Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues w/ Recip Saw chuck

Hello everyone-
    I've got an issue with the chuck on my relatively new Ridgid reciprocating saw that came with a 18 volt 5 piece combo set with radio.
    When I'm using it I'll bear down on the nose to get the blade moving through the item being cut and the blade pops out. It gets stuck in the item, 2x4, plywood, what ever I'm cutting. By "bearing down" I don't mean to say I'm standing on the nose but putting reasonable pressure on the front of the saw. I've spent quite some time working with recip saws. The saw performs best if I don't put ANY pressure on the nose of it.
    The blade isn't binding at all just falling out of the chuck and into the cut. After it falls out I can stop the saw and just tug it out of the kerf so no binding at all. I watched the chuck during cutting and I've seen the lug on the plastic collar rotate so that the blade falls out / leaves the saw ( not necessarily stuck just not connected anymore). This happens when I'm cutting in a straight line or in a curve.
    When I install the blade I'll rotate the lug backwards to be sure it isn't hanging up on anything on it's return to captured then I'll give it a yank to be sure I've really set the blade in place and sure enough it's in and solidly too.

I've read the manual and could find nothing about any adjustment or any solution to this. I don't think I've missed anything have I? I use only decent blades like Ridgid or Milwaukee or similar so I'm not expecting off brand blades to perform beyond their ability. I don't have this issue with the other recip saws I own, just this one.

So- If anyone has any idea what's going on or what I'm over looking (it's possible) I'd appreciate a heads up.
    Thanks

Re: Issues w/ Recip Saw chuck

Sounds like a spring or something is loose/missing on that blade chuck/collar, causing it to rotate and release the blade. If the collar is just simply rotating with a slight amount of tension, it seems like it's missing the tension spring or something.

Best to bring it to a service center for inspection/repair.

Comment

Please PM me your contact info. We'd like to learn more about your issue. Sorry for the problems.

Comment

Good call, Wyatt. Thanks for the response.

Comment

My 18v recip has the same problem. I was going to return it as it is useless this way. What is the solution? My 24v has a better system.
          Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by ProBrand View Post
            Please PM me your contact info. We'd like to learn more about your issue. Sorry for the problems.
            My apologies for not picking this up sooner. After a while with no solutions I'd decided to stop checking in.
            I've since been contacted and the issue solved, in record time I might add.
            I would like to say that this was great customer service. I'd also like to thank you for being so proactive about this.

I appreciate all that had to happen to get my equipment issues solved. I have received the highest level of customer service that I've ever experienced, from Ridgid Tools. I could not be more pleased. From first contact to end solution the people at Ridgid Tools made a first rate effort.

Thank you very much for your work on my behalf.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcintosh View Post
              My apologies for not picking this up sooner. After a while with no solutions I'd decided to stop checking in.
              I've since been contacted and the issue solved, in record time I might add.
              I would like to say that this was great customer service. I'd also like to thank you for being so proactive about this.

I appreciate all that had to happen to get my equipment issues solved. I have received the highest level of customer service that I've ever experienced, from Ridgid Tools. I could not be more pleased. From first contact to end solution the people at Ridgid Tools made a first rate effort.

Thank you very much for your work on my behalf.
              Awesome. Good to hear a positive outcome. There's too many occurances of people ranting and raving about an issue, then when Ridgid gets things corrected, those same people don't post back on here, leaving those who aren't in the know to presume that there wasn't a positive outcome.

Wyatt, Josh, et al, at Ridgid sure go above and beyond for their customers. A calm head and good communication are all it takes.

Glad to hear it ended fine. Thanks for the follow-up.

Comment

Working...
              X