X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TP1300 broken part question

Hi, New here ..not sure where to ask this question, I tried "Search" to find someone with a similar problem but must not be using right search terms or this never happened before .. so.. question
    Re TP1300 Thickness Planer, what is the function of the Stiffener Plat, Torsion spring and side guard plate on the inside of the Right side cover?
    ..In the parts list they are items 22,23,24 and 25 ( 827928).
    They broke off of the inside cover, the plastic sleeve broke, so I need a new right side cover.

My follow up question is ..since I discovered this by accident while cleaning up the planer after using it .. and I don't know whow long it's been broken ...is it safe to keep on using it?
    It seems to be planing wood quite nicely. Thanks
    chaz

Re: TP1300 broken part question

Chazz,

Welcome to the Ridgid forum!

Well I hate to admit it, but my TP1300 is still in the box, waiting for setup in the new shop... whenever that is going to happen!!!

But a quick look at the exploded view parts illustration and the instruction manual and I can see that those components are on the cutter height adjustment wheel, and/or perhaps the cutter head lock.

So, my thinking is that they may well govern the precision of that adjustment, wheel movement/backlash etc. While it may not be a safety issue, it could well effect the adjustment of the height.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Hey ..Thanks CWSmith ...Thanks for the prompt reply .. I looked at the parts diagram in the Owners' Book but could not find anything on why it was there nor how it was connected to the machine. The only thing broken is the plastic sleeve or cyliner which is part of the inside of the Right Cover onto which the Stiffener Plate and the rest of that stuff is attached. (Sorry I mis-spelled the name of that in the original post), I don't see where or how the Torsion Spring is attached or works. Anyhow ..the Planer works fine and seems to hold it's settings. I did use it last December when the temperatures were quite cold and think it may have broken that plastic part then.
      Again ..thanks for the reply
      chazz ( Charlie)

Comment

Chazz,

You didn't mention how old your TP1300 is (I bought mine just about the time they introduced the new model). Is there a chance that it is still under warranty, or hopefully, you have it registered and are covered by the LLSA.

Probably the best advice (beyond repair of course) would be to talk to Ridgid Technical Support. I'm sure they could offer you some advice.

Good luck,

CWS

Comment

Thanks again, the machine was purchased June of 2001 and I registered it on line at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by chazz View Post
            Thanks again, the machine was purchased June of 2001 and I registered it on line at that time.
            That was before the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement was put into effect. (LLSA was introduced in 2003 as part of the first several months of the new "orange" line of TTI-produced tools... and was made permanent, with proper registration, in 2005.)

You do have a "Lifetime Warranty" on parts and workmanship, which was standard on the Ridgid line of woodworking power tools (the gray-colored units, produced before fall of 2003). I doubt that physical breakage of plastic parts would be covered under either that warranty or the LLSA.

But still, I'd check with Ridgid Technical Support to get their advice/knowledge. They have a reputation for being quite helpful.

CWS

Comment

Hi CWSmith .. we can't keep on meeting like this ....LOL

I did call Ridgid today, seems it's a piece of metal which slides across the slot in which the depth of cut crank shaft moves up and down. It's a type of sawdust shield.
              I was just down the street looking at my neighbor's TP1300 to see what mine is suppose to look like.
              Thanks for your replies
              Charlie

Comment

Chazz,

Sounds like it's not exactly essential to use, at least in the short term.

Stick around if you wish, this forum is a great place for answers to questions to questions and a good place to join in with your own experiences. Nice bunch of folks on here too.

Good luck with your planer and projects,

CWS

Comment

Working...
                X