Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3000 psi power washer RD80746/RD80947

3000 psi power washer RD80746/RD80947

When I start the pressure washer the pump will build up pressure and stall the engine. I took the pump apart and there is no blockage or broken parts, After I installed the pump I had good water flow without the engine started, when the engine started same results.....Help

Re: 3000 psi power washer RD80746/RD80947

I have the same problem. Pump warranty expired 3 weeks ago :-(

I've localized the problem to the water inlet/outlet portion of the water pump. The engine runs fine.

I took apart the assembly and can't find anything visibly wrong but I'm suspecting that something is wrong with one or more of the one way valves. I'm unsure how to remove them though without damaging them.

Any help appreciated.

Comment

the thing that comes to mind is an unloader that is stuck.

the pump has 6 check valves and the 3 high pressure ones would need to be stuck closed for it to be in the pump.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        the thing that comes to mind is an unloader that is stuck.

the pump has 6 check valves and the 3 high pressure ones would need to be stuck closed for it to be in the pump.

rick.
        Thanks Rick. I disassembled the pump unit. All the one way valves are in brand new condition. The unloader seems OK to me. I unscrewed the first cap which has the black spring and two bronze discs in it. There was some yellow grease in there and no corrosion. Again, looks brand new (I should mention that even though this pressure washer is 3 years old, I've only used it maybe 6 times in total!). Then I unscrewed the lower unit that pull out from the main assembly. This piece has a metal piston that appears actuated by the black spring I previously removed. The amount of play in this metal piston is less than 2 millimetres. Otherwise this all seems fine as well.

I'm stumped... tomorrow I think I'll put it all back together and try again to see if it works now.

Comment

wait for the expert "dr deere" to chime in. he's a factory repair tech and typically can give you answers based on first hand been there seen that.

hopefully he sees the bat signal in the sky

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Here's a link to the breakdown of the AR axial pump. Not the exact model, but it is correct as far as parts and part location goes...

AR North America - RMV 3400 rpm Breakdown

Given your symptoms, I'd first check part number 37 on that diagram. It's an oring on the outlet valve. When the pump quits passing water the problem is almost always either with this or the little unloader stem oring (part number 17). Ridgid/TTI does NOT offer replacement parts for the pump. Check it out and tell us what you find... I can provide part numbers and a source if you narrow it down.
            "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

I've also shot a video of the symptoms the power washer is exhibiting if this may help diagnose the problem. The video is at:

Thanks.

Comment

Doctordeere, can you tell me how to remove part #41 from the pump assembly diagram you listed above? The piece seems to free spin and a slotted screwdriver turning it doesn't help it come out. I can't seem to get any purchase on the part with pliers and am afraid of marring the part if I mess around with it too much. Thanks.

Comment

Sheetrock screw.
                  Unless you happen to have a set of ez-outs, but most folk don't.

Comment

I had this same problem today. I used the washer once, lent it to a neighbor, moved, let it sit with a bit of gas in it for over a year during a move, lent it to someone else, and then tried to use it yesterday. Needless to say it had a few issues. I flushed and replaced the oil, put in new gas, and started it up. It started and ran, and I washed the concrete porch with it, but the pressure was lower than I remembered. It turns out the thing would only run with the choke closed...

I took the carb apart, cleaned all of the bits ( the main was PLUGGED), and reassembled. It then started with no choke, but would only run when I held the trigger to allow the water to flow through. When ever I released the trigger, the engine would stall. I could not pull the starter cord without releasing the water pressure by pulling the trigger again. And it was a lot of pressure... so the washer would only run as long as I held the trigger down. It would not idle. It took a while, but I knew the carb was good, so it had to be something else.

BTW, I don't know anything about motors or pumps, I just like taking things apart.

So I decided to start taking the pump apart and seeing what was what. I took off every piece off I could without taking the pump off the engine. Nothing appeared corroded or stuck, but I put a little marine grease onto all of the o-rings, springs, and balls. I tried to get to #37, but I could not get that black plastic piece out... It is the piece that has the little hole in the middle and a slot for a BIG flathead screwdriver. I was able to unscrew it and feel the threads undo after one full turn, but I couldn't get it out... argh. So I put it all back together, turned on the water, and ta-da! The washer started like new, idled, and had full pressure- WOW!

Oh, also- it looks like my buddy changed the soap input to go directly from the hopper to the black swivel input on the back of the pump and there was a tube missing. In order to alleviate any issues there, I took the short tube and connected the two soap inputs on the pump together. So now I have no soap input ability, but that is ok for now. I wanted to finish washing the house before I froze and didn't try running the washer without those two inputs closed.

So I didn't do anything other than grease up all of the parts in the pump and clean the carb to get it back to running condition. I was not able to get to part #37, but I would love to know how... I created a few interesting tools in order to get that thing out, but that small quest.

Sorry for the long post.

*edit* I didn't refresh before posting, nice video Rigidguy! I thought we had the same issue before I saw your video, but no. And thanks for the sheet-metal screw idea, Doctordeere!- Jase

-Jase
                    Last edited by jasef; 10-02-2011, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jasef View Post

Oh, also- it looks like my buddy changed the soap input to go directly from the hopper to the black swivel input on the back of the pump and there was a tube missing. In order to alleviate any issues there, I took the short tube and connected the two soap inputs on the pump together. So now I have no soap input ability, but that is ok for now. I wanted to finish washing the house before I froze and didn't try running the washer without those two inputs closed.

-Jase
                      @ Jasef: The black swivel "input" on the pump is a pressure relief valve, not an input valve! Don't attach anything to it!

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
                        Sheetrock screw.
                        Doctordeere: Thanks for your help with this. I dissassmbled the two parts you listed (high pressure water outlet and unloader). Drywall screw worked perfect! The high pressure water outlet appears fine (part #37 you mention above). However o-ring #17 was indeed broken. I replaced it with the size listed on the part diagram for the AR Axial Pump (6.07x1.78 mm). Strange that the two o-rings sit side by side and are different sizes. It looks as though they should both be large size.

At any rate I lubed up the assembly with some lithium grease and reassembled the water pump. Hooked it up to the pressure washer, attached the line and the first thing I noticed is that I now have a small leak coming from the seam where the water pipe assembly (pump head) attaches to the axial pump housing :-( Dunno why because everything is in place. Screws are tight.

Tried to start it and the problem is exactly the same. No go :-(

I shot a video of the disassembled parts which I'll post separately as soon as YouTube finishes uploading it. Maybe you can take a look and tell me if I missed anything? Otherwise I'm all out of ideas!

Comment

Sheetrock screw.
                          For some reason when I post a reply it intermittently will not post it until "approved by a moderator". Apologies if this creates double posts.

Doctordeere: I broke down the pump unit and checked o-rings #17 and 37 as you suggested. #37 was fine. #17 was broken. So I replaced with the size suggested in the AR Axial Pump diagram link you sent. I note that this o-ring is much thinner than the o-ring directly above it. I'm assuming this is normal.

I regreased the assembly and put it all back together. Tried to start it and the problem persists :-(

Here's another video I took. Thoughts appreciated as I'm totally stumped now. Should the unloader assembly have three o-rings? Mine only has two.

Thanks!

Comment

Look at this previous post for a detailed picture of a correctly working unloader stem. Note the placement of the orings and the small brown backup ring...

https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t37889/#post347940

Click the picture for a bigger view.

Comment

Look at this previous post for a detailed picture of a correctly working unloader stem. Note the placement of the orings and the small brown backup ring...

https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t37889/#post347940

Click the picture for a bigger view.
                              OK thanks again DD. Clearly I had the small oring in the wrong spot! I moved it and checked the unloader body and there di appear to be something at the bottom which I took to be the brown backup washer. I didn't try to pry it out though for fear of damaging it.

So I reassembled it and fired it up. For a few seconds I thought I had success because it seemed to be running but then I prematurely opened the choke and the engine stalled. When I tried to restart it, same problem again!

I then disassembled the unloader again (see picture). This time the brown washer came out too. The picture doesn't show well it but it's broken, although still stays on the unloader stem OK.

Attachment

Is there any possibility the problem is not with the unloader???
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X