X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What oil do I use?????

I have a new pressure washer model #RD80701. I put in the engine oil they gave me but there is oil in the pump assembly too. I can see it through the sight glass on the pump assembly. No where in the owners manual does it say what oil is needed in this compartment. It is in the center of the sight glass right now so I am assuming that this is where the level belongs. Do I use the same engine oil they gave me for this too or is there some kind of hydraulic oil I should be using when it is low. They gave mw regular 30 weight engine oil. Thanks

Re: What oil do I use?????

Don't have the RIDGID pressure washer but mine is similar. I downloaded the manual and looked through it, and used the search function in the PDF reader but didn't find anything about pump maintenance.

http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/2AFD98B...D80903_Man.pdf

They made sure to tell you to take the label off the pump oil cap though.

Is there a second manual for the pump? Because this one is sorely lacking.

Get his money, whoever wrote this manual that is.
    Last edited by Bob D.; 07-07-2010, 09:15 PM. Reason: fixed a typo
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Sanjuaner View Post
      ... It is in the center of the sight glass right now so I am assuming that this is where the level belongs. Do I use the same engine oil they gave me for this too or is there some kind of hydraulic oil I should be using when it is low. They gave mw regular 30 weight engine oil. Thanks
      The pump uses 10w30 synthetic motor oil. Note the emphasis on synthetic. Center of the sight glass is exactly where you want it.

As shipped, there is a label and a plug on the pump's oil fill cap (the red cap on top of the pump). Remove the label, then remove and discard the little black plug in the vent hole. Failure to do this can blow the pump seals, which is damned expensive to repair and NOT covered by warranty.
      "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
        ... Is there a second manual for the pump? Because this one is sorely lacking.
        Pump manuals are easily available at the Cat Pump website...
        http://www.catpumps.com/pump-data-sh...search-pdf.cfm

Comment

Thanks for all the help. Nice to see this forum exists. Sanjuaner

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
            Pump manuals are easily available at the Cat Pump website...
            http://www.catpumps.com/pump-data-sh...search-pdf.cfm

Goog to know but if I am buying a piece of equipment and it has a CAT pump I expect there will be some info on the pump and maintaining it in the manual supplied with the equipment, or that the pump manufacturers information will be included.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
              Goog to know but if I am buying a piece of equipment and it has a CAT pump I expect there will be some info on the pump and maintaining it in the manual supplied with the equipment, or that the pump manufacturers information will be included.
              I agree. It's a valid point and a good one. Unfortunately, it's also a moot point since what we would (and should) expect and what Ridgid actually does are two completely different things. But it's not just Ridgid - of all the brands I service on a daily basis, not a single one of them provides any sort of pump literature with the manual pack unless it's a pump of their own making.

Comment

Working...
              X