X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12V Lithium Drill Driver combo

I purchased the 12 volt drill/impact combo a month ago. I took it in with a problem where the drill would come on sometimes and not others and got worse as the battery got lower. The service guy gave me new batteries but i still have the same issue. When i switched the battery to the impact it did the same thing.... I remember the problem right from the beginning it was just a little pause once in a while but now when the battery gets low but not dead you might have to pull the trigger 10 times to get it to go and then it seems to have good power.

I contacted tech support and he said that my only options are to return it for a new combo pack which i cant do as my home depot doesnt stock this item or take it into the shop and have the guy test and maybe replace the trigger or the charger. I can see how it might be the trigger.. Maybe when the batteries get a bit low and the trigger isnt quite right there could be problems... but both the drill and the impact have the exact same issue and that seems strange to me...

I love these drills or i would just take them back and get my money back. And i also bought them on sale so if i take them back and buy something else i lose out on my sale price.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

Q
    Last edited by qholmes; 08-24-2010, 08:53 PM.

Re: 12V Lithium Drill Driver combo

The lithium ion batteries have a safety circut in them so that when the batery gets to a discharged status it cuts out to prevent the battery from being over drained. Are you only having this problem when the batteries are low? or is the problem also occuring when the batteries are fresh off the charger. I have this set and would recommend it to anyone. The impactor is great for medium duty use but if you are driving 3 1/2 deck screws or similar workload you need sometime heavier. I have never had the problem you have mentioned only when the batteries are drained.

Bill

Comment

So you do get this issue?

When the batteries are low?

I asked the service guy this exact point but he said it was something wrong with the switch but i wondered if it was just a characteristic of the lithium batteries.

Now when i first got the set i seemed to notice this problem as a slight thing that i just kind of noticed and then all of a sudden it got really bad when i had used the drill for a while. But lately it was just when i had used the battery for a while but not sure weather it was enough to drain it or not. Probably i guess.

I just tried the drill about 50 times with a fresh battery and it worked every time.

Love this set.. I build a 8x12 garden shed with it and it was awesome..

Q

Comment

Yes I get this issue when the batteries are drained. It is an overload protection circutry that is built into the battery. Keeping in mind that your batteries need to go through a few charge/discharge cycles before they finally take a full charge. If things are fine with fresh batteries then I suspect that is what u are seeing is the normal battery cut out. Might I also add that if you over stress the tool the battery can cut out as well. Simply releasing the trigger and pressing it again resets the circutry and gets u going again. Good luck and enjoy. I have had my set for 2 years now using it every day and picked up the JobMax set this past month which uses the same batteries. This set is impressive.

Bill
        Last edited by NailBanger; 08-26-2010, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Cool thanks.. good to know but strange i got different answers from the tech support. But followed my intuition and posted here.

Ok Garden shed is done except for paint. Next is a 4x8 little play house for my boy then back into the basement to try and make some progress down there before winter hits.

Comment

Nothing against tech supposrt but they only have a troubleshooting list that they follow. What appears on paper is not what always happens in the real world. Having said that if u start noticing the problem with fresh batteries I wouldnt hesiate to bring it to your nearest service center and get them to give the set the once over. A faulty switch in one of the tools I can see as a possibility but not both at the same time. Good luck with the projects.

Bill

Comment

I'm having the same issue with the two speed model 12v driver/drill. I've had the old single speed driver for well over a year and never noticed the trigger thing. Meaning, my older drill doesn't "miss" when the trigger is depressed. BUT, it's a new drill with new batts, sooo

Comment

Originally posted by qholmes View Post
                I purchased the 12 volt drill/impact combo a month ago. I took it in with a problem where the drill would come on sometimes and not others and got worse as the battery got lower. The service guy gave me new batteries but i still have the same issue. When i switched the battery to the impact it did the same thing.... I remember the problem right from the beginning it was just a little pause once in a while but now when the battery gets low but not dead you might have to pull the trigger 10 times to get it to go and then it seems to have good power.

I contacted tech support and he said that my only options are to return it for a new combo pack which i cant do as my home depot doesnt stock this item or take it into the shop and have the guy test and maybe replace the trigger or the charger. I can see how it might be the trigger.. Maybe when the batteries get a bit low and the trigger isnt quite right there could be problems... but both the drill and the impact have the exact same issue and that seems strange to me...

I love these drills or i would just take them back and get my money back. And i also bought them on sale so if i take them back and buy something else i lose out on my sale price.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

Q

I, too, am having an issue with this combo set. I use the flush cut saw to snip off my shim-sticks when installing doors. The unit turns on and off regardless of battery level. I have to hold the head on "just right" with the other hand in order for it to stay on throughout the cut. Annoying. When I first purchased the combo pack I had my orange apron replace the motor unit with another because none of the attachments would work unless the head was pressed on TIGHTLY with your hand. Seems there is something inside that wont let the unit run without a head??? Maybe the heads are not applying enough pressure to "flip the switch"? I really like the tool....but it is getting on my nerves.

Comment

I bought the 18v lithium drill driver combo and am having the same problem. The drill/driver is lacking power or just doesn't work, I can't even back out a screw without having to hit the trigger 5 or 6 times. The impact dosen't seem to have the problem, so I don't think it is a battery issue. My drill driver has the autoshift adjustment and I wonder if it is not shifting or the drill driver is faulty. I like the tools but if this keeps up I will have to have this drill driver replaced. Does anyone have suggestions as to how to fix this situation?

Comment

I just bought the jobmax, let it charge for over 24 hours. Used it on some cabinet trim and it worked but wasn't real happy with the speed. Got half through and the tool started working sometimes other times dead....thought I overheated, let it set, still same problem, put it in the charger and it is charging now. Maybe the ion switch is the problem and it needs more charges to mature. will report back.....

Comment

Green light on....started using it again and not more than 2 minutes of use and problem started again. This isn't going to be my multi-tool if it can't hold a charge.....wanted a corded one anyway but lowe's can't keep them in stock....

Comment

The job max does have a safety switch in it to keep it from running if the head is not on. If you have to hold it in a certain direction or hold it tight against the unit it does haev a problem with the safety interlock. It is a mechanical mechanism that blocks the trigger when the head is not attached.

Comment

Working...
                        X