X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1300 planar, motor removal

So I bought this Ridgid 13" planar from a guy off of Craigslist. (not something I would normally do) Seemed to run fine, had new blades. About the 4th board I stuck in it bogged down, I turned it off and removed the board. It started to smoke. (it was unplugged) I let it set and came back to it the next day.

Long story short it runs "rough" and needs to have the motor repaired. Since I didn't buy it new I'm guessing it's not covered by the lifetime warranty. But I can have the motor repaired or replace it myself. The problem is I can't figure out how it comes out? There is a solid rod that runs through the motor and into the cast housing on each side. According to the manual there is no break so no way to split the rod that the motor pivots on. Any ideas how to get this beast off?

thanks,

Johnathn

Re: 1300 planar, motor removal

Johnathan,

Welcome to the Ridgid forum.

Sorry to hear that you are having a problem with your Ridgid thickness planer. You didn't mention how old it was (yes, I saw you purchased it used) or the model number. Seeing that it is "used" I will presume it is a TP1300. If it is the newer model, then it may still be under warranty. Either model will be "orange"... but if it's fairly old (prior to 2003), then the color will be gray with red/orange trim.

The old gray models had a Limited Lifetime warranty, against defects in material and workmanship. The newer "orange" models have a 3-year warranty, unless it was purchase in the fall of 2003 or first quarter of 2004; in which case, it was given the LLSA as part of the introduction of the new TTI-made lineup.

I suggest you try to pin the date of manufacture down... it may be marked on the name/serial number plate or perhaps you could ask the previous owner (for warranty and service center repair possibilities).

The "repair sheet" (Parts List) has exploded view illustrations and that may be of some help to you, if you are proceeding on your own. But, I suggest you call Ridgid Technical Support and see if anyone there can assist you. Here is a link to the Ridgid support page where you'll find reference to service centers, parts, etc. http://ridgid.com/Tools/Support/ They should also be able to tell you the approximate manufacture date based on the unit's serial number.

I'd also check with your nearest authorized service center and get an estimate from them. Parts are available from Ridgid as well as from "M and D Mower" in Ohio. (http://www.m-and-d.com/ridgid_parts.html?id=CKpycxnT)

I hope this helps,

CWS
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the reply. It is a model TP1300 1. No mention of a date. It is the grey model, not orange. I can't imagine a warranty would transfer to the 2nd owner but it's worth a shot. I'll give them a call.

The guy at Home depot said bring it in and they would send it out to the service center and get a quote. My concern was a new motor unit is listed at $300. Add on labor and it's the cost of a new planer. My thought was if I could get it out and to a motor shop it could be repaired without needed a whole new one.

thanks again,

Johnathn

Comment

Johnathn,

The older "gray" colored units had a "Lifetime Warranty" against defects in material and workmanship. As far as I know, there is little or no difference in the design between the "gray" and the "orange" TP1300. I do have a "gray" Ridgid DP1550-1 drill press and I believe the warranty statement is identical across the product line, at that time. I do not recall if the warranty was transferrable and unfortunately my manual (w/the warranty statement) is down at the other house. I'll be returning there this coming weekend and I'll take a look.

I think your thoughts on getting the motor rewound is probably the best avenue, if the thing isn't covered under the warranty. But of course you need to make sure that it is the "motor" that is the problem of course. The motor is a "universal" design, I believe (as opposed to an "induction" motor). As such, it employs "brushes"... which probably need to be checked for wear. The motor should also be equipped with a thermal oveload, which I would have hoped protected the motor from overload and any damaging of the winding.

I do agree that $300 seems a bit excessive and certainly, as you state, is practically the cost of a new planer. (At this point, I should point out that there is a 20% rebate on Ridgid tools purchase during September, 2010.)

Again, call Ridgid Techical Support for their advice on motor removal and/or warranty service under the old "Lifetime Warranty". It might be fruitless, but one never knows.

Good luck,

CWS

Comment

Johnathn..if your planer is gray, it is covered by a lifetime warranty that attaches to the tool and not the owner. the older, gray tools had their warranty printed on the last page of the owners manual and the manual for your specific planer does not appear to be available on ridgid's website. the warranty for cws's planer is there, and it is more restrictive than the warranty on your machine. here is a link to the manual for ridgid's TS which was manufactured around the same time as your planer:

http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/88E7884...le_Saw_Man.pdf

the last page has the warranty which applies to your machine. note there is no reference to ownership. also, the serial number of your machine will indicate that it is an older machine covered by this warranty. i'd contact ridgid CS and confirm it's coverage. i have an older, gray TS and jointer and thay reflect the same coverage as the linked warranty. all you'll probably have to do is bring it to an authorized repair center for a covered fix. HTH.
          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Finer,

Thanks for the post and the link. I was going to look at my "gray" 1550 drill press manual, as I know it has the older "lifetime" warranty on the back page... without having it in front of me, I wasn't sure if the warranty was transferrable.

Thanks,

CWS

Comment

I'm just going by memory so dont write this in stone. After completely disassembling the top and sides when you pull the switch cover off the motor that rod will come out. It has a bend in it that is held in place by the cover.

Comment

Thanks for all the posts. I put it back together and took it in to Home Depot. They said it couldn't be fixed under warranty because I didn't have the receipt. (I do have the original manual and it says it was purchased in 2001 and does have a lifetime warranty on the planer) I told them to send it to the service center anyway and I would deal with them directly. They seemed annoyed but it is on the way and we'll see what they have to say.

The guys I bought it off of said it was only a couple of years old. I wish I would of did a little homework and found out how old it was. It just looked in really good shape. I guess if they can't fix it lesson learned. If they do.... good for me and lesson learned.

thanks again for the help!

Comment

good luck with getting the planer repaired. for the record, HD has nothing to do with ridgid's lifetime warranty or service agreements. in the future, steering clear of them on repair issues would probably be adviseable as all they will probably do is create an additional layer of communication which will hopefully not work to your disadvantage.
                  there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...
                  X