New drill press won't spin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New drill press won't spin

Hi, I bought a new 1550 drill press a few weeks ago and today when I went to turn on I got a humming sound and nothing spins. I took the belt completely off the motor wheel and even that will not spin with no belt tension. The funnier thing is that when I give the pulleys a little helping hand they spin fine. The fan works, the motor housings is hot to the touch even less than a minute of use. I'm guessing it's a bad motor or it burned out somehow. I ran it today for about 5 minutes straight, stopped a couple minutes and repeated that operation about 3 more times. When I went to start again is when I got the humming/no spin. Went out for a few hours and got back and still no improvement. Am I to think that by running this machine for 5 minutes straight is way too much for the motor to handle ? Or is it a bad motor just waiting to happen, and today was the day?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'll be calling the help line soon, they are closed this weekend for the holiday.
    Steve

Re: New drill press won't spin

You should still be under the 90-day "Satisfaction" return warranty (if you bought it new). I'd call the Home Depot where you bought it, explain the situation to them and return it for exchange.

It sounds like you have either a bad motor or perhaps more specifically, the starting capacitors are shot. Either way, for a new machine you shouldn't have to be concerned with any of the specific... just take it back and get another one.

I have had mine for several years now and use it a lot. I've never had trouble with it; and, yours is the first comment that I've read about a bad motor. Rarely have I read anything but very positive reviews of this tool.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

probably the starting circuit windings are bad. i don't think this motor has a starting capacitor, as it's not a high starting load application like an air compressor.

you could bring it back or see if you could swap out the motor and leave your unit at home. ask the manager to see if that's a possibility.

i'm sure replacing the motor is easier than replacing the machine and dragging it back and forth.

ask the manager for a little help

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Thank you so much for the replys. There is a capacitor on the side housed in a little compartment on the exterior of the motor. It's about as big as a "D" battery, and has white plastic caps on either end and clearish plastic in the middle. Hopefully they can just ship me out a replacement for that, if that's all it is. And I did buy the DP new and less than 30 days ago from my local HD. I'm going to look into replacing just parts or motor if that is possible without having to cart the whole thing back to the store.

So from any of your experiences, the way it should be is that I should be able to run a 1/2hp drill press such as this for several minutes at a time drilling a series of small 1/8in holes in oak and that should not cause the engine to burn out? I would hope not. The manual doesn't say a thing about runtime limits or anything at all about overheating or overuse under any type of conditions.

thanks for the help and any other followups, it's greatly appreciated.
        Happy 4th!
        Steve

Comment

If you are looking to just exchange parts then that takes Home Depot out of the picture. Any warranty repair work must be done at an Authorized Ridgid Service Center, Home Depot can't help you there. I would weigh the degree of hassle and choose whichever is less, return the DP to HD and exchange it for a different one or take it to a Service Center and have them diagnose and repair it.
          ================================================== ====
          All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

that capacitor should be the run capacitor.

large hard starting tools have both a start and run capacitor.

http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/733491C...%2010-6-04.pdf

the link only shows the motor as an assembly. not parts break down.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Pemdas89,

I probably have a weird way of looking at things like this (I call it "virgin complex")... If I buy a brand new product and it doesn't work, then I want another brand new product to replace it!!!

In my head, if I have purchased a brand new product and paid the brand-new product price and then have to repair it... then what did I just buy? Bottom line: A product that needed repair! And for such a product, it should be at a greatly reduced price. In other words, I just got ripped, for surely I shouldn't have to pay brand-new prices for products that don't work and/or have defective parts. (But, I do understand that I may be the only guy on the planet that feels that way .)

As far as your question about performance is concerned: A drill press should be able to run all day (or at least for very considerable time). Afterall, you aren't really boring holes during the entire operation, as such task are intermittant (non-stress time while you're moving the stock, positioning, backing out the drill, etc.)

I'm just finishing up my library project in which I've built 14 bookcase sections. For these, there are about 22 vertical sides each of which has been drilled for shelf support pins, assembly screw holes, etc. While the project is broken up into doing certain sections at a time, I usually do six to eight sides at one time. I've made a template to mark all my holes and then set up the drill press and then spend a good share of an hour just moving stock on and off the drill press and passing it through a multiple drill process.

At no time does my 1550 show any sort of stress whatsoever. I'm quite sure that the motor has never been more than warm, if even that. I've also used various hole-saw bits on my 1550 for other projects, and though more stressful than normal drilling, the drill press handles it well.

I hope this helps,

CWS
              Last edited by CWSmith; 07-04-2010, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Totally CWS, thank you. That's what I thought. I'm no tool expert, but I can't imagine that I've ruined the machine by trying to drill 1/8 holes for a cribbage board (120 holes for each) with a brand new brad tip bit for a total of under 5 minutes of runtime for each pass.

But I hear you, I will most likely co-ordinate a ride and get this machine back to the store and pick up a new one at the same time. I may go there today or tommorrow and start the paperwork, it's going to be harder to get my buddy with his pickup truck than it is to do the switcharoonie.

But by now, at least I've got experience putting a drill press together right out of the box!

thank man, and to all who reply.
                Steve

Comment

By all means get the paperwork started while under the 90 day limit, but the sooner the better. Explain the problem with transportation and maybe you can work a deal where you use their rental truck to move their defective DP and deliver the new one to your home. After all, if the tool wasn't defective you wouldn't have to coordinate using your friends pickup again.

I agree with CWS, if I buy something new and it doesn't right out of the box I feel taken and I want a new replacement not a repair of the defective item.
                  "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Update.
                    Got the old one boxed up and over to HD, they did the swap no problems.
                    Got the new one home and I just finsihed setting up and tested. Works like a champ. I'll tell ya though, this new one, I hear a difference in the way it's running. There was an odd noise before and having never owned a drill press I would never have noticed until the A/B comarison with the same model. It just purrs like a well oiled machine now, no vibrations, no clunking, starts right up. I took my own sweet time waxing and removing all grease and cleaning and polishing. I hope this one is a keeper. Thank you all you power tool experts for convincing me to return. Same day service and away I go.
                    Steve

Comment

Great to hear that you have everything worked out and that you are happy with the replacement. It's ashame that you had to go through the experience, but I must say that this is the first time I've heard of such a problem with the Ridgid 1550.

Now that you have things going well, you may want to consider getting a table for it. The standard table is fine for light metal or woodworking, but a good "woodworking" table will make a considerable difference in your projects, as they usually offer more table surface, a fence, and clamp and stop capability.

Below are some pictures of the Rockler table that I have on my DP 1550. You may want to note that the mounting (2nd image) is my own, and it enables me to simply slide the woodworking table on and off easily. The two bolts to the left of the column (same picture) simply lock the table in place via T-nuts on the underside of the wood slides. The standard mounting that Rockler supplies is illustrated on their product page.

There are a few sources of similar tables, but here is the link to the Rockler: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10163

Again, I'm glad you now have a great working 1550 and I hope this additional information is helpful,

CWS
                      Attached Files

Comment

Here's another suggestion for a drill press table.
                        ================================================== ====
                        All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Wow, thank you both for the ideas on the table. I'm in the "very cheap" stage of development right now and using yankee ingenuity until I can make a decision on a proper table. Or in other words, chintzy deluxe, until further notice. It's good to know there's decent tables out there in the $100 range and under, because that's about all I could spend when the time comes to get one. Thanks again!
                          Steve

Comment

Working...
                          X