X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Pressure Washer Thread...

I was in my local Home Depot and they had a Refurbished Ridgid 3800 psi model RD80770. It looked well used for being less than 30 days old. They still wanted $699 and I decided they could keep it, but...

...It looked seriously heavy duty, except for the hose, maybe. Of course, it doesn't have a Cat pump, but instead an AR Triplex, which would probably last this homeowner forever-- well, unless I let people borrow it. And $899 is a very good price for this. I noticed that this model is not listed on the Ridgid website. Was it ever there? Is it discontinued? Perhaps an upcoming replacement will have the coveted Cat pump? I believe it originally was priced at $999, which makes me think it may be a closeout.

I was previously looking at the 3300 psi model RD80702. I like the idea of the fuel injected engine, but the hose is short, and I have a cedar shake roof. By the time I get a longer hose, I'm close to the price of the 3800 psi model. And I did read the post by Doctordeere in which it was hinted that the reliability of the EFI model might be somewhat less than that of the conventionally carbureted model, which no longer seems to exist. My local Home Depot has EFI models that were manufactured in late February 2010. Presumably those would have the latest cover design? The assembled unit had a thick flange under the bolts and the hose nipple extended out through the flange perpendicular to the bolts. It that the improved design?

I was toying with the idea of an electric 5 hp model from Northern Tool Supply. They have a portable direct drive model (with a short hose) and a stationary belt-drive model, both with Cat pumps. I was pricing 6 gauge wire and extension cords, GFCI breakers, and shipping(!) and decided that although it would be nice, the added costs were just prohibitive. It might have solved the "borrowing" problem, though!

Re: Another Pressure Washer Thread...

If you're just use a pressure washer now and then, you might want to check local tool rental yards to see what they have and how much it is to rent per day.

Comment

Well, I've got a lot of things to clean and don't want to do them all at once. I (cough) don't have a truck, so it's not an easy thing for me to rent. A pressure washer is something I've always thought I wanted. Or perhaps I'm looking for happiness through stuff acquisition.
      Last edited by Fishobaby; 06-27-2010, 11:48 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

That AR Triplex is easily the equal of any other pump on the market. CAT is more marketing hype than anything else. Like saying Ford is better than Chevy, all opinion and not fact. I don't know what country of origin CAT is anyway, but AR is Italian and anything I've bought Italian made was far superior to similar items I've bought made in the USA. There are many countries that take alot more pride in what they do than Americans.

You mention a roof... not planning on blasting away at your rooftop with high pressure anyway right?

Personally I think that 3800 psi PW is a great deal for the money even at new price. Good engine/pump coupled with a unique design is a winner in my book. BTW, you can always upgrade that hose for more strength/length. Later!

Comment

The 80770 is a great unit, but it's a wee bit overkill for a typical homeowner.

The unit was originally conceived as a Milwaukee branded unit but never came to retail. With a few changes in decals and paint color, TTI retails it now as a Ridgid branded unit. You can actually still find the Milwaukee every now and then at TTI's outlet stores at a really spectacular price, but getting any sort of warranty service is a chore since Milwaukee never officially supported it.

It has the best engine that you'll find on a PW in its class, the Honda GX series. And the pump is an AR triplex, which is a pretty darn good piece. It's not the wet dream inspiring centerfold that some folk here seem to think it is, but it's as good as you'll ever need.

The 80702 that's dated from late '09 and all the '10s have all the updates to the EFI. And the 80702 is probably more than sufficient for any Johnny Homeowner projects.
          "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Originally posted by shadow745 View Post
            You mention a roof... not planning on blasting away at your rooftop with high pressure anyway right?
            We have a Honda GX390 driving a Cat 6DX pump at work and I know the guys used it to clean a cedar shake roof with a fan tip. I guess I'm not entirely clear on the range of adjustment the adjustable unloaders provide, or even if this model has adjustment. I'll certainly ask them about it, and be very careful! 50 feet of hose probably isn't enough to reach the roof very well, anyway-- wait, there's a sky hook! I can hang it from the tree!

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
              The 80770 is a great unit, but it's a wee bit overkill for a typical homeowner.
              I have a corner lot with a lot of sidewalk and a double wide concrete driveway. I watched the neighbor clean his driveway and start to do the sidewalk. It took him all day. And I don't really like it if some other guy has a bigger one than I do...

The unit was originally conceived as a Milwaukee branded unit but never came to retail. With a few changes in decals and paint color, TTI retails it now as a Ridgid branded unit. You can actually still find the Milwaukee every now and then at TTI's outlet stores at a really spectacular price, but getting any sort of warranty service is a chore since Milwaukee never officially supported it.
              Yep, that's the one. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013ZCQC6
              And the frame style looks so much like the other Ridgid models. It says AR RKV pump, which is listed as "industrial duty" and "pressure flow control," whatever that might mean. Pump is shown here, and there seems to be a knob of some sort.

It has the best engine that you'll find on a PW in its class, the Honda GX series. And the pump is an AR triplex, which is a pretty darn good piece. It's not the wet dream inspiring centerfold that some folk here seem to think it is, but it's as good as you'll ever need.
              Yes, it would so need an oil pump for that!

The 80702 that's dated from late '09 and all the '10s have all the updates to the EFI. And the 80702 is probably more than sufficient for any Johnny Homeowner projects.
              Good to know, and yet the other one is priced so well...
              I guess I couldn't go wrong, either way.

Comment

I found a PDF Operator's Manual and a Service Parts List on the milwaukeetool.com website for their 4555-22 pressure washer, which may be of some use since the RD80770 is not listed on the ridgid.com website.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishobaby View Post
                  Well, I've got a lot of things to clean and don't want to do them all at once. I (cough) don't have a truck, so it's not an easy thing for me to rent. A pressure washer is something I've always thought I wanted. Or perhaps I'm looking for happiness through stuff acquisition.
                  Oh gawd. Aren't we all?!!?!!

You'll fit right in here!

Welcome to the Forum.

Comment

Working...
                  X