X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• warranty for vacuum?

My workhorse 5.25 hp (16 gal) vacuum started sparking and stopped. I thought I read there's a warranty? I bought a newer, smaller unit and then started thinking about just replacing the motor or brushes. How do you you access that type of support if there's still a warranty?

Re: warranty for vacuum?

The warranty information will be found in your Owners Manual. To find a service center, go to www.ridgid.com and click on the Support Tab at the top of the page.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

As BadgerDave noted, the warranty statement is in the back of your owners manual. It may be somewhere here on the website, so check the product page.

It should be noted that the shop vacs are covered by a different warranty than the power tools. The power tool warranty is covered by TTI (built under license to use the Ridgid brand name) and is 3-years plus (with registration only) a Limited Lifetime Service Agreement. The vacs are (to my knowledge) built by Emerson Electric, Ridgid's parent company, and the warranty is simply "lifetime, against defects in materials and workmanship".

Again, check your warranty statement in the manual and with your nearest Ridgid-authorized servicd center.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

It is true that the warranty is 'lifetime' if regestered. Last month I was told by HD that they did not have service centers for vacs in my area. I called Ridgid and they gave a confirmation number and advised me where to send the powerhead at my expense. Two weeks later, after verification that the motor was bad and registered, I received a new $159 vac and extra filter at their expense.

Satisfied customer!

Big G

Comment

Whoops!

Just got the 19.00 wall mount vac...on the box was "lifetime warranty" and nothing about registering (no card included to send in either, like with the power tools)

I just assumed it didnt need to be registered. Maybe I was wrong? Too late, the box is gone and so is the UPC.

-Chris

Comment

Sometimes people get confused between the shop vacs which are made by Emerson Electric (Ridgid's parent company) and the Ridgid-brand power tools which are made by TTI and uses the Ridgid name under license with Emerson.

With the Ridgid power tools, TTI provides a 3-year warranty and "with registration" a Limited Lifetime Service Agreement (LLSA).

Emerson's shop vacs come with a "Lifetime Warranty" which does NOT require registration. That warranty is for failures of "material or workmanship".

In both cases, warranty and/or LLSA, service is required to be done by a Ridgid-authorized service center. (Home Depot only sells... they do not provide warranty or LLSA service.)

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Late to this discussion but anyone considering buying a Ridgid wet/dry vac because of the "lifetime warranty" should know that the "lifetime" they are talking about is not your lifetime, but the tool's.

Ridgid's policy is that if the vac motor or any of its parts wear out due to use, the warranty is over no matter how long you have had it.

In other words, when the motor brushes or any other part wears out, that is taken to mean the product's normal lifetime was over and therefore so is the lifetime warranty.

Below is the relevant quote from the vacuum warranty which can be read at http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/RIDGID-WD-Warranty

---------------------------------------

How Long Coverage Lasts
              This warranty lasts for the lifetime of the RIDGID® tool. Warranty coverage ends when the product becomes unusable for reasons other than defects in workmanship or material.

What is Not Covered
              Failures due to misuse, abuse or normal wear and tear are not covered by this warranty.

----------------------------------------
              I bought one because of the lifetime thing ... shoulda done my research first. My Ridgid vac lasted about 4 years ... about the same as the Shop-Vac that preceded it.)

Comment

Originally posted by mrs_catgut View Post
                Late to this discussion but anyone considering buying a Ridgid wet/dry vac because of the "lifetime warranty" should know that the "lifetime" they are talking about is not your lifetime, but the tool's.

Ridgid's policy is that if the vac motor or any of its parts wear out due to use, the warranty is over no matter how long you have had it.

In other words, when the motor brushes or any other part wears out, that is taken to mean the product's normal lifetime was over and therefore so is the lifetime warranty.

Below is the relevant quote from the vacuum warranty which can be read at http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/RIDGID-WD-Warranty

---------------------------------------

How Long Coverage Lasts
                This warranty lasts for the lifetime of the RIDGID® tool. Warranty coverage ends when the product becomes unusable for reasons other than defects in workmanship or material.

What is Not Covered
                Failures due to misuse, abuse or normal wear and tear are not covered by this warranty.

----------------------------------------
                I bought one because of the lifetime thing ... shoulda done my research first. My Ridgid vac lasted about 4 years ... about the same as the Shop-Vac that preceded it.)
                so do you think you got a raw deal? The warranty was clearly stated in print.

Comment

No, I suppose it was an OK vacuum during the actual time it lasted. I think Ridgid's care to point out the "Lifetime Warranty" in their advertising walks the ethical fine edge of being hyperbole designed to sway consumer choice rather than an assurance of quality or durability.

At the Home Depot display, in front of each model there was a card listing the features, and on each card "lifetime warranty" was the only phrase that was highlighted in bold text, presumably there is some motive on Ridgid's part to draw the consumer's particular attention to that aspect of the product claims. But the warranty is in the manual, which is sealed inside the box, and how many people out shopping are going to ask a store employee to open a box so you can stand there and comb through the warranty for ambiguities? That's where product reputation comes in. Ridgid used to have really high brand-name cachet for reliability: today, for me, having had the vac, not so much. As I said, I should have done my research first.

I would venture to say that to the average consumer, a "lifetime warranty" carries semantically a suggestion that a product is so well made that you might still be using it twenty or thirty years later, given the proper support in the form of spare parts, etc. -- At any rate, that is what it once meant, but I am old, and I am aware that in the era of globalisation, all consumer products can be considered disposable. But that is why underlining the "lifetime warranty" seems rather devoid of purpose, except as a marketing ploy. But I suppose the equally clear statement "Lifetime warranty, until it wears out" won't sell as many vacuum cleaners.

Comment

good points.

Comment

I agree that your point is well made. I too wish that they would clarify the so-called "Lifetime Warranty" too, on the Vacs, before you buy one.

But that said, the after purchase discovery of "defects in material and workmanship" is still pretty broad in its coverage, IMO. I have two 12-gal Ridgid shop vacs, owning them both since 2004. While one get's the rather light but significantly dirty job of wet and messy spills, it seems to be holding up okay.

However, the other get's extreme duty of being my dust collector, being hooked up to my power tools. It is has been used almost every week since it's purchase and itt often runs for close to an hour or more at a time and to date has never failed me. I do make it a practice to check the motor housing and if it seems warmer than normal, or if the suction drops off, I know it's time to clean the filter. Otherwise it gets checked every week or so. Point is, if you've had the brushes wear out in just five years, I would say you are running it much more than I am or, that something was defective. But perhaps I am just lucky.

Given my own experience, I would say that five years is certainly less than I would expect. Either way, I would certainly expect that the motor brushes should be serviceable, even if NOT covered by the warranty. With new brushes, I would then expect several more years of service.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

I don't think I subject any of my appliances to very hard use. I used my vac basically for cleaning my carpets and kitchen floor, which doesn't seem like a very demanding task, if these machines are designed for use on construction jobs and the like. I use a wet/dry vac because I have arthritis and can't push one of those uprights any more. With a canister-type vac I can kneel on a pillow and really see what I'm doing.

When my first vacuum (6 gal, 3-hp Shop-Vac) started acting up, I took it to an appliance repair place here in my local area. The repairman told me he couldn't do anything with it because the manufacturers won't sell them the parts. He told me that was the policy generally with all the makers now, to keep business directed to the 'authorized service centers' and it had basically put all the small, independent fix-it guys out of work unless they became 'authorized' - which is basically buying a franchise and paying a heavy fee up front to get the deal. He was a young disabled vet, and he started disassembling the vac motor while we were talking and he showed me the brushes -- the brush on one side was completely worn away, but the brush on the other side was still about 3/4 of an inch long. He told me the motor was still perfectly good, otherwise.

The warranty on that one was three years, I think. But it turned out the cost of mailing it in for service plus repair cost which was to be billed at a the out-of-warranty rate (think it was $50) so it was basically cheaper just to buy a new one. From this experience, I'm guessing that there are a quite a few appliances being put out with the trash that are still perfectly good save for minor parts that needs replacing.

The next vac I got was a Ridgid 4050, and when it started showing the same symptoms as the previous one I wrote the company asking if they would sell me a set of brushes. I was directed to mail it to the service center (at my expense) which I did, and they confirmed my amateur diagnosis that it was brushes - that's when I got my education on the 'lifetime warranty' as described in my first post.

Comment

Sorry to hear of the problem and that there doesn't appear to be a resolution from Ridgid. I still think the life of your Ridgid vac is "premature" and I certainly understand your frustration. I would feel the same way, even after many more years than you have had your product.

To have to scrap a perfectly good vac just because the brushes are worn seems wasteful and I agree with you.

I looked at my Ridgid Vac manual earlier today, and I see that they do not have "brushes" listed in the parts list. Ashame really, if the rest of the vac is in good shape; and, I think it certainly appears to defy the "Lifetime Warranty" statement. Worn brushes should NOT in my opinion define the useful life of any electric motor-driven device!

Some states may well define the limited liability of a company's "Lifetime Warranty" promise. Not sure where my own state (NY) stands on this, and I wonder about your Florida?

Regardless, I wonder if the brushes might me interchangeable with some of the "universal" brushes that can be found on the market? Without taking the motor apart for examination, it would be impossible to know, of course. It might be worthwhile exploring and perhaps one of the other forum members already has.

Sorry this is not more helpful,

CWS

Comment

The brushes for the vacs are not available because they have double-insulated motors (with no ground prong) therefore when using a replacement brush higher levels of carbon dust build up can compromise the safery of the the unit.

That being said the vac has reached the end of the motor life if both brushes are completely worn out uniformly. Having one brush worn down and the other not would not be considered end of motor life.

Comment

VAC GIRL,

Thanks for this informative post. I would agree that having both brushed wear down evenly might well indicate that everything is normal, as opposed to having one brush fail, while there's still plenty of "life" left in the other one.

But, knowing from my own experience that "brushes" are normally something that are easily replaced in other "double-insulated" tools, I don't understand why they shouldn't also be replaceable in a "vac" motor.

Sure, there's no easy access external points to do this and I do understand the "safety factors" of not wanting a customer or and "unauthorized" tech doing this (a good reason to NOT sell the brushes). But, why can't an "authorized" Ridgid service center replace them and some kind of serviceable charge?

I would hate to see a perfectly good shop vac scrapped just for the sake of a couple of brushes that cost a few $$.... and even if the service center charged $30 or so, wouldn't it be cheaper, especially local, than having to buy an whole new vac? (And having the local landfill take on another "scrapped" product!)

CWS

Comment

Working...
                              X