Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3650 Tilt rod

Hello
    My tilt rod is not connected to the knuckle, and I can't figure out how to reattach it. Is there a keeper on the handle/handwheel end that I can't see? Or do I have to flip her over and unbolt the whole trunion/saw assembly?
    Thanks

Re: TS3650 Tilt rod

I should add that I bought this saw used and never checked the bevel. It could well be that the guy I bought it from never intended to veer from 90, so didn't engage the adjustment rod with the knuckle. I donno.

Comment

here is the parts manual for the 3650:

http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/FD9D936...3650_402_r.pdf

what is the nature of the difficuty? is it that there appears to be no room between the tilt knuckle and the retaining bearing, i.e., trying to fit the tilt rod between two unadjustable points? i'm going to assume you have tried manually tilting the cradle, once the bevel lock is loosened and the 45* bevel stops have been backed out as much as possible? i hope you don't have to move the trunions to provide enough room between the tilt knuckle and the retaining bearing. that would appear to be a difficult adjustment from which to recover.
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Thanks for answering. I haven't tried tilting the cradle, since doing so would actually bring the knuckle closer to the threaded rod and what I need is a little distance so I can thread it back in. But since I'm just guessing, I'll try that in the morning.
        Is the "bearing" on the threaded rod just a friction fit on the rod or can I slide it (I don't want to force anything if I can help it). It is not shown as two separate parts on the parts drawing. (it's that ball at the right end, looking at the drawing). Thanks again.

Comment

And yes, you identified the problem correctly by saying I am trying to back the rod away from one immovable part but am blocked by another immovable part.

Comment

apologies about the tilting comment...i got a little turned around in thinking about your problem. tilting would make the space you are working in smaller, not larger. with the blade at 90*, how much more room would you estimate is needed to swing the tilt rod into place in order to engage the knuckle?

Comment

Probably 1/2 in. I just noticed, by blowing up the parts drawing to 800 per cent (that's what I love about PDFs), what looks like a set screw on the ball attached to the screw rod. I'm going to go inspect and, hopefully, fix my problem. I'll let you know. Thanks again.

Comment

OK. It wasn't a set screw, but a roll pin on that part, and it was tough to get out because of the cramped space and the fact I couldn't move it away from the frame. But I did get it out, threaded the rod back in and tested it all to my satisfaction. I'm thrilled to be able to do this kind of stuff and grateful for the help and support from you.
                Tom

Comment

just curioius...did you reinstall the roll pin once the tilt rod was re-threaded?

Comment

Yes. Without the bearing pinned there would be no pressure holding the carriage at 90 degrees.

Comment

Working...
                    X