pulse hose to hang at a level below the throttle body.
      Do not damage throttle body when removing the pulse hose from the cylinder head fitting.
      Check for excessive oil in the fuel pump pulse hose. If excessive oil is found, allow oil to drain from the engine side of the pulse line and spray a small amount of carburetor cleaner into the pulse hose to the fuel pump.
      After using the carburetor cleaner, blow low air pressure across the engine side of the pulse hose to draw out any oil or carburetor cleaner.
      DO NOT blow air directly into. fuel pump or damage to the throttle body will occur
      Re-assemble pulse line, check engine oil level and then restart engine to re-check engine performance.

5-4-3 INSPECT FILTERS AND TANK LINES
      (1) Check the air filter Replace as needed
      (2) Inspect the fuel feed pipe for any restriction or damage
      Replace as needed
      (3) Check the fuel tank outlet filter as well Replace as needed
      (6) Inspect the fuel return pipe for any restriction or damage.
      Replace as needed .

5-4-1 CHECK CRANKCASE OIL LEVEL AND FOLLOW STARTING PROCEDURE
      (1) Check the oil level and add or drain oil until to the proper crankcase level.
      Low oil or overfilled crankcase oil can cause fuel pump malfunction due to low crankcase
      vacuum or a pump restriction due to oil carry over into the pump.
      (2) Turn the ignition switch to off, pull 5 or 6 times, then turn switch back to on and start engine
      normally.
      Following this extra starting procedure on an EFI engine will ensure the cylinder is not
      flooded and/or ensure the fuel system has been purged of excess air.
      (3) Inspect EFI wire harness for damage. Inspect harness yellow wire with engine temperature
      senor closely for damage.
      A broken temperature sensor can cause erratic engine performance.
      Replace harness as a complete assembly as needed.
      (4) While still installed on the engine, inspect throttle body assembly for major damage.
      Replace as needed.
      5-4-2 INSPECT FUEL PUMP PULSE LINE
      (1) Inspect the fuel pump pulse line for any restriction, air leaks or damage Replace as
      needed
      (2) Inspect fuel pump cover on the bottom of the throttle body for cracks or damage. Pay close
      attention in the pulse fitting area for cracks.
      (3) Inspect throttle body pulse fitting. If throttle body pulse side fitting is loose, repair with green
      wicking grade Loctite #290 between fitting and pump cover.
      (4) Inspect small fuel pump foam filter. Clean or replace as needed.
      (5) Inspect fuel injector pressure port cap. If damaged, replace.
      (7) Check fuel pump reducer breather hole below throttle body fuel inlet fitting for liquid. If reducer hole
      has liquid exiting hole when engine is pulled over or running, replace fuel pump diaphragm assembly.

5-4-4 INSPECT OPERATING THROTTLE BODY FUEL PRESSURE
      After completing all previous steps and engine is still having poor fuel system performance
      follow these next steps:
      (1) Remove throttle body pressure port cap, taking care to not damage the cap.
      Connect Dwyer 490-1 manometer high pressure port to throttle body pressure port.
      Pull over engine 4 times with switch in the off position.
      Hold manometer port and hose level with throttle body pressure port and read fuel system
      pressure.
      Just after pulling the engine over, fuel system pressure should be between 2 and 4 p.s.i. If
      the pressure is below 2 p.s.i., go to step 3.
      (2) If the pressure is ok when pulling the engine over, start engine and operate at full load
      speed for the application, allow engine to warm up for 5 minutes at full load. Hold
      manometer port and hose level with throttle body pressure port and read fuel system
      pressure. Under full load, fuel system pressure should be between 2 and 4 p.s.i.
      If pressure reading is lower than 2 p.s.i., inspect the bottom of the throttle body for
      cracks or damage. Pay close attention in the pulse fitting area for cracks. Cracks or
      damage on the pulse side of the fuel pump can cause low fuel pressure.
      Inspect throttle body pulse fitting. If throttle body pulse side fitting is loose, repair with
      green wicking grade Loctite #290 between fitting and pump cover.
      If the pump cover and fitting are ok, check fuel level, fuel feed line and tank outlet
      filters for restriction. If all are ok and throttle body still has low pressure, replace the throttle
      body or fuel pump assembly.
      If pressure reading is higher than 4 p.s.i., re-check the fuel return pipe for any restriction or
      damage. Replace as needed and retest. If pressure is above 4 p.s.i., and the return line is
      good, replace the throttle body assembly.

5-4-5 INSPECT THE THROTTLE BODY WITH THE COMPUTER DIAGNOSITIC TOOL
      If throttle body pressure is ok but fuel system performance is still no good after flowing all the
      previous steps, do the following:
      (1) Remove rubber ECU data port cover from throttle body
      Connect Throttle body/ computer data cable, part number 987190001 to RS232 9 pin COM port on a computer that has the program ECU_TS940_V1_V06B
      installed on it
      For ECU power, use the cable switch.
      (4) Switch power switch on cable to off
      (5) Plug in cable to ECU data port with red wire towards the engine.
      (6) Open program ECU_TS940_V1_V06B.exe. When the program opens, hit the blue “continue”
      button.
      (7) Just after hitting the continue button, turn cable switch to “on”. Green light in upper left of
      screen should be on.
      When in the dashboard screen, view TPS reading.
      Measure TPS reading by reading the TPS value on the screen for 3 to 5 seconds. Reading
      should be stable and should read 90 to 100% tps with the engine off and at rest with throttle
      at the wide open stop. If TPS reading is ok, go to step 12.
      If TPS reading is 0 or out of range or does not move when the governor lever is actuated,
      click the “Restore set up default in ECU” button on the computer. Click yes when asked.
      After restoring the default settings, the TPS reading should be stable and should read
      90 to 100% TPS with the engine off and at rest with the throttle at wide open. If TPS
      reading is now ok, re-run engine. If ok, re-install rubber ECU port cap onto throttle body.
      Re-adjust mechanical governor setting by standard procedure and re-run engine. If ok,
      re-install rubber ECU data port cap onto throttle body.
      If TPS reading is still out of range after proper governor adjustment, replace the throttle body.
      If TPS reading is ok and there are still run issues, check the value of the engine temp on
      on the screen. If value is a negative number, check wire harness to ECU connection. If
      harness connection is ok, check yellow block temperature sensor wire and ring terminal
      for damage. If damaged replace wire harness as an assembly.
      If TPS and block temperature are ok but engine still does not run: With cable connected
      to computer, turn switch on and pull engine over. On system dashboard, make note if
      engine rpm reading moves when engine is pulled over.
      If no rpm reading is found when engine is pulled over, check wire harness green wire
      for connection to ignition module. If wire harness is damaged, replace the wire harness
      as an assembly.
      If engine misses at no load but runs correctly otherwise: Plug into ECU data port and
      read dashboard engine speed while engine is running at no load. If dashboard reads
      excessively high engine speed like 10,000 rpm or more, replace throttle body assembly
      because of defective ECU.
      After reading the ECU, turn cable switch to “off” and unplug ECU connector. Replace
      ECU data port cap on throttle body.
      When replacing the throttle body assembly, always install a new fuel tank outlet filter.

If ECU check ok but engine still does not start, inspect the power generation module. To
      inspect the power generation module inspect the red wire with a voltmeter. Connect red
      lead of voltmeter to red wire of the power generation coil. Connect the black wire of the
      meter grounded to the engine. Pull engine over with switch on. Voltage should read
      8V DC minimum with each pull. If not, replace power generation coil.

5-5 ALTITUDE THROTTLE BODY PROGRAMMING

(1) If engine is to be used continuously at altitudes above 5000 feet, throttle body must be
      re-programmed to avoid poor engine performance, spark plug fouling, had starting and
      increased emissions.
      To program the ECU for high altitude operation: Remove rubber ECU data port cover
      from throttle body.
      Connect throttle body/computer data cable to RS232 9 pin COM port on a computer
      that has the program ECU_TS940_V1_V06B.exe, from disk, installed onto it.
      Switch power switch on cable to “off”
      Plug in cable to ECU data port with red wire towards the engine.
      Open program ECU_TS940_V1_V06B.exe. When the program opens, hit the blue “continue” button.
      Just after hitting the continue button, turn cable switch to “on”. Green light in upper left
      of screen should be on.
      When in the dashboard screen, click “load setup file button”
      Load file 6000PW.stp
      Click “Yes store this setup to PPM”
      After save, button will pop up to confirm map load. Click ok
      After load, click “Read setup from ECU” button to confirm that the map 6000PW is on ECU.
      After reading the ECU, turn cable switch to “off” and unplug ECU connector. Replace ECU
      data port cap on throttle body.

Engine converted to high altitudes cannot be run below 5000 feet or lower. In doing so, the
      engine will overheat and cause serious engine damage. To restore the settings for 5000 feet
      and lower do the following
      Connect throttle body/computer data cable to RS232 9 pin COM port on a computer that
      has the program ECU_TS940_V1_V06B.exe, from disk, installed onto it.
      Switch power switch on cable to “off”
      Plug in cable to ECU data port with red wire towards the engine.
      (20) Just after hitting the continue button, turn cable switch to “on”. Green light in upper left
      of screen should be on.
      (21) When in the dashboard screen, click “Restore setup defaults in ECU” button.
      (22) Click ok, and ok, and map for below 5000 feet use has been restored.
      (23) After reading the ECU, turn cable switch to “off” and unplug ECU connector. Replace
      ECU data port cap on throttle body.

You can order the service cd 987190001 from from Ridgid, plug into the ecu and easily diagnose the system yourself using the above instuctions.
      Last edited by Wagonman13; 07-02-2010, 01:38 PM. Reason: updates

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
        If the engine oil level checks ok, you may have a power coil issue with the EFI. It wasn't an uncommon failure on the early EFI engines. If it's the power coil, it's a warranty repair and you'll automatically get the improved coil.
        Any chance the new models have this improved coil, and if so, what date to look for?

Comment

Any unit dated 2010 is at least 90% likely to have the newer coil. Nov & Dec 2009 units are about 50/50. Any unit made before Nov 2009 is going to have the old coil, with a very few exceptions possible.
          "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
            Any unit dated 2010 is at least 90% likely to have the newer coil. Nov & Dec 2009 units are about 50/50. Any unit made before Nov 2009 is going to have the old coil, with a very few exceptions possible.
            I checked a box at HD today and it was dated May of 2010. There was only one and it was re-stapled and re-taped, the kind of box I tend to avoid. We weren't there to buy one, but I just couldn't help but peek.

One thing about this model that seems less desirable is the brass unloader adjustment that requires a socket or wrench. Those big plastic knobs that can be turned by hand seem more convenient. I would hope they have high and low pressure limits.

I also wonder if there any reason why a pressure gauge should not be permanently mounted on an inverted T-fitting before the quick-connect fitting.

As you can see, I always like to think things to death...

Comment

Working...
            X