Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need a drill press

Hello everyone.

I have had a small delta benchtop drill press for a couple of years and have never used it. I have listed it on craigslist but am now having second thoughts. It seems all the articles I read on "must have tools" include a drill press. Problem is, I can't find uses for it. Am I missing something? It seems like with such a small table there is no way to use the drill press on a larger piece of wood (I am a weekend hobbyist)

So, in your expert opinions, should I actually keep this thing or am I correct in not using it for building basic furniture.

thanks,
    Dennis

Re: Do I need a drill press

Two days after you sell it you'll need it. On the other hand it could be that the projects you do will never require one. If you haven't used it since you bought it then maybe you don't but I'll still bet that two days after you sell it you'll need it.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I agree with BadgerDave plus if you sell it you will only get a portion of what you paid for it, a benchtop model won't take much room to store and then when you need it you'll have it. As far as the table size you can buy a drill press table or build a shop one, to enlarge it. That's on my list to do. Pat

Comment

I have had a floor model drill press for about 25 years and wouldn't be without one. I'm really not sure how useful a bench model would be... probably not as versatile as a floor model but still I bet it would be useful.

However, you certainly CAN build basic furniture without a drill press. There are many types of joinery that are very suitable for furniture and do not require a drill press.

On the other hand, there are many operations that a drill press eases, or does faster and better than any other tool. Some have nothing to do with drilling. I tend to design with many large radius curves, which I typically cut out with a jigsaw and then smooth and "sand to the line" on a drum sander, mounted in the drill press. I also favor mortise and tenon style joints, and have very good luck with a simple mortising attachment for my drill press that mortises very quickly. Of course, I have shop-made jigs that aid in the precise location and spacing of holes for things such as adjustable shelf pins. Very large hole saws are much easier and safer to use in the press than in a portable drill.

I have a cross-slide vise and an angle vise which mount to t-slots on the drill press table. Both are very handy... I tend to leave the cross-slide vise on the table. These are also very useful when working metal, which I do at least as much as I work wood.

I would say, get a set of drum sanders and if you can, a good cross-slide vise. Build a couple of tables to bold or clamp to the existing table. One to facilitate drum sanding and one with a fence to simply allow you to quickly drill a line of holes in a board. I think you'll find your machine to be quite useful.

Comment

Interesting that you haven't found some need for your bench top DP.

I added a floor model to my little basement shop about three or four years ago, and I use it far more than I ever thought that I would. It is rare that I build anything without using the DP.

Just this afternoon, I decided to put some casters on my router table... and yep, between the mounting blocks, leg supports, and caster mounting plates, I think I must have drilled 20 holes... just so much easier, because the DP is there, just waiting to go.

Between jigs and projects it's just a darn nice tool to have. Without it, I know I would be drilling those pilot hole, counter sinking, or much of the other requirements that the DP facilitates.

CWS

Comment

Thanks for the response guys, but I sold it. Maybe part of the problem was it was tucked in the corner and never "ready to go", so I just used my cordless to drill holes. Also, I had no jigs for the thing. Guess if I ever miss it I could always buy another....

-Dennis

Comment

Thanks for the response guys, but I sold it. Maybe part of the problem was it was tucked in the corner and never "ready to go", so I just used my cordless to drill holes. Also, I had no jigs for the thing. Guess if I ever miss it I could always buy another....

-Dennis

Comment

Well if you decide you need another by the end of september, grab a hf 20% coupon, find a hd that will accept it and grab the ridgid. Send in the ridgid rebate for another 20% back and you end up with a great drill press for ~$210.

I just did.

Comment

hmmm. Maybe I will do that with the portable table saw

Comment

Out of curiosity, does anyone know a HD that takes the HF coupons in the Pittsburgh area?

Comment

Originally posted by djkert View Post
                      Out of curiosity, does anyone know a HD that takes the HF coupons in the Pittsburgh area?
                      It's probably ymmv depending upon the policy of the local store and the manager on duty. The usual excuse is HD does not consider HF the competitor like Lowes. Lowes prices and coupons are usually matched or accepted. The only way to know is to ask....what have you got to lose? Use a nice printed copy from a magazine

Comment

Originally posted by djkert View Post
                        I got one of my HDs to take the HF coupon twice. First time no problem cashier checked me out, second one I went back the day after purchase to get a price adjustment at the customer service desk, it took some explaining as to what/who HF is, when I explain they sell drill presses and I bought a drill press from HD they finally took it. As already stated it don't hurt to try.

Comment

Working...
                        X