X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: warranty for vacuum?

Ridgid does not require a franchise fee or start up inventory a majority of power tool companies don't To be factory authorized and most of those that do just want you to have some inventory to take care of the high volume jobs. Just a credit check and they come in to make sure you have a suitable shop and experiance.

As far as the brushes are concerned I don't think it is a safety issue as many tool manufacturers provide replacement brushes for their double insulated tools. In my opinion the reason they don't provide parts for the vacuums is they just don't want to have the headache and expense of carrying individual parts. A majority of the ridgid vacs that I see are damaged beyond repair of the motor due to water being stored in the tank and evaporating through the motor. I rarely see one that needs brushes and the armature is not shorted.

Comment

I agree that Vac Girl and texan168 have added good info to this thread.

Speaking of water in the tank I guess I should mention that I learned the hard way that having a second hose in the vac outlet is a good idea if you are wet-vacuuming. I tried using my Ridgid 4050 to extract about a gallon of detergent+water from a carpet, and when I turned around I was shocked to find the vac had blown a big swath of dirty water out through the outlet port and spattered the wall behind me. I thought maybe I had filled the tank past the 4-gallon limit, but when I opened it there was only about two inches of water in the tank ... the suction was powerful enough to jet the rest of it out the back of the machine.

Back on the topic of the warranty, when Ridgid declined to repair my vac they sent a checklist of reasons why, and as I recall, one of the checked items beside 'brushes worn out' was 'end of motor life, ~500 hours' which I think is an interesting figure to know (the ~500 hours part.)

So if I used the vac two hours per week its conceivable that its motor was near the end of normal life, although it makes the longevity CWSmith's dust collector all the more mysterious. Also, I have since re-examined the Ridgid boxes at HD the caveat 'against material defects and workmanship' is indeed there in small print.

One other thing, when you mail the power head of your vac to Ridgid for repair, they don't return it if they decide it's unfixable. So you are left with the just the hose and empty tank. I used mine to grow jalapenos.

Comment

mrs catgut,

"They DON'T return it!" Wow, that's sort of final isn't it? It's YOURS, whether it works or not. A few months ago, I saw a Ridgid radial arm saw sitting in my local Depot Depot, that was returned and marked as "not serviceable"... I wonder how that would have gone down, if the service center had simply NOT returned it? There's a substantial price difference between that saw and a shop vac, of course; but, you're still probably out $70 to $100 or so.

I guess the situation is what it is, but that still doesn't make it right, and especially so, if they don't even return the product to you; at least not in my book, as they say.

At this point, there's no reason to look for a service cure, but now my curiosity is peeked and I think I'll have to take a closer look at one of my "Ridgid" vacs to see exactly how "unserviceable" these brushes are. At the moment though, all my service tools are at the other house, so I'll post again next week.

I do have a shop vac motor assembly here, from an old Sears unit. I don't know who made that, but I just looked at it and if I could get the part I could have new brushes in it in just a few minutes. But perhaps, Ridgid has 'engineered' their vacs in some other manner.

We shall see,

CWS
        Last edited by CWSmith; 02-26-2011, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Actually, I will amend that, they do ask what you want done with it:

If our Quality Department determines that your vac is not covered by warranty, we will contact you to see if you want the unit returned. Shipping cost for returning the unit will be at your expense. Your power head will be returned and shipped out UPS COD (Cash on Delivery).

But seriously, who's going to pay another $20 to ship a defunct vacuum head back to one's self? it's hard to imagine anyone doing it except as a last gesture of frustrated defiance, and I'm not that dramatic. But trivial as returning a vac for service may seem it's not stress-free doing this kind of correspondence, it's a slow process, and there's no feedback, no way to check status, etc.

I had to ship the box containing my part to Elyria, Ohio, because there are apparently no local service centers for vacs, or at least I wasn't able to find one using their service locator page, and I expanded the search parameters to include all US states.

I am baffled by people who act like something delightful has ocurred when they get a new tool under a warranty replacement, as if they have recieved a free gift. I mean, it's the tool you paid for, and you should have the use of it in exchange for that payment -- it's not like it's Christmas, or an undeserved freebie. people are weird that way, it's kind of amusing.

Anyway, about the brushes, I think the problem is in the various different mountings and the various shapes and widths of the brushes, and the spring tension has to be correct, and different motor RPMs may require different formulations of carbon, and who knows what else. Those vac motors sound like they are really moving.

Comment

Working...
          X