X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can lithium batteries be fixed?

I've found that when my 18V. Nicads go "bad" it's usually only one or two cells inside that are bad. I've been replacing them for years with great results. Can I do the same with lithiums? Also, can an expert tell me how to get the 24V. apart---the 18Volts are easy? I took all the bolts out, but the pack doesn't seem to separate.
    Thanks, Jeff

Re: Can lithium batteries be fixed?

Why are you repairing these things yourself, they're covered under warranty and under the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement, a Ridgid authorized service center should just replace them for you.... OR, didn't you register the tools?

If not, take a "lesson learned" and make sure you register them from now on. (End of lecture... sorry, no disrespect intended )

But, to answer your question, I think they can be repaired in a similar manner as the NiCads. Except, there are safety concerns with Li-Ions, as improper assembly can render the batteries dangerous and at risk for fire or explosion. For that reason, Ridgid may have designed their assembly to prevent tampering. That's only a guess of course.

Hopefully someone will have experience with these and post.

Sorry I can't be more helpful,

CWS

Comment

I received two used 24V. batteries as part of a tool combo on Ebay, so no warranty involved, I don't think. Both charge to about 21 volts, so I'm guessing most of the cells inside are good.

Comment

I use to take em apart and repair em just for fun but found that rewelding the broken strap was not a very effective fix as that My silver solder technique leaves something to be desired. There may be a screw under neath the sticker it also may be partially glued together. It is a very tight fit as they use a lot of filler material inside once you do have all the screws out try to pry it apart gently with a screw driver.

Comment

Working...
        X