X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1600 cfm air mover

My basement flooded last Sunday and I picked up a Shop Vac 1600 cfm air mover to dry the carpet/pad (I was already at Lowes picking up a dehumidifier) and it is taking forever. I wanted to purchase the Ridgid one instead but it has identical specs so I don't see it being any better, other than it has the Lifetime Warranty and 3 positions of air flow vs. the Shop Vacs 2. I am about to buy the Ridgid one however, just to speed the drying process up with 2 fans. My question is how does one get their hands on the 2500 cfm air mover? I can't find one anywhere.

Re: 1600 cfm air mover

are you using this as a vacuum or a fan,

when ever I have dried out carpeting, I have pulled up a corner of the carpet, and blow the air under the carpet, some times I even put a slender board under to lift the carpet so the air would go farther under the carpets,

and used a fan some thing like this, (we actually had a old squirrel cage furnace fan we add a snout on to),
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...3815_200413815
    or this,
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...3814_200413814

vacuum up as much water first and then put air under it,

Added in Edit,
    Note: URLS and pictures are for reference only,

you may be able to rent at a rental store as well,

and as Rick says below Ridgid makes one too, http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Air-Mover/EN/index.htm not trying to take any thing away from Ridgid, but my nearest home depot is about 50 miles away and I have never seen them carry one,

Attached Files
    Last edited by BHD; 07-14-2010, 12:36 PM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

the ridid blowers are sold at home depot for $199.00. check there or home depot online.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I obviously didn't phrase that correctly and apologize. I am aware (and just purchased) a Ridgid Air Mover from Home Depot in addition to the Shop Vac one I purchased Monday but it's only rated at 1600 cfm. If you search on Google, a 2500 cfm Air Mover from Ridgid comes up available only as a rental from Home Depot. I want to buy that bad boy as my basement can potentially flood any time it rains super hard. I know I will need it enough times to justify purchasing over renting. I have about 500 sq feet of carpet and pad to dry out every time it floods so having a more powerful air mover is a must.

BHD, those Air Foxx fans are awesome but I can't find any sold locally (Kansas City) and I am a big fan of Ridgid's lifetime warranty. I'm also using a 14 gal Ridgid wet/dry vac to soak up the moisture which helps but is back breaking labor. We've soaked up about 16 gallons of water over 8 hours. Also using a Frigidaire 70 pint/day dehumidifier and Honeywell air purifier and box fan. I think my wife and I can lick this but the nonstop humidity and/or rain every other day outside isn't helping.

Comment

So using the Shop Vac and Ridgid air movers side by side and I gotta say the Shop Vac one is much better. You can feel it blowing more air and every bit of it just feels like higher quality. Even the speed select switch on the Ridgid feels like it would snap off if twisted too fast. I think I'm going to return the Ridgid and buy another Shop Vac air mover instead. I'm really disappointed.

Comment

sorry to hear your not getting the results you desire from your equipment,
            hope you get dry out soon,
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I had a similar problem a few years ago. Problem is that in a basement, you really need to de-humidify the air as rapidly as possible, in addition to using the blower.

Basically, you first must suck (shop vac) all the moisture possible out of the carpet. Then you need to simultaneously dehumidify the air at the same time you are blowing trying to air dry the carpet with the blower.

Simply blowing moist air over the on the carpet isn't going to be very good. For example, if the air is very humid and the carpet was dry... blowing humid air into it would soon result in a soggy carpet!

Personally, I had little success in my basement. As you say, between the rain and the extreme humidity, nothing seemed to be drying. Like me, you are probably going to be facing mold and mildew, if you can't get this to dry quickly.

After just a few day, I decided to pull out the carpet and take in to the garage and then on sunny days, getting it out into the driveway where the fan AND the SUN, did the job.

Good luck,

CWS

Comment

Thank you for the replies and well wishes. The carpet is dry as of this morning. I am running both air movers, a 24" box fan, dehumidifier and air purifier as well as the A/C and the window open. I'm sure the pad still has some moisture in it so I will leave it all running for another 24 hours. There is that dirty water stench but I don't believe I have mold yet (fingers crossed). I plan on attacking that stench with baking soda and a carpet shampooer and then dry the whole thing out again.

Comment

the padding needs to be ripped out. this is what absorbs 90% of the water. the carpet will dry with the combination of fans and dehumidifiers.

don't use heat as the mold will flourish. just cool air and the dehumidifiers will dry it. but you need to suck up as much as you can with a carpet extractor or good shop vac. blow the air under the carpeting for as many days as needed. usually 3-5 days will do it.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                  X