X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R3210 worm drive saw gearbox gets really hot

I bought a Ridgid worm drive last week brand new from Home Depot. First time using it, I was cutting stairs out of 2x12 pressure treated for a deck. In between cuts, I happened to touch the gearbox area, to the right of the oil fill, and it was extremely hot, almost to the point of being able to burn myself. I know the saw was getting a bit of a workout cutting the PT but this seemed a bit excessive to me. I've checked the oil and it seems fine (although the procedure with the dipstick could use a bit of improvement and yes I have seen the post on here detailing how to check the oil).

Now this is my first experience with a worm drive saw and my question really is what's normal for the saw in terms of how hot does the gearbox get? Of course I expect the saw to get warm with use, especially being brand new and the gears breaking in but it seemed excessive. I like the saw and just want to make sure it lasts. Thanks!

Re: R3210 worm drive saw gearbox gets really hot

I bought a R3210 worm drive saw yesterday at Home Depot. Before using it, I read the manual and checked the oil level. The oil level is only half-way to the lower mark on the dipstick. I have to go back and buy oil to fill it up.

Camrs73, are you sure your saw has enough oil? I agree with you that the procedure needs improvement.

PS - I have a Ridgid MS1290LZA compound mitre saw and I really like it. That was a big factor in buying the R3210.

Comment

Re: R3210 worm drive saw gearbox gets really hot

Tedn22

If you plan on really working your worm drive circular saw in a serious way, I strongly suggest returning it before putting it to use and taking a good long hard look at a Bosch 1677M. There's a huge difference in quality and features.

http://www.boschtools.com/Products/T...aspx?pid=1677M

Comment

Working...
      X