Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ts2400-1 motor stopped

Hi,
    I have a TS2400-1 table-saw.
    the motor has a problem. the plastic around the brush holder melts and ends up interfering with the armature. This won't allow the motor to start up anymore.
    I had to actually chip away melted plastic to free up the armature.
    I put new brushes in it, so hopefully that will reduce the heat generated by the motor but they still spark quite a lot when running.

my question is, is this normal?
    I cannot believe that it is.
    is there a better motor for this saw? is it covered by a warranty/recall?

Re: ts2400-1 motor stopped

No, I don't think that's normal. Yes, it is covered under the warranty if it's within the 3 year warranty period. After 3 years it would be covered under the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement IF you registered it into that Program. If you did that, you should have received a card with your ID number on it that the Service Center may ask you for.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

How old is your TS2400-1 and could you tell what the condition of the old brushes were, before you replaced them?

The reason I ask is that I'm wondering if there's any chance that the old brushes were used up to the point where the brush holder cap and/or spring actually came into contact with the armature, creating enough friction/heat to cause the melt?

New brushes often spark more than normal, until they are worn in a bit and better fit the armature... or if the new brushes were turned 90-degrees and are not fitting properly.

First thing I would check of course is, as Badgerdave stated, your warranty or LLSA status.

Sorry you are having a problem,

CWS

Comment

thanks for the reply guys.
        I do not have an ID number so i doubt very much i'm registered in any program.
        This seems like an unnecessary requirement. it is a Rigid product no doubt. I have the serial number.

The old brushes were worn but at least 1/3rd remained so there is no way any part other than brush contacted the armature.
        I have them still. I could post pictures.

Comment

well I went a signed up for the LLSA
          problem is I don't have the first two criteria they require.
          Congratulations, your product information has been submitted!

In order to receive LSA registration, please enclose the following items in an envelope:
          1. A copy of the original receipt with an arrow pointing to the qualifying RIDGID® purchases
          2. The original UPCs from the package

Comment

Well you probably won't get the LLSA, as it usually has to be done withing a few months of purchase and certainly with at least a copy of the receipt. In the past, exceptions have been made for the lack of the UPC, but almost for certain you need proof of purchase/date.

But, if the saw is within 3-years of purchase you should be okay with the standard warranty. If you don't have a receipt (or old credit card record, cancelled check, etc.) the serial number is date coded. (Ridgid Customer Service may be able to tell you if you're within warranty, based on the serial number alone.) At least that might aid you in getting warranty service; otherwise, you're going to be looking at an expense I think.

Good luck and I hope you can get this resolved to your satisfaction,

CWS

Comment

I already paid for parts and fixed it.
              its a quality issue in my opinion.
              and proof of purchase is a ridiculous policy. its not like it could be a cheap Chinese knock off. I cannot fake it. this whole receipt thing is a cop out pure and simple. a way to weasel out of fixing it.
              I'll call them and see how that goes, but I don't hold much hope.
              like I said I fixed it myself so I don't much care. but if its a manufacturing defect, reputable companies usually will replace the defective parts no questions.
              This is a test.

Comment

Jouster,

I guess I haven't run into one of those "reputable companies" yet. Almost every product has a warranty period and for that to be established, one most always needs a receipt. In Ridgid's case, they can "date" the item via the serial number, as I previously mentioned.

Unless I missed it (possible), you haven't mentioned how old your saw is, but whatever it is, I wish you luck with it.

CWS

Comment

In most cases warranties only are applicable if the current owner is also the original purchaser, thus the need for a dated receipt. As far as the Lifetime Service Agreement is concerned, that Program is not automatic and the consumer has the responsibility to register the product into it. It's been that way ever since the Program was introduced. It is above and beyond the standard warranty that comes with the tool and is unique to the applicable Ridgid tools.
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                    Jouster,

I guess I haven't run into one of those "reputable companies" yet. Almost every product has a warranty period and for that to be established, one most always needs a receipt. In Ridgid's case, they can "date" the item via the serial number, as I previously mentioned.

Unless I missed it (possible), you haven't mentioned how old your saw is, but whatever it is, I wish you luck with it."CWS

It is like the rebate deals , they hope you do not comply with the rules and thus do not qualify for something that was most likely a major influence on you purchase decision. companies win , you lose.

Milwaukee, same parent, does not require anything for the 5yr warranty, and unlike Ridgid's disapearing serial numbers on all of my powertool tags with use [ever think why they do that] due to cheap ink stamp ,they engrave the number and it is used if you did not have a receipt. Most companies do that as a default. I do not know about your saw but you surely will not qualify for LSA.
                    The LSA is a marketing draw for tools that are basically just above Ryobi in quality but cost as much as Bosch, Makita.., but promoted as heavy duty professional tools. Overall, they are not that. They are average at best. Some are very good in concept such as my Fuego circ saw, but on the whole, I much prefer my Milwaukee, Makita,Bosch.. tools.
                    Lets be frank, If Ridgid was really interested in" Lifetime Service" for the customer, they would have kept their policy as they had it before on the Grey Emerson powertools. You did do anything except buy the tool. I have a few of them, and with the issues I did have , a phone call and they would send the parts no hassle, no registration. You needed the serial number only. There were many more service centers as well. Those days are gone with TTI/Home Depo in control.

If you like the Ridgid LSA policy and their tools great, but when you look at all the hoops you have to go through, not just with the registration process, such as sending or bringing in an entire 8pc kit to get a new battery, that is just ridiculous . There is no convenient service center for me so I would have to UPS the tools, THE entire set. That is absurd, no other company does that. We did have a local service center but they do not take in any TTI tools any longer. Wonder why?

How exactly is this saw being used?
                    As far as the brushes wearing out and the housing issues, did you have this saw under long running times? This would explain the wearing out the brushes and melting the plastic, as it is overheating. I bet your bearing are going to go out next. Universal motors are not good for long run times and dusty enviorments. Dust also will be sucked into the open motor and must be cleaned out often. Routers,circ saws for example, are portable and are easily seen if getting clogged. JSTS are another issue but all have that problem. Even my Bosch 4100 has an issue with a non sealed motor bearing , just a cheap design by them. That has gone out on some and also melted the plastic housing. They are not perfect either.
                    Using a vac with the saw to reduce the dust intake into the motor would help. It might need a new motor though in the near future.

Comment

almost all companies use a date code incorporated into their serial number including Ridgid. Whithout a reciept for repair they will generally give you their wtty period pluse 6 months from this date to provide for shelf time. If a shop wont do this for you find another one as I wouldn't consider them reputable or cust freindly. Melted brush holders worn brushes and extremely heavy arcing after installing new ones would idicate a shorted armature. Checking with an anolog ampmeter will let you know.

Comment

Working...
                      X