cut off discs with angle grinder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cut off discs with angle grinder

I just purchased a Rigid angle grinder and the salesman at HD helped me find an appropriate cut off wheel. Reading the instructions it cautions me not to use cut off wheels. The Internet search brought up discussions about too high rpms for some cut off wheels. the Norton wheel I purchased has rpm max at 13,500. Is it OK to use this wheel?

Re: cut off discs with angle grinder

both the 4 1/2 Ridgid grinders seem to rated at 10,000
    http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R1005-An...r/EN/index.htm
    http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Heavy-Du...r/EN/index.htm

I do not see a problem,

use a guard, and wear eye protection and gloves, doesn't hurt to keep your welding leathers on as well, (they will keep you from catching you clothes on fire from the grinding sparks. .

I would be more concerned about pinching one and damaging it and then continue to use it when damaged,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I seem to recall a few months ago, that this subject came up. I think the caution issued against using cut-off wheels on this angle grinder had something to do with that particular guard not being "OSHA" certified for use with cut-off wheels.

I'm still not clear as to the problem or exactly what the answer was.

I happen to have a Ryobi angle grinder and I do not recall seeing such a warning on it. That grinder is about four years old, but I believe is quite similar to the current model.... so I don't know if there is a warning statement in the current model's manual.

Does anyone have any updated information regarding the problem/use of cutoff wheels on the Ridgid model that may expand on the manual's statement?

CWS

Comment

The following is a quote from ProBrand on a similar topic:

“The RIDGID R1001 Angle Grinder has an included type 27 guard and is certified to Underwriters Laboratories (U.L.) product safety standards. U.L. requires only type 27 depressed center grinding wheels be used with type 27 guards. Type 1 straight or cut-off wheels have no depressed center posing a safety concern to the operator when connected to a type 27 guard. In no circumstance should a type 1 straight cut-off wheel be used with a type 27 guard. Please contact RIDGID customer for further assistance: 866-539-1710.”

Comment

Thanks Everyone this was very helpful. The cutting off disc does have the recessed center. I will take everyones saftey precautions to heart.

Comment

reConx,

Thanks for posting ProBrand's "definitive" answer to the question. Somehow I managed to miss that.

It's is good to know exactly what the reason is and this certainly makes is perfectly clear.

Thanks again,

CWS

Comment

Credit to ReConx for posting this.
              Here is his post only larger so it's easier to read.

“The RIDGID R1001 Angle Grinder has an included type 27 guard and is certified to Underwriters Laboratories (U.L.) product safety standards. U.L. requires only type 27 depressed center grinding wheels be used with type 27 guards. Type 1 straight or cut-off wheels have no depressed center posing a safety concern to the operator when connected to a type 27 guard. In no circumstance should a type 1 straight cut-off wheel be used with a type 27 guard. Please contact RIDGID customer for further assistance: 866-539-1710.”

Comment

You need a different backing washer for cut off wheels. DeWalt sells them. The disks will bow and break without them, it will grip the metal hub, it is a smaller diameter washer/mounting flange. HD ,Lowe's have them. The OSHA stuff , well if you need to meet that for a job site but give me a break, we have used cut off wheels for how many years with the standard guards and now they are dangerous without a "special guard". Right. Be sure to wear eye and hand protection as any disk or wheel could break apart and the guard will never be totally safe anyway.

Comment

Working...
                X