Replacement 18V Lithium batteries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Replacement 18V Lithium batteries

Li-ion batteries should be able to charge regardless of the capacity left in them.There biggest selling point when they started out was they don't get a memory as ni-cad do. "there are a lot of manufacturers that claim this isn't true about ni-cads but there are just as many that do and with personal experiance I tend to believe they do". Without checking them My guess would be the circuitry in your charger isn't reading them correctly. Another possiblilty would include being too hot to charge effectively initially after use.

Comment

i recently left my 18v li-ion battery pack in a light and drained the battery down to ~8v, now the charger says it's dead and won't charge it back at all. it there a way to get the voltage back up ~18v for the charger to work?

thanks
      gary

Comment

About the only thing you can try is exciting it by shorting it to another battery. If you do this just do it for a split second. Everyonce in a while this gets a dead battery up enough for the charger to read it.

Comment

So + to + and - to - of the same voltage li-ion battery?
          thanks
          gary

Comment

Yes Sir, Much like jump starting your car. Don't do it for long though if the dead battery actually has a short it will damage good battery.

Comment

Originally posted by texan168 View Post
              Yes Sir, Much like jump starting your car. Don't do it for long though if the dead battery actually has a short it will damage good battery.

Worst advice ever. Battery has no current limiter like charger does, you will either blow a BMS in one of the batteries or cause a fire. Never connect li-ion to another li-ion battery. Jeez, leaving this forum for a month is like giving monkey a grenade.

Comment

Originally posted by glmsas View Post
                So + to + and - to - of the same voltage li-ion battery?
                thanks
                gary
                do NOT do this. This is only safe with SLA batteries and semi-safe with NiCd. The only way to revive a li-ion batt is by inserting it into a charger a dozen times until it starts charging. If this does not work, your battery is TOAST and nothing you can do short of replacing cells or individually charging them with an RC grade programmable li-ion/li-po charger.BMS

edit2: That will teach you how to buy tools with crappy low voltage cutoff circuitry.
                Last edited by DRC-Wartex; 09-28-2010, 06:15 PM.

Comment

THANK HEAVENS YOUR BACK! DID YOU GO ON A HOLIDAY!!! Seriously can you ever say anything without being condescending dork boy?

Comment

Never told him to connect them only to excite the dead batter. Specificly said he should only do it for a split second. This will not cause a fire and shouldn't fry his good battery although that possibibility exists which I told him as well. I fail to see where your grandiose comments are warranted.

Comment

Originally posted by texan168 View Post
                      Never told him to connect them only to excite the dead batter. Specificly said he should only do it for a split second. This will not cause a fire and shouldn't fry his good battery although that possibibility exists which I told him as well. I fail to see where your grandiose comments are warranted.

For example, running very high current thru a transistor junction even for milliseconds is guaranteed to blow it. Stop treating li-ion batteries as car batteries fer Christ's sake, they work differently. There is a lot more than just cells in li-ion batteries. Also "boosting" a dead li-ion cell takes a lot more than "just a moment". There is also a chance that there is a circuit that does not allow reverse current via main terminals unless there is certain resistance or voltage present on auxiliary terminals. Some brand batteries have + and - soldered directly to first and last cells with taps in-between going to the BMS, some have + or - routed via a MOSFET. If a cell in the middle of the pack is below minimum voltage threshold, "boosting" the whole pack is useless, you need to take the pack apart and bring that individual cell up and then try to charge the pack.

My point is, stop giving advice if you don't know how these batteries work, you may cost someone money and maybe health too. Yes you can blow (well, it will vent violently thanks to govt safety requirements) up a cylindrical cell by charging it wrong for just a split second.

If you have an issue with batteries, PLEASE call Ridgid service center, do not rely on "redneck science" on this forum. Do not wire anything foreign to your batteries.

pesciwasp, from now on I shall name you Goatse Man.
                      Last edited by DRC-Wartex; 09-29-2010, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
                        For example, running very high current thru a transistor junction even for milliseconds is guaranteed to blow it. Stop treating li-ion batteries as car batteries fer Christ's sake, they work differently. There is a lot more than just cells in li-ion batteries. Also "boosting" a dead li-ion cell takes a lot more than "just a moment". There is also a chance that there is a circuit that does not allow reverse current via main terminals unless there is certain resistance or voltage present on auxiliary terminals. Some brand batteries have + and - soldered directly to first and last cells with taps in-between going to the BMS, some have + or - routed via a MOSFET. If a cell in the middle of the pack is below minimum voltage threshold, "boosting" the whole pack is useless, you need to take the pack apart and bring that individual cell up and then try to charge the pack.

My point is, stop giving advice if you don't know how these batteries work, you may cost someone money and maybe health too. Yes you can blow (well, it will vent violently thanks to govt safety requirements) up a cylindrical cell by charging it wrong for just a split second.

If you have an issue with batteries, PLEASE call Ridgid service center, do not rely on "redneck science" on this forum. Do not wire anything foreign to your batteries.

pesciwasp, from now on I shall name you Goatse Man.
                        see how nice it is to give a response without acting like a tool! Aside from the jab at me that is.

Comment

I stand corrected just took one apart and it has a couple pcbs along with rectifiers my idea definately would not work and would probably damage board on good battery.

Comment

hi ya folks i have some guy i know telling me ridgid does not warranty batterys for life any more is this true or BS? i mean as long as you reg your tool kit they do right?

Comment

Well let me start off by saying that i am VERY! disappointed in Ridgid.
                              Last year I purchased the 18V Lithium drill and impact set to replace a Dewalt I have had for 5 years..I was a bit skeptical not having any ridgid battery tools but the free lifetime repair and battery replacement warrenty swayed my decision. Once I had it home and charged, used it the first time..I Loved it! Greatest drill and driver set i have ever owned.. about a month ago one of the batteries started acting funny like it was only 14v instead of 18v. I thought "No big deal..I have the lifetime warranty." So off I go to Home Depot battery and registration info in had.. Once i get there..the very nice lady informs me that i have to pay a $35 dollar fee for the battery to be evaluated?!?..what hold on here.. You know I have no problem with paying 5 or 10 bucks to have the battery shipped back..but NO WHERE! did it say in the warranty info that I would be required to pay a evaluation fee that is half the price of a new battery.. and then wait 2 to 3 weeks to get it back....If this is their idea of a warrenty I will not be buying any other ridgid tools.

Comment

First mistake is going to HD after the HD 3 month return policy. Second, if you didn't register your tools you still have the 3yr Ridgid warranty...find your receipts, contact Ridgid and read the warranty information again

Comment

Working...
                                X