Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bearing noise on startup of new R4510 table saw?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearing noise on startup of new R4510 table saw?

Hi Folks, I ended up getting the R4510 table saw and damn it is so functional and accurate after 5 minutes of a framing sqaure and allen wrenches..I ve got one concern, the grinding bearing noise that lasts a couple of seconds at startup? is this common or should I be taking this in? Thanks again for your help and the heads up on the 20% coupon.. got the 6 1/2 horse shop vac too!

Re: Bearing noise on startup of new R4510 table saw?

spent about 2 hours cutting this ripping pressure treated stock with no problems.. I just have never heard a noisy startup like this? cant believe there is not one single reply?

Comment

Thanks for posting this thread it gave me alot of options to trace down the chattering start up of my saw ...My hats odff to you for having to tare down your table saw and reassemble the replacement... thats why Iopted for the portable table saw..my kids would still be running for the border if we had to carry a full size table to the basement

Comment

I rented one of these saws and purchased one too. I thought the same thing when i first used the rented one. then I purchased one and it does the same thing so i chalk it up to that that is the way it is. After the first second or two it sounds like what I would expect it to be.

Comment

I had the same concern with the bearing noise. Made some cuts with zero problems. Guess that might be typical with a direct drive.

Comment

Originally posted by teeoter View Post
            I had the same concern with the bearing noise. Made some cuts with zero problems. Guess that might be typical with a direct drive.
            Mine does this too, and I do not think it means anything, except that it may be related to the rather soft start the motor exhibits. I is not bearings, almost for sure, and probably relates to the way the motor interacts with its gear box at low speed.

Yes, note that this saw is not a direct-drive unit. If you look underneath you will see that the motor shaft is not in line with the blade shaft. It is offset, and there is a reduction gear in there. I have a smaller Ryobi BTS20 jobsite saw, too, and it also has a reduction gear. The Ryobi spins its blade faster (4800 rpm) than the Ridgid (4400 rpm), but this relates to the reduction gear and I assume the Ridgid has a bit more torque.

One other point. I also own the 1290 sliding compound miter saw, and if you look at both saws closely you will see that the two appear to have the same motor. The miter saw uses a belt and the blade spins at 4000 rpm. That is a 12-inch blade and I assume that the blade-tip speed is similar to what we have with the R4510.

Howard Ferstler

Comment

Working...
            X