Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Case for 7-1/4" Circular Saw Blades?

All;

I just picked up a nice RIDGID Circular Saw, that accepts a 7-1/4" blade. Since the saw didn't come with a bag or molded case, I picked up a heavy canvas Husky brand canvas bag at the Depot.

Now, I have a problem in that I have no place to stow or store the extra blades.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Brad

Re: Case for 7-1/4" Circular Saw Blades?

Most if not all 7 1/4" blades have a kerf of less than 1/8".
    Pick up a sheet of 1/8" hardboard
    cut as many 9" X 8.25" squares as you want to store blades +1
    Cut a bunch of 3/4" strips sized 9" and 7.5"
    glue strips to sheets and repeat for # of blades.
    Make a pine (or other wood) lid with a hinge and latch

Here is a rough sketch
    Attached Files

Comment

I don't know of one particular brand or type, but a quick Google of "Circular Saw Blade Case" would certainly provide some ideas/sources.

Today, many saw blades come with a simple plastic carrier in which the blade simply snaps on to a center hub, much like a CD. I know I bought a replacement blade for my little 18-volt Ridgid cordless circ saw and I keep my old blade on it, in the shop.

I also recall seeing plans in a couple of older magazines for making "carriers" or storage devices by simply cutting a piece a ply to the desired shape, and using an adequate-sized bolt to hold the blade. Usually the final project had a handle or hand-hole cut in to the top and the cut/shape was such that it was slightly bigger than the blade in order to protect it.

I'm sure there must be some commercial products out there, though I can't personally refer you to one,

CWS

Comment

This might help with storing them in your workshop, but it's not going to help much for taking them out in the field.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=3228958

Comment

Thanks guys. All good ideas. I appreciate your responses and help.

Brad

Comment

a person can just use a bolt and some thing for spacers, even a square of cardboard, and stack a number of blades and use a thumb screw to keep them together,

I may be wrong here but for the most part the 71/4" saw has mostly been used for construction type work where your making what I would call rough cuts, yes on occasion I have used for ply wood and other, and have a few blades I store in the shop for those cuts,
            but the most part I just use the carbide construction blades, (and basically used them until there practically unusable),
            and normally I will use them until there down to just a few teeth, and if I do keep them I not real concern how there stored as If I do reuse them is on some nailed filled wood that will just tear up a new blade.

now on my table saw blades and arm-saw, and miter saw I have either the factory carrier or them stored with with spacers between them, and set up on a shelf,
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

My saw blades are protected by a chunk of either 3/16 or 1/4" Tygon fuel line split lengthwise. Works on my vintage hand saws (the ones that were my grandfathers and great grandfathers) and on my more expensive circular saw blades. Crude but efficient.
              "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Working...
              X