X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Oil Change ?

Can anyone tell me how long before first oil change on new 3000 psi pressure washer?

Also, yesterday, was washing, and had read that you should not leave the unit running without spraying for more than a couple of minutes, so I had to shut it off a few times and re start. The first couple of times it started right off on the first pull. The last couple of times it took numerous (about a dozen) pulls to get it restarted (yes I released the pressure at the gun). Is this normal or....

Thanks!!

Re: First Oil Change ?

If you're talking about the engine oil I'd change it after the first 4-5 hours. That first oil change is important as it pretty much cleans the crankcase out then you should be good to go for the season. Later!

Comment

Thanks!!

Comment

You shouldn't let it sit for more than about 5 minutes without spraying water as the water inside will get hot and destroy your seals. There is a safety mechanism built in that will release the pressure if it gets too hot. If you do need to let it sit just spray some water every couple minutes and it will get cool water inside the unit.

Comment

The first oil change should be done around 20-25 hours and then every 50 hours after that. Every 50 hours on a pressure washers is the same as 3000 miles on your car. The pump on our pw circulates the water inside the pump when your not on the trigger and within a few minutes the temps can raise to a point that will damage the pump, so you can smiply spray the wand for a few seconds to let fresh cool water in if you have to let it sit

Comment

Most small engines need to have the oil changed between 5 and 10 hours the first time. I just bought a new John Deere riding mower and it says to change the oil at 8 hours and then every 50 hours after that.
            SSG, U.S. Army
            Retired
            K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Subaru/Robin recommends the initial oil change @ 20hrs followed by 100hr intervals. You can view the operator's manual for your engine (I'm assuming you don't have one) here:

http://robinamerica.com/media/manual...7791071250.pdf
              "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Every engine manufacturer will have their own beliefs as to when PM should be done. I sure as hell wouldn't wait 20-25 hrs. for the first oil change. That is idiotic just to save $5. Later!

Comment

Re: First Oil Change - quantity??

Well, I'm a big believer in frequent oil changes, and I know the first one is crucial...so I went ahead and did one today, it has been about 6 hours total on the new engine...but here is an oddity...

The manual states 20 oz capacity.

I was careful not to assume that it only had 4 oz when I first filled it, and in fact, it only took 10 oz of the included oil to be "full", ie, about halfway between the two dipstick marks. - I assume this is the correct way to tell, the manual is silent on this point.

Ok, I just checked the pdf engine manual from above - THANKS!! - I was not filling it up all the way, and I was screwing the dipstick in to check the oil...they really should include something on that with the unit when you buy it...haha.
                  Last edited by gr8or; 09-26-2010, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shadow745 View Post
                    Every engine manufacturer will have their own beliefs as to when PM should be done. I sure as hell wouldn't wait 20-25 hrs. for the first oil change. That is idiotic just to save $5. Later!

I never knew it was idiotic to follow manufacturer specs. But I guess some people know more than the people that build the things.

Comment

CHANGE THE OIL, CHANGE THE OIL after only 2 hours...oil is CHEAP!!!! CHANGE IT.

After only 2 hours (and less) the oil is laced with metal particles on break in. I even change the second oil after 2 hours...who cares- OIL IS CHEAP! WHY RISK IT?

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
                        CHANGE THE OIL, CHANGE THE OIL after only 2 hours...oil is CHEAP!!!! CHANGE IT.

After only 2 hours (and less) the oil is laced with metal particles on break in. I even change the second oil after 2 hours...who cares- OIL IS CHEAP! WHY RISK IT?
                        I know oil is cheap, but after just 2 hours????

Mine got an engine oil and pump oil change after about 12-16 hours. My standard operating procedure for oil changes is to do them once a year unless I go over on the hours of usage (pump oil can go much longer for obvious reasons).

Comment

YUP- do it!

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
                            YUP- do it!
                            I forgot, you guys are on the metric system up there. Your 2 metric hours converts to about 11.7 SAE hours. We're cool!

Comment

:d

Comment

Working...
                              X