X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandsaw Grumpin'

When I bought my Orange beauty I was excited followed by disappointment then pleasure and enjoyment. But from time to time I keep finding features that the Teckys should have found and corrected. First disappointment came when I assembled the Saw, The belt was coiled like a BS blade, and of course no matter how tight or warm or whatever is going to take that thumping out... So off to Auto store to get a new soft belt. Smooth....

Now, install the blade, That safety sleeve that encapsulates the blade on the left (column) side... What a pain to go search out a Phillips screwdriver to open it. Then to find you can't remove it because the bottom door hits the motor and prevents full opening, have to force the door against the motor. Techys should have seen this. No adjustments allow additional clearance w/o modifying the safety cover.

Tracking... The guides, geeze where to start complaining, the Thumb screws are so small, manly fingers can't grip properly, and the Trunions that hold the table are in the way for easy adjustment of bottom guides. Also the screws won't hold the lateral guides as the guides are too hard...

OK, just ranting and spewing , wondering if other owners have experienced the same, or what solution for the complaints...

All in all I am pleased with the saw and happy with the performance just not the aggrovation.

Re: Bandsaw Grumpin'

Hickory,

Welcome to the Ridgid forum!

I don't own the Ridgid bandsaw. But I have followed many, many postings about that particular tool over the last few years. Frankly, there have been an abundance of complaints; some similar to yours, some different. Problems with vibration, poor design, assembly problems, etc. Enough concerns/complaints that I personally would probably look to Craftsman or Rikon when it comes to upgrading from my little Ryobi BS902, when that time comes.

However, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the fact that there are also some very positive posts too. Usually they come after modifications, fixes, and adjustments have been made. One change that is often made is to install a "link-belt" which alledgedly reduces the vibration dramatically.

A couple of years ago (IIRC), there was some discussion of a new Ridgid model being released. There was even a picture posted of it.... but, it never came to market. Once in awhile someone will still ask about it, but beyond rumor there has been no further information.

So, glad that you have worked out some of problems and have taken the time to post your experience. Once again, welcome to the forum. It's good place to post your questions and share your projects and opinons. Great bunch of folks on here and an absolute ton of experience.

Welcome,

CWS

Comment

Welcome Hickory, I believe I remember your from a Canadian WW site, but I have not been there since the last change wiped out my history. There have been many post here on suggestions for sprucing up that bandsaw, try a search as the posts never expire on this site.

Comment

when you want to maximize the operating potential of your ridgid BS, contact itura design:

http://www.manta.com/c/mmc3znn/iturra-design

no website but lou itura has probably forgotten more than any of us will ever know about band saws and related items. when he welds a lennox blade, it's welded properly. and here's a second info source for your saw.

wood magazine did a feature a few years ago on band saw performance that featured michael fortune, a reported expert on all things band saw related. the article highlighted the changes he made to his ridgid 14" BS and reported that he now preferred the ridgid over his $1000 general industrial BS. i emailed him a few questions and he replied that he stood by his complimentary statements concerning the ridgid.

welcome to the forum and good luck with the saw.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hickory View Post
          That safety sleeve that encapsulates the blade on the left (column) side... What a pain to go search out a Phillips screwdriver to open it. Then to find you can't remove it because the bottom door hits the motor and prevents full opening, have to force the door against the motor.
          You can turn that piece over and never have to remove it again to change blades.
          SSG, U.S. Army
          Retired
          K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Working...
          X