No announcement yet.

drill press questions

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • drill press questions

    I do some metal fab in the shop to keep my equipment runnign and as a hobby. My question is I would like a drill press to drill up to 1/2 " steel plate, but I dont know much about them. What would yall recommend as far as size and brand to do the give job??? As always $$$is always an option so the most cluck for the buck is something I always have to keep in mind. Thanks for all of yall's input.

  • #2
    Re: drill press questions

    this is my opinion,

    most likely any of standard 1/2" chucked "floor" drill presses, will work,
    most all the "home shop" type units should be capable to drilling 1/2 holes, (one may find step drilling easer to make it work easily, drill a 3/8 and then re drill with the 1/2".

    I have a Taiwan made unit, and used it for many years before I was able to afford better,

    IN my opinion most are more suited for wood working than metal working,

    there are heaver units out there but there more money,

    If your into metal working I would consider, a drill mill, if your dollars can go that far,

    I would also consider a unit if you go with a standard drill, that has a Morse taper arbor, that way if you have some problems with the chuck one can upgrade or change out chucks
    they make finger tight ball bearing chucks that are very nice for fast changes and if you have the Morse taper arbor, you can put a over sized chuck on the spindle, or even a high precision chuck, (the Ridgid press chuck attaches direct to the drill arbor),

    the standard drill press even with the morse taper will not take side pressures, (the chuck will drop out), so putting a compound vise on the table will not make it into a small mill), so that is why I suggest the drill mill if you can afford one, I think you would be happier with it,

    take a look in Grizzly and Enco, and MSC Industrial Supply and see some of the more industal or inbetween home and industrial tools,

    another consideration is to look in the phone book under machine tools and consider some thing used you may be able to find an industrial tool that no more cost than home tool price,
    and do not nessarly shy away from three phase,
    (there are converters to run off of single phase, (both static and rotary) and one can make a rotary unit out of a three phase motor, there are plans on the net or one can buy plans, but make sure the three phase motor can run on 220 volts, I ended up using converters at first before I was able to three phase in the shop, (one thing when using a static three phase converter, you need to down size the out put power of the 3 phase motor by 1/3) most rotary converters you can for the most part get full power out of them, I used a static converter on the mill for years. the static is fine for any thing that does not nessarly start under load, items that start under load will need a rotary converter, for starting loads, (compressors and the like), but drill presses normally do not start under load,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.