X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me pick a drill

I have been looking and need some advice. I am looking for a pretty good drill that can be had for under 200.00.

I have narrowed it down to these

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...2&blockType=G2

http://www.homedepot.com/Makita/h_d1...atalogId=10053

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10...volt+craftsman

I like the makita, but the batteries seem to be only purchased online. It has great reivews on it. Amazon has 244 reviews at 4.5 stars and on home depot website 44 reviews at 4.5 stars.

The cordless 19.2 volt craftsman seems to be a pretty good buy as well and once you add the second battery it is cheaper than the makita, but not able to find many reviews on it. The batteries can be purchased at sears so that is a plus.

The plus in 6.5 amp as I am not sure how it compares to the other two. One you do not have to worry about running out of power unless power goes out and you have to pull out an extension cord. I do have plugs easily available so that is alright as well. I like this one as well as it is a 3/8, which is the same as the one I am replacing.

So what do you think?

Re: Help me pick a drill

I have owned craftsman 18 volt then upgraded tot he 19.2 volt drill.
    Not a bad drill or a good drill it is great drill for light use. Draw back is the long time to recharge the nicad batteries , 90 minutes i think, so when i was using it everyday for work i purchased 2 spare battery packs.
    I have since given that drill away and went with the 18 volt Ridgid drill. I purchased mine when they are sale , if your not ina hurry look at those, and watch the sale flyers

Comment

Personally I'd stay away from Craftsman battery powered anything. While I'm sure the tools are fine, getting replacement batteries is a hassle. Every year or 2 Sears subs out their battery powered tools to a different manufacturer, so the batteries are different. You can't just ask for a 18v battery and expect to get the one that will fit your tool. You need the model number and preferabily bring to tool along as well...and in the end you'll probably have to order it. My friend works at Sears and says batteries are the biggest source of customer dissatifaction in his store. Good luck, Mike

Comment

Originally posted by stuart_canada View Post
        Not a bad drill or a good drill it is great drill for light use. Draw back is the long time to recharge the nicad batteries , 90 minutes i think, so when i was using it everyday for work i purchased 2 spare battery packs.
        I have since given that drill away and went with the 18 volt Ridgid drill. I purchased mine when they are sale , if your not ina hurry look at those, and watch the sale flyers
        That is a lithium ion one so it takes 30 minutes or so to charge. I have looked at stuff for about a week or so different sites and reviews. The rigids never seem to have that great of reviews. I was expecting that to be the favorite here anyways because of the site.

Originally posted by mike65072 View Post
        Personally I'd stay away from Craftsman battery powered anything. While I'm sure the tools are fine, getting replacement batteries is a hassle. Every year or 2 Sears subs out their battery powered tools to a different manufacturer, so the batteries are different. You can't just ask for a 18v battery and expect to get the one that will fit your tool. You need the model number and preferabily bring to tool along as well...and in the end you'll probably have to order it. My friend works at Sears and says batteries are the biggest source of customer dissatifaction in his store. Good luck, Mike
        I have had a 15.6 volt craftsman drill for I know at least 10 years or so. I was able to go into sears and pick up a battery with no issues. So not sure if it may be a problem or not.

Anyone have any feedback on the other two? How does that plug in one compare to the battery ones?

Comment

IMO,
          if your not going to be using it much, I would go with the corded too, In my experience unless the cordless are being used regularly, I have found that the batteries are nearly always discharged, and when they are discharged they go bad. and then you have to wait to charge up the batteries wait 30 to 45 Min's, for that then do the job,
          Yes I know cords are a hassle as well, but they can set for years and work instantly,
          In my experience the batteries are averaging out to 1 to 3 years at the most, and then need replacement,

If your using it a lot the cordless too is nice, I personally would either go Dewalt or Ridgid, (they have the life time service agreement, said to cover batteries), My SIL an electrician likes Makita, but I have some frustration with sears and the batteries, (they changed the type of cordless and then the batteries jumped about double in replacement cost, so I ended up dumping the drill), regardless I would go with a quality brand that will carry on the batteries style for a reasonable time, most name brand tools have a good unit, a lot In my Opinion is what your supplier has and where your going to buy, and get replacement batteries, (in my area Dewalt is handled by many and I can get tools and batteries at my local lumber yard, and not drive 50 to 150 miles for things, (my reason for Dewalt),

I would go Makita over Sears,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by stuart_canada View Post
            Originally posted by mike65072 View Post
            Originally posted by BHD View Post
            IMO,
            if your not going to be using it much, I would go with the corded too, In my experience unless the cordless are being used regularly, I have found that the batteries are nearly always discharged, and when they are discharged they go bad. and then you have to wait to charge up the batteries wait 30 to 45 Min's, for that then do the job,
            Yes I know cords are a hassle as well, but they can set for years and work instantly,
            In my experience the batteries are averaging out to 1 to 3 years at the most, and then need replacement,

If your using it a lot the cordless too is nice, I personally would either go Dewalt or Ridgid, (they have the life time service agreement, said to cover batteries), My SIL an electrician likes Makita, but I have some frustration with sears and the batteries, (they changed the type of cordless and then the batteries jumped about double in replacement cost, so I ended up dumping the drill), regardless I would go with a quality brand that will carry on the batteries style for a reasonable time, most name brand tools have a good unit, a lot In my Opinion is what your supplier has and where your going to buy, and get replacement batteries, (in my area Dewalt is handled by many and I can get tools and batteries at my local lumber yard, and not drive 50 to 150 miles for things, (my reason for Dewalt),

I would go Makita over Sears,
            Yea I know what you are saying about the corded as well and that was my thought plus it is cheaper. The downside is when you want to use it, you have to drag out the cord and use it.

So I do not use it that much right now, but sometimes will do it. I have plugs pretty easily accessible so that is not much of an issue.

The makita just have such good reviews anywhere I look and that is why I thought about it.

I also saw this one

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

An extra impact drive for under 100.00 bucks, but what is the difference betwen an impact driver and a drill?

Thanks.

Comment

Here is another one I found

http://www.lowes.com/pd_166939-67702...te=R#prod-tabs

Comment

also when choosing cordless tools, IMO, look at the other tools the company offers,
                and takes the same batteries, over the years I started with a Dewalt drill and small saw, 2 batteries and charger, then I was some what in need of a third battery and later I added a reconditioned reciprocating saw, battery and charger, (nice to have two chargers if having more then one tool), and since then I have added many other tools that use the same battery voltage and type, and some 12 volt car chargers,
                some of the additional tools were bare bone, and some were reconditioned, but I had a interchangeable battery platform, that could be used in multiple tools, (I my self think that is a important consideration), choose a voltage and battery that is able to be used in multiple tools.

In my opinion having to keep up with three or four different battery types and voltages, and chargers may be more of an inconvenience than the convenience of having cordless tools, regardless of there superiority to others of the same type in a different brand,

(I guess what I am trying to say is choose a good brand, that will meet the majority of your desires, and that way you can build on the battery platform you have chosen).
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Please give us some good idea of the work you want the drill to do, how much per day and will this be a tool you're work hard and frequently or just now and then as a DIYer type.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                    also when choosing cordless tools, IMO, look at the other tools the company offers,
                    and takes the same batteries, over the years I started with a Dewalt drill and small saw, 2 batteries and charger, then I was some what in need of a third battery and later I added a reconditioned reciprocating saw, battery and charger, (nice to have two chargers if having more then one tool), and since then I have added many other tools that use the same battery voltage and type, and some 12 volt car chargers,
                    some of the additional tools were bare bone, and some were reconditioned, but I had a interchangeable battery platform, that could be used in multiple tools, (I my self think that is a important consideration), choose a voltage and battery that is able to be used in multiple tools.

In my opinion having to keep up with three or four different battery types and voltages, and chargers may be more of an inconvenience than the convenience of having cordless tools, regardless of there superiority to others of the same type in a different brand,

(I guess what I am trying to say is choose a good brand, that will meet the majority of your desires, and that way you can build on the battery platform you have chosen).
                    That is one reason why I like the craftsman C3 line as they can all use the same batteries.

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                    Please give us some good idea of the work you want the drill to do, how much per day and will this be a tool you're work hard and frequently or just now and then as a DIYer type.
                    Well usually when I do use it, it is normal conditions I use it as just drilling some screws in wood, maybe drill some holes in wood and sometimes possibly dealing with some metal and such. Right now I will be using to take up a deck that has been exposed to the elements and need some real power. I am either trying to drill out the screws or I am using a circular attachment to drill around them similar to making cookies. On a normal basis though just typical DIYer type stuff.

Comment

I've got the Cman C3 drill and the impact driver. It's been a good set, solid power, solid battery life, it does take a while to charge, and it's heavy. I also have a 14.4v Hitachi impact driver that I prefer over the C3 for most tasks...it's a lot lighter, more comfortable in my hands, has ample power, and the batts charge in under an hour.

Have you considered an impact driver over a drill? For driving and removing screws the impact drivers are amazing. You can always add a chuck for round drill bits if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
                        I've got the Cman C3 drill and the impact driver. It's been a good set, solid power, solid battery life, it does take a while to charge, and it's heavy. I also have a 14.4v Hitachi impact driver that I prefer over the C3 for most tasks...it's a lot lighter, more comfortable in my hands, has ample power, and the batts charge in under an hour.

Have you considered an impact driver over a drill? For driving and removing screws the impact drivers are amazing. You can always add a chuck for round drill bits if needed.
                        That is why I started to look at this.

And this one comes with a 3.0a battery instead of the 1.5.

The drill by itself is 199.99 and this is 279.99 with a impact driver.
                        Last edited by laurandavid; 06-06-2010, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by laurandavid View Post
                          And this one comes with a 3.0a battery instead of the 1.5. The drill by itself is 199.99 and this is 279.99 with a impact driver.
                          IMO I would get the 3.0Ah version for the higher Ah and the impact driver. For driving deck screws the impact driver with impact bits can't be beat. I have the Makita BHP452 and BTD140 with the 3.0Ah which are so light I have not used the 1.5Ah yet. Ridgid has a new X3 kit R963 with improved versions of the hammer drill, circular saw, impact driver, reciprocating saw, worklight so check them out. A special limited availability R9631 includes an extra 1.5Ah battery + radio
                          Last edited by reConx; 06-06-2010, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by reConx View Post
                            IMO I would get the 3.0Ah version for the higher Ah and the impact driver. For driving deck screws the impact driver with impact bits can't be beat. I have the Makita BHP452 and BTD140 with the 3.0Ah which are so light I have not used the 1.5Ah yet. Ridgid has a new X3 kit R963 with improved versions of the hammer drill, circular saw, impact driver, reciprocating saw, worklight so check them out. A special limited availability R9631 includes an extra 1.5Ah battery + radio
                            Does the impact driver do the same thing for removing screws as well? How do you like your makita? I just hear such good things about them on the net anywhere I look. That kit that comes with all of that will be a little out of my range though.

Comment

What are the differences between these two? I know the battery size, but one says Hammer Driver/Drill and the other just says Driver drill? Does that mean one has a hammer mode and the other one does not? Will this affect anything when I am trying to just like drill screws in wood or stuff like that. Will it alwasy be in hammer mode which I assume means it just bust our stuff or does it still have the normal drilling mode as well?

Here they are

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X