X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planer problem--at wit's end

So I have the R4330 planer, which I love. My problem is that it recently began leaving tiny ridges along the length of the workpiece. I know, I know, it looked like the knives were nicked. But I tried offsetting one of the knives, and the ridges are there in the exact same place. What else could cause this?

Thanks in advance,
    Bryan

P.S. While I'm on the subject, I've been trying to clean the rollers, but I can't get them to turn. They appear to be working when the machine is operating, i.e. no problem feeding the workpiece, but am I supposed to be able to turn them around by hand? And is there a trick to it that I'm missing? Thanks again.

Re: Planer problem--at wit's end

Sounds like your knives may be getting dull and need replacing.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by mued View Post
      So I have the R4330 planer, which I love. My problem is that it recently began leaving tiny ridges along the length of the workpiece. I know, I know, it looked like the knives were nicked. But I tried offsetting one of the knives, and the ridges are there in the exact same place. What else could cause this?

Thanks in advance,
      Bryan

P.S. While I'm on the subject, I've been trying to clean the rollers, but I can't get them to turn. They appear to be working when the machine is operating, i.e. no problem feeding the workpiece, but am I supposed to be able to turn them around by hand? And is there a trick to it that I'm missing? Thanks again.
      Try shifting the other one in the other direction. Whatever nicked your knife got them both, and you likely weren't able to shift one knife enough by itself. If it still leaves a ridge, and you don't want to pop for new knives, just make a second final pass. That should get it.

No, you generally can't roll the feed rollers by hand. Be careful when working around the planer knives!

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies, guys. I admit I had thought about the possibility of dull knives and that I might not have shifted the knives enough, but I guess I should have mentioned the same ridges happened in the same place when I flipped the knives over to their fresh new side, which should have been nick-free on all 3. Which is why I'm confused. Is it possible that something in the machine itself is causing the nicks? I'd hate to drop $30+ on a new set of knives only to have them get nicked as well first time around. But, if there are no other possible solutions, I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and risk it.

Maybe it really is time to learn how to tune up and use that jointer plane . . .

Thanks,
        Bryan

Comment

Check the rollers if it's on the top side of the boards, could be something stuck on the roller. Or ..is it on the bottom?? could be something on the table causing it

Comment

If flipping all your blades made no difference. Then the most likely possiblility is that the bearings on your rollers are worn or you have debris on the rollers. The planer uses oil lite brass sleeve bearings and they do get out of round.

You can not turn the rollers by hand. They are connected by a chain drive and sprockets to the motor. You can turn the motor by hand and it will turn your rollers.

Comment

I do not have this model of planer,

but on mine I have to carefully set the depth of the knife in the holder/head, (mine also has three blades), but if both or all three knives are not set the same depth, you could have nicked knives and shifting the knife may not remove ridge from wood, as only one knive is doing the final cutting,

If your wood has ridges on it it most likely the knives, (nicks in the knife not cutting as deep),

if your wood has groves in it then some thing is scratching it or indenting it, some thing in the or on the table or the rollers, (I suppose it could be possible that some kind of build up on the knife could do it but I would not think real likely),
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice, folks. Finally had time tonight to get in the shop and dig into things, and after much examination, I'm going to go with BHD's explanation about knife height. The rollers were clean, everything else checked out, so I took out the knives, cleaned out the cutterhead real good, and made dead certain that the knives registered firmly in their slots when I put them back in. Now she's purring like a kitten, and I have the 25 boardfeet or so of freshly-milled maple to prove it. 8^) Thanks again--now to quit fussin' with the machines and actually MAKE something . . . .

--Bryan

Comment

for future reference:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...9700074242027#
                  there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...
                  X