X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools without battery

I bought an 18V lithium battery Rigid tool package (auto sift drill, sawsall, radio, etc) several months ago. I now want to add an impact drill, but don't need the batteries, pouch that comes with the current Home Depot offering. Where/how can I buy just the impacrt drill sans all the other stuff?

Thanks,

Re: Tools without battery

Originally posted by VTwoodman View Post
    I bought an 18V lithium battery Rigid tool package (auto sift drill, sawsall, radio, etc) several months ago. I now want to add an impact drill, but don't need the batteries, pouch that comes with the current Home Depot offering. Where/how can I buy just the impacrt drill sans all the other stuff?

Thanks,

Id check Ebay or amazon for a bare tool. Should find one real quickly.
    www.seminoleplumbing.com

Comment

CPO is a huge seller of recon power tools. Odds are that they will have the bare tool at a good price.

http://www.cpoprotools.com/
      "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Just be aware that if you buy the bare tool from any of the sources listed (actually, anywhere outside of Home Depot) you probably will not be eligible for the 3-year warranty and you will not be able to register the tool for the LLSA.

If that doesn't matter, then get it wherever at the cheapest possible price.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
          Just be aware that if you buy the bare tool from any of the sources listed (actually, anywhere outside of Home Depot) you probably will not be eligible for the 3-year warranty and you will not be able to register the tool for the LLSA...
          The 3-year warranty and the LSA are not vendor specific. Nowhere in the warranty statement or the LSA agreement is a reference to HD made. it doesn't matter where you buy it as long as they're an authorized dealer.

CPO, for instance, sells both new and factory reconditioned tools. They are an authorized dealer. The new tools are fully eligible for both the 3-year warranty and the LSA while the recon tools are covered by a 1-year warranty.

Just make sure they're a Ridgid AUTHORIZED dealer.

Comment

Doctordeere,

It is my understanding that with the exception of professional plumbing and electrical tools, and vacuums, that "Home Depot" is the "exclusive" retailer of Rigid-brand power tools.

To clarify, Emerson Electric which owns the Ridgid brand name entered into an agreement with Tektronics International (TTI) to allow TTI to use the Ridgid brand on all of the woodworking stationary and similar hand-held power tools that TTI manufactured and sold. Here in the U.S., TTI has an exclusive agreement with Home Depot that designates Home Depot as the sole outlet for its Ridgid-brand tools.

The 3-year warranty and the LLSA are issued by TTI and in turn they use the Ridgid service network. While Emerson Electric manufactures Ridgid-brand products; such products (like it's plumbing, electrical, and vacuum products) has a completely different warranty and none of those are covered by TTI's LLSA program.

These agreements (TTI's use of the Ridgid brand) was started in 2003 and at that time, the color scheme was changed to "orange". I believe the exclusive-retail agreement was started earlier.

So, has this changed? The last I knew, was that any TTI-produced Ridgid-brand tool that was bought from any other source was considered to be a used product.

While I can't pin down a written statement about such purchases from other sources, part of the LLSA registration does require a copy of the sales receipt and the UPC from the product carton.

So, hopefully you are right... but I'd check with Ridgid Customer Service before I counted on it. But, thanks for the "heads-up".

Edit update: I looked at the CPO website and couldn't find any new Ridgid power tools. They do say "CPO is an authorized dealer of Ridgid", but they also say in much bolder print, "Your Home for Ridgid Factory Reconditioned Tools" Here is a link to their Ridgid Factory Reconditioned warranty and policy page: http://www.cpoprotools.com/policy/ab...nditioned.html

CWS
            Last edited by CWSmith; 09-20-2010, 09:31 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Comment

CPO must have changed in the not-so-distant past. They used to sell new Ridgid tools too. Mostly discontinued ones, but new none the less. Same with the TTI outlet stores (although they call them 'Tools Plus Outlet' now). Discontinued, but new. And even the discontinued ones qualify for all the warranty perks AFAIK.

Now you've got me questioning myself... it's been a while since I went tool shopping.

Comment

Amazon.com has a lot of Ridgid power tools available: table saw, drill press, drill, etc., but no mention of the LSA warranty. Prices for the Ridgid power tools are regular retail prices with free shipping (the only incentive). Will the packaging have the 3yr warranty or LSA deleted? Seems like they should be able to be registered via Dashboard. HD may not be everyones favorite store but they can't be beat when they want to move an item out of the store.

Comment

Amazon always mystifies me... I guess I really don't understand how it works and frankly, I have yet to buy anything from them.

I have noticed on the many times that I have searched for items there, that there are most always this rather strange notice of a certain number available as "used" and likewise, "new". I've also noticed on more than a few occasions that Amazon prices are not always "low".

For example, my grandson collects Lego Star Wars models. Last year he wanted the "X-Wing figher" and I found it on Amazon, but the price was $60, and Toys-R-Us had it available locally for $40. Comparing other models too, Amazon was substantially higher than local sources.

Hopefully thier tool deals are much better,

But as far as Ridgid tools are concerned, I am not sure how Amazon (or anyone else) gets a continuous supply of these tools. I would think that if they were getting them directly from One World Technologies (TTI's subsidiary who handles the TTI/Ridgid-branding operation) then Home Depot's legal team would have a legal case against them, as it defies their "exclusivity" contract. (Which I found reference to, as early as 2001, BTW).

There are of course many who take advantage of Home Depot sales and clearances, especially when it comes to seasonal "combo" packages. They then break-up the combo's and/or resale the individual items on Amazon and E-bay and considerable profit. Purchasing any of these items of course, even if NIB, would render the purchaser as the second owner and it would be doubtful if LLSA registration would be probable.

It would be great to hear an official post or opinion on the subject by one of Ridgid representatives.

CWS

Comment

Working...
                  X