X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sds max shank extension

Hi, have a sds-max hammer/ drill with digging accessories...shovel, chisel points...tamper....etc....I need to extend the reach of some of the tools...make the shank longer...i was looking at the;

Hitachi 725782 SDS Max 12-1/2-Inch Rotary Hammer Shank Extension

Does anyone know if this will extend the shaft or shank of a tool ? I am asking as the OEM description seems vague and the stock photo don't show the ends clearly...I can't see how the tool I have will fit into the extension...hopefully someone has experience with this tool type..

Re: sds max shank extension

sds max is sds max

sds is not sds max

between all the different drills and hammers, i think i have them all

have the 3/4'' hex

the 3/4'' hex with round shank end

spline drive

sds

sds max

1 1/8'' hex (standard)

makita 1 1/8'' hex with round shank (odd ball) just adam and i

start buying the shovel and asphalt cutters for them all

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

How does that pertain to my question ?

Comment

sds max is sds max. meaning that if they both take sds max, then they are the same.

the sds is different than the sds max.

keep in mind every extension will absorb some of your impact. don't think the shovels come in multiple lengths, but the chisels and points do.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          sds max is sds max. meaning that if they both take sds max, then they are the same.

the sds is different than the sds max.

keep in mind every extension will absorb some of your impact. don't think the shovels come in multiple lengths, but the chisels and points do.

rick.
          So, to be clear.....that extension that i quoted in the first text will fit an sds max tool point ?.....if you look at the photo on the amazon page...I can't figure out how my existing tool...like a chisel point...will fit into it....do you have one of these ?

Thanks for the help....all of my stuff is sds max...But it is all only a little over 12 " long bending over is getting more of a workout on my back than I want at this point in the game...

Comment

please post a link to your tool and the hitachi. or at least a photo.

sds max i believe was either a bosch or hilti invention. they all copy the design. therefore it's called a sds max.

like i said there are approx 6 different types of drives. the common ones are the sds, sds max, spline drive, spline with round shank, 3/4'' hex, 3/4'' hex with round shank, 1 1/8'' hex and makita 1 1/8'' hex with round shank.

it wouldn't say sds max unless it fits a sds max. post the link or photos for confirmation.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I do not see how it chucks up, either, it jsut looks like a rod, the amazon site picture

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-725782...bxgy_hi_text_c

Attached Files
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Along with the extension, you'll need to buy a $300.00 shank to shank adapter. Hitachi 725780

Comment

you beat me to it

the way they're selling it is the shank and the chuck as 2 separate parts.

check other makers for a 1 pc. design that would be less expensive.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

looks like hilti is done the same way too

http://www.hilti.com/data/editorials...E70_ATC_en.pdf

rick.

i googled sds max extensions and this site came up. they have sds max adapters, but nothing looks like a male x female sds max extension. http://www.toolfetch.com/adapters-extensions.shtml
                    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 09-13-2010, 12:07 AM.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

http://www.google.com/products/catal...7576240386466#

I think this illustration shows things a bit clearer. the sds end of the extension would fit int the chuck at the drill end. The "spline with detent" would receive another sds chuck which in turn would hold the sds bit or attachment! I don't believe there is any way around having two chucks, one for the drill end and one for the extension end.
                      Last edited by Frankiarmz; 09-13-2010, 12:20 AM.

Comment

You can use the sds max to 3/4 hex adapter from bosch to get more length. It adds about 15". Only issue is then you need to use hex shank bits.

Comment

Working...
                        X