7000w Generator cannot run water pump

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7000w Generator cannot run water pump

i have been running a Honda EM5000S to run the house with no problems, for 15 yrs, now it is time to replace it
    Purchase the 7000 Ridgid and cannot run the water pump , the honda was 20 amps, the 7000 is 30 amps - (changed the plug to 30 amps).
    Is there soemthing wrong with the generator or is going to 30 amp the probelm - like the 7000 is bigger then the 5000, adn did not think that there should be any problems with a bigger wattage generator

Still really confused why the smaller honda can run the pump and this larger unit cannot - all we changed was the plug from a 20 amp to a 30 amp

Re: 7000w Generator cannot run water pump

What kind of pump?

J.C.

Comment

i have gone thru 2 water pumps now, the 1st was 3/4hp the second is 1/2 hp both are Diamond mfg

Comment

I'm assuming submersible well pump.

Have you confirmed power going to/coming out of-the control switch?

J.C.

Comment

is the pump set up to run on 120volts or 240volts? what type of pump? well or sump? what is the watts on the pump motor?

I would guess there is operator erro or a miss wiring or some thing that is faulty, in either the pump or the generator,

I would think if the old ran the pump the new should too,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

it is a jet pump, and i rehooked up my 5000 generator and the pumps work -- so that is a honda 5000, and a king 5000 generators that have no problem with startign the water pump
            Still like to know why the 7000 cannot turn over the water pump, the king is using the 30amp plug.

so i had 2 different brand of generators that supplied the hydro to the house with no problems

again why is the 7000 Ridgid not able to do the same - what is different with this generator then the Honda and the King brand generators

Comment

Have to know the specs of the generators. The other ones may have the "surge" power that the Ridgid may not. Doesn't seem to make sense though.

Have to know the specs. Repost in the electricians section and you may get a better/more educated answer.

J.C.
              Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 08-31-2010, 09:48 AM.

Comment

thnaks JC , i will report in the electrical area ... Yes it does not make much sense to me either, the 5000;s would power below the 7000, and i think the surges to 8250 or there abouts -- so i really think that there is soemthing wrong with thsi generator - like it is not setup right and it is from a sealed box

Comment

A couple of questions here......
                  I'm a little confused about your statements regarding the use of 20amp and 30amp connections. You talk about using 20amp on some generators and 30amp on others. Noted that you "changed" the Ridgid outlet to a 30amp connection. why?
                  Are you certain that the job was done correctly?
                  Have you checked the output with a meter?
                  Is the output 120 volts?
                  If yes to all the above I would change the receptical back to a 20 amp and return or exchange the generator.......good luck, Ray
                  Last edited by roadrashray; 08-31-2010, 11:48 AM.

Comment

as asked before is the pump set up for 120 or 240 volts, if you are trying to power a 240 volt motor on 120 volts you would have some problems.

I would check the voltage on the generator and also the voltage that the motor is to run at, and see if your set up correctly,
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

First off, there's no Ridgid 7000w generator. There's a 6800w (RD6800) and a 8000w (RD8000), but no such animal as a 7000w. Which do you have?

Next, "7000w Generator cannot run water pump" isn't descriptive enough. What exactly are you experiencing? The engine boggs down when the pump kicks in? Engine maintains speed but the pump won't run? Pops circuit breakers?

My crystal ball is in the shop, so help a brother out here.

EDIT: My bad... apparently there IS a 7000w RD7000 generator. Odd that I haven't seen one yet.
                      Last edited by Doctordeere; 09-02-2010, 07:00 PM.
                      "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                        X