Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIDGID 3000psi pressure washer (Gas in the Oil)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIDGID 3000psi pressure washer (Gas in the Oil)

I started up my pressure washer and it started I had pressure and was using it for about 5 minutes before it shut off. It would no start and i could smell gas. Waited about an 1 hr and it started white smoke coming from exhaust but again worked for about 5 minutes before dieing again. Read post here and suggestion that the oil level might be low so I opened it and it was way over full and the oil was very thin and while cleaning up it had a strong gas smell to it. Yes gas in the oil HOW ??? What do I do to correct????

thanks

jim

Re: RIDGID 3000psi pressure washer (Gas in the Oil)

I'm no expert, but you need to drain the oil. Refill oil so the oil level is half way between the "X"'s on the dipstick, not to the top of stick. You may also need to clean out the air filter compartment, it prob has oil in it as well.

Comment

Hello
      What did this turn out to be? I have the same issue today and I can't find any similar threads.

Comment

Mine has a strong smell of gas in the oil as well... mine is the 3300psi model... not very happy about it.

Comment

Got the 3000 psi model with the subaru engine and it's been good for the first 9 or so months but today it died twice with a big belch of smoke each time. Checked the oil and it overflowed and was very thin and smells of gas. I drained it into a clear container to see if it separates but I think the two fluids are pretty well mixed and aren't separating into layers. Pretty annoyed myself as it's only on it's third tank of gas so I wouldn't expect seals or gaskets to be worn this quickly. Hoping it's something dumb like a fuel overflow line draining into the crankcase somehow but that's wishful thinking I'm sure! Looking forward to hearing how the initial poster handled the issue!

Comment

on a down draft type carburetor, the floats needle vale is not seating fully is usually the cause,
            on a up draft usually the carburetor will drip out the air intake, and not make it to the Cylinder.

most likely your getting raw gas from the carburetor when it is setting and getting into the piston area and seeping past the rings as it sets, (at least this is what it most likely be a a auto engine)

since I am not familiar with the engine or it design, but most likely shutting off the gas, or running the tank dry will solve the gas in oil storage problem

on some engines the needle has a rubber tip and alcohol may have eroded that tip some.

I am not saying this is your problem but this is where I would start looking
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks so much for your reply BHD! That actually makes a lot of sense because while I normally shut the gas and run the motor til it runs dry but the last time I must have not been paying attention to what I was doing because I left the gas on. I will refill with oil and be sure to follow the run dry procedure next time and see if I have that issue again. Thanks again for the reply! I hope that helps alphacowboy as well!

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                most likely your getting raw gas from the carburetor when it is setting and getting into the piston area and seeping past the rings as it sets, (at least this is what it most likely be a a auto engine)
                That's exactly it.
                The inlet needle should prevent this, and does in a perfect world, but debris can (and will) get on the needle's face and varnish can form on the needle/seat, and that causes fuel to bypass. Most equipment will utilize a fuel valve either at the tank outlet or on the carburetor itself (as is the case with the engine in question) and the operator's manual will clearly suggest that this valve be turned to the "OFF" position whenever the equipment is not in use.
                "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
                  That's exactly it.
                  The inlet needle should prevent this, and does in a perfect world, but debris can (and will) get on the needle's face and varnish can form on the needle/seat, and that causes fuel to bypass. Most equipment will utilize a fuel valve either at the tank outlet or on the carburetor itself (as is the case with the engine in question) and the operator's manual will clearly suggest that this valve be turned to the "OFF" position whenever the equipment is not in use.

That is exactly what I started doing!

Comment

Working...
                  X