X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laser on 10" miter saw

This is driving me nuts. The laser tuins on when the blad is turning .... but it doesn't make it to the board being cut. When the blade is stpped and I press the button to turn it on I see the pin point right on the line where it should be ... so it should be adjust ok ...

richard

Re: Laser on 10" miter saw

I'm not at all clear on what you are asking?

Can I presume that you are talking about the Ridgid CMS with the hub-mounted laser which activates via a centrifugal force-like switch (comes on as it spins up)?

Normally, the light hits the workpiece with a line at or near where the blade kerf will be. If the ambient light is bright, you may very well not see the laser; or at least that is my experience.

Also, since the laser is mounted as the outer blade hub, it generally will strike the workpiece slightly to the left of where the kerf will be. And, since it's in the outer hub position, there's a good chance it may move as the blade is swung down toward the workpiece.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by lovetabike View Post
      This is driving me nuts.

richard
      That's what lasers on miter saws do best!

Comment

And that was the issue. I was working outside. The laser on the hub is bright just as a point but when spinning it's rather dim outside. As I worked into the evening I could see the laser.

Comment

Lovetabike,

BTW, Welcome to the Ridgid forum! (Sorry I didn't welcome you yesterday.)

I'm not a big fan of the laser, as it's used on a couple of power tools that I have. On the CMS it's okay, but only as a very rough reference. In normal daylight conditions it is hard to see and inside or in the evening when the light is fading, the laser is almost too bright, IMO.

I don't use the CMS all that much, but probably will just take the laser off the next time I change blades.

On my jig saw, the laser is totally useless as it's never aligned right and it drifts. I just put electrical tape over it, as it has become most annoying.

Again, welcome to the forum and have a great 4th of July weekend,

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by lovetabike View Post
            And that was the issue. I was working outside. The laser on the hub is bright just as a point but when spinning it's rather dim outside. As I worked into the evening I could see the laser.
            There are some laser view enhancing glasses at Amazon, although I've never tried them.

I've been using an old Ridgid saw that I borrowed to cut boards for my fence. I've been thinking of getting my own saw and wondered if the laser might be a worthwhile feature. I've learned where to mark the board where the blade will contact it and just bring the blade down first to eyeball it. It's easy enough and seems to work, so maybe I'll just save the extra cash and not get the laser.

Comment

Working...
            X