X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RD8000 Generator

Hey guys, I need to find a wiring diagram for the alternator head on the Ridgid RD8000 Generator. I believe it is a ArmourTM alternator. Who makes this. I know the generator is from TTI. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: RD8000 Generator

Try this link which will take you to the basic info site for your generator. Look for the number 34338 with RD8000 under it. Just to the right you should see 5 boxes with pictures in them. The left box is the owner's manual and next to it (looks like a gear or sprocket) is the parts list. In the parts list there's some basic wiring diagrams that may help you.

http://ridgid.com/Tools/RD8000-Generator/EN/index.htm

Both of these are .PDF Acrobat files you can download, view and print if you have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed. In case you need it, you can download it for free from the Adobe web site.

Welcome to the forum. I'm just one of the more active members.

Comment

Originally posted by elecdave View Post
      ...Who makes this. I know the generator is from TTI.
      It's made in China under contract with TTI. Same Chinese plants build the gen heads for TTI's Ridgid, Homelite and Husky units as well as dozens of other private label generators. They're surprisingly reliable considering their continent of origin.

If you're considering... um... 'modifying' the genset, keep in mind that it's a neutral bonded configuration (unlike most of the others) and will require 'un-bonding' if you're doing something particularly unorthodox with the unit. Also keep in mind that any modifications void the warranty and releases TTI from liability for any incidents that might arise as a result.
      "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Thanks, Woussko. Already been there though. I guess I should explain in a little more detail. A friend bought one of these generators second hand from habitat for $300, while buying items for his new house he was building.(which I wired for him) I saw it briefly and told him I thought it looked brand new and he got a great deal, but needed a couple of minor things done to it to get it running. Someone had hooked a piece of SO cord to the solenoid, (I assume to turn it over because the wires to the ignition switch were missing) but the cord was now cut off. Also the fuel line was not hooked up. I told him then that I would look at it some time and see what I could do to get it running. The house is now finished and I provided a Gen inlet and interlock in the panel for the generator. He brought the generator to the construction site and we loaded it on my truck. when I got it home I started looking at it closer and realized that the gas tank didn't even have a barb on it for the fuel line, not even a tapped hole for it. I couldn't understand how it got out of the factory like that. I removed the remote panel and found the cable for the starter folded up and taped inside, but only one spade on one wire. Well, I thought I could fix that easily enough. Went online and found parts list and wiring diagrams and proceeded to open up the other panels and found that none of the cables were connected and none of the jumpers for the CB's, outlets, GenSmart, or Turnlok receptacle were there. I decided to get some gas in this thing and see if it would even run. Found out that the gas cap doesn't lock in like it is supposed to do. Pulled on the gas gage because it was reading 3/4 full and it came off in my hand. Probably because it was just stuck on with a sticky pad. No hole or nothing. I had been calling my friend throughout this process and was talking to him then, and we had decided that this must have been a display model and somebody got ripped off (probably from HD). Well, I decided that I had better get some gas in it and see if it would even run. (who knows whats missing on the motor) I rigged a barb I had on the bottom of a coffee can and after checking the oil (was a little low but ok for a short run). Also I hooked up the cable coming from the alternator to the CB's and then to the twistlok plug, so I could check the output. Pulled the cord and it tried to start but would not run. Tried again a few times and then decided to disconnect the oil sensor, and sure enough it started and ran just fine, but no output at the outlet. I stopped it (I had wired the kill switch earlier) and removed the back of the alternator (which I started to do first), and sure enough the cables were not connected. Not the armature, regulator, brushes, nothing. The brushes aren't even rotated down to the shaft. I can plug in the regulator, but the brushes have two terminals and there are two wires coming out of the regulator (one with a + wire label on it). The four terminals on the block for the armature wires are labeled L1-L2-R1-R2. Thats what I need to know how to hook up the back of the head. Any help would be appreciated.
        Last edited by elecdave; 06-24-2010, 07:07 PM.

Comment

I actually have one of the units on my bench at work. If it will help, I'll snap a pic of the gen head wiring and post it tomorrow. Those four terminals (on the black terminal strip)... only three of them are actually used on the 8000. The actual wiring is hard to describe because there were two different stators used and they had different wire colors.

Comment

Thanks, doctordeere. That would be a great help. I thought I had the armature wires figured out. Figured there was only three terminations. But check and tell me which of the two wires for the brushes goes on top- red or green. Thanks again.

Comment

Never tried posting a picture here, so I hope this works...
              Anyway, about the brushes, the positive wire connects to the inboard brush terminal - the left-most one, the one that's farther recessed.
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the pic. & info. The genset I have has two black and two white wires. I only see one white wire from the armature (besides the jumper that bonds to the ground) on the center terminal. Shouldn't there be two (total 4 wires) on the center terminal. Also I see a bolt in the end of the shaft. I have none.

Comment

Gotta have the bolt. It's what secures the rotor to the engine crankshaft.

If your stator has two white wires and two black wires, what you have is NOT an RD8000 genset. Sounds like you've gotten yourself a pre-production mock-up built for visual display. It was never intended to run and operate, just to show folks what the RD8000 was supposed to look like.

It's going to be virtually impossible to determine which genset you actually have. If I had to make a best guess at it, I'd think (based on the four-wire stator that's roughly the correct physical size) that it's either a 5.7Kw or a 6.8Kw head. Whatever it is, it's not the correct 8Kw head.

You can try to get the unit to operate by combining the two white stator wires with the white outlet lead and using the short white jumper to bond to ground (all on the same terminal).

Comment

Can you tell me what size of metric bolt that is? And does it have to have a thrust washer or regular washer behind it?

Comment

I'm glad that DoctorDeere is able to help more than I can with this. Can you please check the engine to be sure it actually is a Subaru-Robin model EX40 and not something else? I'm wondering if you may have either a "Display Only", Proto Type, or maybe a RD6800 that somehow got boxed in a RD8000 box. If it does have a Subaru-Robin engine and you can state the model, I'm pretty sure I can link you to owner's manuals, parts lists and service manuals for it.

Comment

Woussko, his previous statements: "...realized that the gas tank didn't even have a barb on it for the fuel line, not even a tapped hole for it... found the cable for the starter folded up and taped inside, but only one spade on one wire... proceeded to open up the other panels and found that none of the cables were connected and none of the jumpers for the CB's, outlets, GenSmart, or Turnlok receptacle were there... Found out that the gas cap doesn't lock in like it is supposed to do... Pulled on the gas gage because it was reading 3/4 full and it came off in my hand. Probably because it was just stuck on with a sticky pad. No hole or nothing." lead me to believe that it's a pre-production mockup. The display units at HD are 100% complete and fully functional units.

Dave, I'm pretty sure the bolt is a US thread, not metric. 5/16x24 if I remember correctly, but I can't remember the length. It's a long one though - it runs all the way through the rotor and about an inch and a half into the crankshaft. You'll not find one in the hardware store or HD.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
                          Woussko, his previous statements: "...realized that the gas tank didn't even have a barb on it for the fuel line, not even a tapped hole for it... found the cable for the starter folded up and taped inside, but only one spade on one wire... proceeded to open up the other panels and found that none of the cables were connected and none of the jumpers for the CB's, outlets, GenSmart, or Turnlok receptacle were there... Found out that the gas cap doesn't lock in like it is supposed to do... Pulled on the gas gauge because it was reading 3/4 full and it came off in my hand. Probably because it was just stuck on with a sticky pad. No hole or nothing." lead me to believe that it's a pre-production mockup. The display units at HD are 100% complete and fully functional units.

Thanks for the "wake up call". I needed to go back and read all of the posts on this thread.

Comment

Working...
                          X