X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tile Saw R4090 The Beast

I just purchased one of these after a 10 month parts fiasco with QEP trying to repair my existing saw. QEP has nice helpful people but they have no revision control on their products and no quality control at their incoming parts inspection. Most of the parts received were the wrong configuration, not compatible or damaged.

I have unpacked and assembled the Ridgid R4090 Beast 10" commercial wet tile saw and here are a few of my observations.
    1. Plastic water supply valves are inadequate for this application. The diverter valve failed before the first use. The screw that holds the knob to the valve fractured the attachment point when it was assembled at the factory. Soon as it was moved it broke. This needs to be redesigned and retro fit parts sent to each owner as soon as possible. I contacted the customer service center in South Carolina and spoke to the supervisor, Andrea. Her statement indicated that there are no domestic parts for this saw and they cannot supply replacement parts for 90 to 120 days. The result is that I have to return the saw, 65 miles one way, to get a replacement saw and then spend the 2 hours assembling it again. My suggestion is to hold off buying this saw for 120 days until Ridgid can get their act together. Or you will need to be prepared to have to return to the Home Depot store to get parts if your saw has the same design flaw. It is short sited on Ridgid's part to have a business plan that does not anticipate this type of issue. I guess it is because the saws are produced off shore in Taiwan along with the parts. Not having the parts stops the sale of a $900 saw for a $1.50 valve. Where is the sense in that?
    2. The assembly instructions need a better diagram for the water supply tubes for routing purposes.
    3. Poor water supply hose hook up valve. Had to use channel locks to get the hose fitting to seat. This should be a 90 degree down pipe to take the strain off the valve assemble as the support bracket is too weak.
    4. No pump motor tether that would allow you to stow the pump when the saw is being moved. Saves time to not have to pull the tubes each time.
    5. The water tank should have holes to accept hooks to hang the tank on when the saw is in the stowed position. These hooks could be welded to the inner wheel assembly cross member so the tank and pump can be hung on it when not in use. This would solve the challenge for item #4.

Re: Tile Saw R4090 The Beast

what about the fact that Ridgid does not recommend this saw "the beast" to be used to cut porcelin tiles. I was shocked to find this out after buying my saw. All the Home Depot reps swore up and down that it is designed to cut porcelin tiles. This peeves me off !!

Comment

I don't want to sound stupid but I like to get on this forum so I can gain a better understanding of what people are looking for in their equipment and the type of problems they are encountering. What is the difference between cutting porcelin tiles and other types of tile?

Comment

Porcelin tiles are much harder material than ceramic. Typically, porcelin can't be cut without breaking with a manual tile cutter like ceramic can. OK, I get that porcelin is a harder material, but come on!!......... the beast has a 15amp powerful motor......... if it is "not recommended" for porcelin tiles, then what wet saw is ?? RIDGID & HOME DEPOT had better get together on this issue so that the customer is NOT misled again like I was.

Comment

I think that the store rep had a little mis-information. I have cut all kinds of tile with the saw (porcelain, granite, slate, etc). In fact, the variable speed is what helps with some of those materials. Porcelain is a little harder to cut because every now and then they crack towards the end of the cut. Even most cheap saws can cut porcelain if you run it through slow enough, so I don't know why a store would say that the Ridgid won't cut porcelain.
          As for the tank, I hang it on the handle. Also, the pump has a quick disconnect, I pull it off and throw it in the bucket when I am done.

Comment

PBart, please check your private messages.

Thanks,

Josh

Comment

Trekhead
              it is RIDGID that states that they don't recommend the beast be used to cut porcelin tiles.

all the HD store reps said it is ok to cut porcelin.

Comment

just purchased the R4090 today and the diverter valve was broken, also the lock knob is on so tight channel lock pliers are the only way to get it loose.
                It will go back to Home Depot tomorrow.

Comment

It would not surprise me if there wasn't some negative advertising going on with regards to the R4090 not being able to cut Porcellin tile, I've had nothing but excellent results in any material so far and I use this thing every day. Good luck, this is a great saw.

Comment

no problems so far, except one. after i made the first cut i've notice that the cut is not perfect straight but it's off with 2 mm on 18'' tile. Is there an adjustment screw somewhere?. Because mine came without the manual. thx

Comment

Alt,
                      I have owned this saw for a year now and I have now concluded that this saw is JUNK for the following reasons in order of importance:
                      1. This saw will never cut straight, especially on long tiles eg. 24". No matter what you do , it will never cut straight...poor engineering. I have learned to live with it by shimming the tile with a piece of sheet metal for each tile everytime. PITA.
                      2. Water will spray EVERYWHERE with this tile saw. You cannot cut inside a finished home with this saw, you will soak everything. Even in the garage in the winter in Toronto, I had 1 inch of ice all around the saw on the floor after cutting 10 tiles.
                      3. The plastic valves and fittings for the water are 100% JUNK...they break with the slightest pressure. (PEX plumbing would be DEAD if their fittings were of this quality...LOL)

Keep in mined I paid $639 CDN for this saw and the saw was paid for+ on the first job...having said that, I wish I would have returned it and bought a DeWalt or MK...cost more but well worth it.
                      This saw will drive a Tile Contactor NUTS using it daily (each time I use this saw, I wish I had returned it right away....the 10-20 times I have used mine)
                      Return this saw if you can buddy!

Comment

I own 2 of the R4090.

PROBLEM:
                        I was using one to cut a Tile, as usual, and the blade doesn't move...
                        It makes the noise as if it was to move, but it stays still, so I press the switch back of; tried again, and nothing, does the same thing, the noise with no movement...

Any Suggestions? Idea of What could be wrong?

---------------------------------------------------------------

I use the R4090 as what they are for, as a "commercial tile saw", so I "cut tiles" and stones; up to 36".

Both of the R4090 have the tendency of not cutting straight. I tried to manage the inconvenience by not locking the saw and doing it manually.
                        I don't lock the saw, I mark and the slightly press the blade across, to mark the cutting line and then continue to move the tile back and forth as I keep adding pressure 'till I finish the cut.

Comment

I own 2 of the R4090.

PROBLEM:
                          I was using one to cut a Tile, as usual, and the blade doesn't move...
                          It makes the noise as if it was to move, but it stays still, so I press the switch back of; tried again, and nothing, does the same thing, the noise with no movement...

Any Suggestions? Idea of What could be wrong?

---------------------------------------------------------------

I use the R4090 as what they are for, as a "commercial tile saw", so I "cut tiles" and stones; up to 36".

Both of the R4090 have the tendency of not cutting straight. I tried to manage the inconvenience by not locking the saw and doing it manually.
                          I don't lock the saw, I mark and the slightly press the blade across, to mark the cutting line and then continue to move the tile back and forth as I keep adding pressure 'till I finish the cut.

Comment

Working...
                          X