X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid R84081 Compact Radio Problem

Good morning. I purchased the Ridgid R9631 X3 5-piece combo kit this past weekend at Home Depot and received a free battery and compact radio (radio is model # R84081) with the kit. My problem is with the radio. I just tried it out for the first time this morning. Sound is good, however every 60 seconds, the radio shuts off for a second, and then turns back on again. The radio isn't being touched at all. It's just sitting there playing FM, and it shuts off and back on again every 60 seconds regardless of AM, FM, Auxiliary function, station, or volume setting . I timed it, and it happens every minute on the nose. What could the possible reason for that be? If it keeps up, I'm thinking that I may have to return the kit to Home Depot and exchange it for a new kit. Any thoughts?

Re: Ridgid R84081 Compact Radio Problem

I have that kit (The X3) and I have the radio too but mine came in a different kit. I really like the radio and I don't have the problem that you mentioned. I think you should take it back and get one that works properly. On a side note I think that you will be pleased with the X3 kit. It is a nice kit that has great performance.

Kevin
    Last edited by Kev Dog; 08-17-2010, 03:56 PM.

Comment

I have a similar issue with mine. It does it mainly with the mp3 player attached. Mine does it more randomly though. It may play fine for 5 minutes then does it twice in 1 minute.

Comment

Radio's are a totally different technology than power tools, if it isn't functoining properly, you really need to replace it. Short of being an intermittant power problem from a specific battery, there's no ready fix that a normal user can exercise. I would be highly surprised if even the best Ridgid service center can fix a radio circuit problem, other than replace a circuit board.

In this day and age, it's rare to find any kind of circuit analysis and fix for radio, television, phone, computer, etc. They usually just replace the item or the defective circuit board.

Take it back for an exchange!

CWS

Comment

FFMoto, please private message me your contact information and we'll help you through the issue. Thanks, Wyatt

Comment

Hi Folks....

I am having the exact same problem with my radio...
            I have tried using the radio, mp3 functions and nothing will stop it from cutting out.
            Makes no difference if the battery is fully charged or not.......It happens also about every 60 seconds and gets really annoying
            ProBrand can you help me with this as well? I called the local repair rep who is a 2 hr. round trip for me, he said to call
            the factory because, well, it's a radio?!...lol

I've already replaced both batteries and now this, but otherwise the tools are great...

Thanks,

GJM

Comment

Schoonerman- Please send me your contact information through private message and we will contact you about the radio issue.

Thanks

Comment

I have a slightly different issue with my 18v radio. It gets terrible reception! is this common for these radios or is just me? A buddy that works with me has the Ryobi radio and has no problems in the exact locations
                Thanks ahead for any input

Comment

check this discussion:

https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t21126/

not perfect AM reception and not perfectly-high-enough volume are the 2 repeatly identified issue.

Even the bigger brother R8408 did not have good reception and high volume.

Check HD review:

Home Depot - R8408 Jobsite Radio customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

Originally posted by smsabella View Post
                  I have a slightly different issue with my 18v radio. It gets terrible reception! is this common for these radios or is just me? A buddy that works with me has the Ryobi radio and has no problems in the exact locations
                  Thanks ahead for any input

Comment

I need help with my ridgid radio...i just got it for xmas & it takes forever when turned on to locate proper radio reception. Then just recently it fell softly about a foot to the ground & now it will only work with an 18v battery installed. The cord seems to be dead but I promise it hardly fell nor did the cord get yanked on. If anyone can please let me know. I really like ridgid products...

Comment

Unless you are significantly proficient in radio circuit analysis, I suggest you contact Ridgid Customer Service or at least your local authorized Service Center to have them handle any repair, irregardless of what it might be!

In your particlar case, it could just be that the power cord solder joint has been stressed, but it could also be a damaged circuit board.

With solid state circuitry even a minor attempt to fix it yourself could cause further damage, if you don't know what you are doing. ESD (electrostatic discharge) from improper handling or even errant heat from an attempted solder fix can damage other components. In most all cases, these kinds of things are simply remedied by replacing the entire circuit board in question or even the entire product.

Hey, I'm a licensed Ham Radio Operator and a very long time radio enthusiasts. While I've built and repaired old radios back when I was a teen in the early 60's, the solid state stuff of today is far different. In my hobby's venacular, I would be referred to today as an "appliance operator". Though I know the theory and somewhat of circuits, today's stuff simply is beyond my talents; and in my community with it's hundreds of licensed operators, I know of only one guy who even attempts component level analysis or repairs. All the rest of us rely on "the factory"... and they mostly replace the "boards", I've been told.

So, send it in!

CWS

Comment

Working...
                      X