X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JOBMAX issues / help

I recently purchased (less than 30 days) the JOBMAX with oscillating blade and charger. The tool is great for the most part.

I am having problems with the battery tab break off after prolong use. I have returned the battery 2 times now because the battery tab wears/cuts off from the vibration of the power handle.

I really do not want to take the unit back to the store because it is very useful.

If I notch out a 2x4, it never fails, the battery tab breaks off and will not stay in. I have to keep pushing the battery in because the vibration pushes the battery out. I am now on my 3rd battery.

Any thoughts, or ideas on a fix besides tape on a new unit?

Thanks,
    Rick

Re: JOBMAX issues / help

Interesting problem. I would have thought that the plastic material would have been substantial enough and/or designed to a manner that would easily handle the vibration without fatigue and breakage.

I'm going to be buying this particular tool in the very near future, so I guess I had better keep my eye on this problem

As far as a remedy is concerned, I would have to agree with you that I wouldn't want to use tape, at least not in the conventional sense. But, I was wondering if something like an elastic band or a Velcrow strap would be successful in relieving the stress from the battery latch? Either method would of course function like "tape", but would be much easier to position and remove when it comes time to swap batteries.

I hope this helps... and thanks for the "heads up",

CWS

Comment

I have this tool for a month now , all in all 2 hours of work with ,
      do not have this problem ... surely the problem lies in the handle
      itself more than in the battery pack .

Comment

Thanks CWS!!! The 12v battery has foam under the clip to push the tab up. I put a little piece of electrical tape on the inside where the battery tab vibrates on the handle.

Eloi - i agree with you, the problem is not the battery. I have a lot of hours on this unit because it is very handy!

I did return the unit and the new one does break off the battery tab.

I guess i will not use this unit to notch out 2x4's or wood. I even tried Bosch blades. I don't get on the tool because it works better with little to no pressure.

Thanks for all the input...
        Rick

Comment

I have the Bosch PS50, never has any battery issues like you describe. I use it on ladder on roof fascia repair , Battery falling out would be catastrophic 20 feet up. My older makita cordless[not the stick] have an added metal clip as a lock, always liked that, they do not have that anymore.
          I looked at the Ridgid and it is a good idea but clunky feel to the tool and it looks like it will not hold up over time. The attaching of the heads seems weak too. I think they need to refine the design. Adding tape? That is not right, you should find out what is wrong.

Comment

Andrew, you are right about the ladder issue! I was in an attic when the battery kept falling out and safety is a major concern of mine.

This tool is okay for occasional use but not daily.

i have given up on this unit!

i was hoping someone from ridgid would give some input on this!

Thanks for the input on the Bosch PS50 I will have to look into that model!

Comment

I got mine from amazon as a recon $99. Having the Bosch 12v tool line made me buy the PS50. I did get the Milwaukee 12v 2 speed drill and I like their line better. The PS50 build is also a question as they use a plastic ring gear over the motor gear. Not happy about that. So far no issues, but that is really cheap, could be bronze. The corded version is only sold in the EU., the HFT one is very good for $70[grey VS]. They have an air driven version too.These tools are best as corded or air driven.

Comment

huh, weird I have 3 of these units in use among the biz and none have had this issue! Only issue I have had is the batteries that came with these kits seem inferior to the batteries I had from the previous 2 drill combos we bought a couple years ago. I have two that wont charge now and a third that dies quickly, yet the older batteries are still kicking strong, go figure. BTW, I have probably hundreds of hours on these tools, so not sure how yours keeps breaking.

Comment

I have now gone through 2 of these within 4 months. The first didnt last but 4 days. I have to hold the battery/ handle in a twist motion for it to work. Loose the grip and it stops. It is in the shop along with 3 others with no answer to the problem in sight. I need the tool more than ever right now and I sure dont want to buy another or other brand as I only need one. When working, I found it to be the best tool of its kind. I hope someone here knows the problem and will let us know how to fix it.

Comment

Well, I have contacted the repair shop, and they say that the parts have been on back order. they are still not sure if they know what the problem is. That means the parts might not be the right ones to fix it. I am now at the end of this job without it. Its been over 2 months. Home Depot's store manager was trying to tell me to just buy a new one and I could return it within 30 days. I couldnt justify returning a good tool so I refused the offer. Just wish I could have my JobMax fixed from the shop in Sacramento. Seems to me that if you can twist on the handle to make it work, then there must be a connection problem that could be found by a shop then have the right part ordered to fix it. I am now backed up on other jobs from this job getting addons that I could really use this tool at. Still have to say it has been a great tool that I would buy again. Just would like to have it back.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeper Larry View Post
                      Well, I have contacted the repair shop, and they say that the parts have been on back order. they are still not sure if they know what the problem is. That means the parts might not be the right ones to fix it. I am now at the end of this job without it. Its been over 2 months. Home Depot's store manager was trying to tell me to just buy a new one and I could return it within 30 days. I couldn't justify returning a good tool so I refused the offer. Just wish I could have my JobMax fixed from the shop in Sacramento. Seems to me that if you can twist on the handle to make it work, then there must be a connection problem that could be found by a shop then have the right part ordered to fix it. I am now backed up on other jobs from this job getting addons that I could really use this tool at. Still have to say it has been a great tool that I would buy again. Just would like to have it back.
                      Why would you let the cost of a $99 tool get in the way of completing work?
                      If you're running that tight you're in trouble. Put in in perspective, that's an hours
                      work more or less. If you are working around not having the tool you have probably
                      already wasted that much time bitching and moaning and trying to do the job with
                      another tool. You talk like this tool is important or indispensable to the work you do
                      so why not have a second one as backup?

Do you have only one hammer, one saw, one ladder? If the handle on your hammer
                      broke would you be out of business for the day or go to the truck and grab another one?

It seems that every time someone has a problem like this with a RIDGID (TTI really) tool
                      they (the repair shop or TTI) don't have the parts and they are weeks or months away.

That's not your fault, it's the way the operate as I see it because it has been the same for
                      so many years I can't count them.

They really have a weak parts system it would seem. I understand that the repair shops
                      can't possible stock all the thousands of various parts they might need but in todays world
                      you would think that the right part would two days away at worst.

If you knew what the part was you could probably go to M & D mower and order the part yourself.
                      Then either replace it yourself or have your local repair shop install it since they claim they can't
                      get the parts needed. While I'm sure they will balk at installing parts bought elsewhere it would kinda
                      prove the point that their parts ordering system is crap wouldn't it?
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Well I've had my JobMax for almost a year now and so far the battery latch, like with my 12-volt compact drill/driver seems to be just fine. No breakage and no sign of stress on the tab.

However, I do note that operation of the tool is pathetic unless the battery has an absolutely fresh charge. Even then, any major usage requires that I have all three batteries (taking the two that came with my first-introduction of the compact 12-V drill/driver. I'm not sure why that is, as I would not think that there would be a tremendous amount of load on the JobMax, at least not in the same amp-sucking way that the drill/driver causes.

In any case, I love the tool but battery charge-life seems rather poor on this particular tool. But certainly the stop/start is not related (in my case anyway) to a broken battery latch.

CWS

Comment

[QUOTE=Bob D.;349261]Why would you let the cost of a $99 tool get in the way of completing work?
                          If you're running that tight you're in trouble. Put in in perspective, that's an hours
                          work more or less. If you are working around not having the tool you have probably
                          already wasted that much time bitching and moaning and trying to do the job with
                          another tool. You talk like this tool is important or indispensable to the work you do
                          so why not have a second one as backup?

Do you have only one hammer, one saw, one ladder? If the handle on your hammer
                          broke would you be out of business for the day or go to the truck and grab another one?

GEE WIZZ BOB..
                          Wasnt tryin to get you upset. And yes I do have to run tight. And yes I did have to buy another one. I bought it off ebay as I dont make that kind of money then to find out it didnt come with any head or battery. I have spent all I could afford as I now have then gone to Harbor Freight and purchased a generic tool to finish the job. So I do own 2 of these tools, but the shop needs the head for testing as they say when the parts come in. I think I have been pretty good about not Bitching as you say. I Really enjoy using my Ridgid yet the shop in my area does not seem to know what the problem is and still do not know. If you do notice I am only a lowly handyman, not a contractor. Therefore it does hurt when a tool goes down and not so easily replacable. And by the way I still love Ridgid tools!
                          Larry

Comment

Working...
                          X