X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18V Drill Sparks

Started this years work with my year old lithium 18V drill. Sparks fly out the side off and on as you pull the trigger. I see it lit up inside when not sparking out the side . Also some bad burnt smell. Any ideas??

Re: 18V Drill Sparks

Originally posted by elkman12 View Post
    Started this years work with my year old lithium 18V drill. Sparks fly out the side off and on as you pull the trigger. I see it lit up inside when not sparking out the side . Also some bad burnt smell. Any ideas??
    I suggest you go back to the "all knowing reps" you found before whose information you trusted more than the members on this forum with thousands of man hours actually working with these tools.

Comment

Is this a new drill or an old one?

I have noticed that all both my 18- and 14.4-v drills sparked when I first got them and of course, you got that "new" smell as the brushes were worn in.

Frankly, I decided at the time that it was simply something that occurred because of the newness of the tool. Universal motors often spark. After a while, I simply haven't paid attention. The tools have held up fine for several years now... I'll have to look to see if they still spark.

CWS

Comment

cwsmith
        "The all knowing reps" Said the same thing as you. As they get used more they will do it less. Sounds like roadrashray has a touchy nerve.

Comment

I'm not exactly sure what Roadrash is referring to, as I haven't read any earlier posts on this sparking question. But don't blame his response, as most of us have run into all too many tales from some of the Depot's sales associates. As for the forum members, there's an unbelievable amount of experience on here and it's not hard to run into a bit of frustration on those occasions when good advice is provided only to be met with something from a questionable source.

We also read a great amount of redundant questions. I guess it's just human to post the question rather than do a search and I'm certainly as guilty of that as anyone. Sometimes answering the same question for the umpteenth time can be a bit trying.

The point is that none of us are perfect or that our replies are as patient as they might be... we all have our bad days. But, most of the time the experiences represented by our forum friends is tremendous and certainly this forum's great reputation, reflects the best intentions of it's members.

CWS
          Last edited by CWSmith; 06-06-2010, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Sometimes a little careful breaking in can help.

1. Under no load run drill in forward for about 5 minutes.

2. With drill fully stopped flip reversing switch and run in reverse about 5 minutes and again under no load.

3. Repeat step 1

Note: If you mostly see lots of sparking when you release the trigger, try slowly releasing it. That way it won't slam on the electro-dynamic (short circuit motor) braking. This helps save gears too.

Comment

Working...
            X