X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigid R 2401 Router Base Plate Dimensions

Would anyone be able to tell me the dimensions of the bases plate for the R2401 router. Specifically, the screw holes. I want to make a new base to accept a bushing guide and a friend can CNC it for me if I give him an accurate drawing. I can make the drawing if I have the locations of all the holes. (All 5 of them that is.)

Thanks in advance,

Todd

Re: Rigid R 2401 Router Base Plate Dimensions

Todd,

I have the earlier R2400 model and the standard base plate has the ability to accept the "standard" P-C style of bushing guides. Did they not carry this over tot he new model?

As far as the dimensions are concerned, don't you have the 2401 so that you can take them directly off your base? I would have to do the same if I had that unit, or my R2400.

I guess I don't quite understand,

CWS

Comment

Hi CWS,

Yes the bushing guides fit bit it have a few thousandths of an inch of play. For my situation that's not good enough. I need it to be bang on. Again for measuring it, if I'm out by a thousandth or two that'll throw things off enough to make a difference.

I can mount the base upside down to centre it but a new base would be better.

I guess what I'm looking for is a dimensioned drawing from Rigid or the exact distances between the holes. I know Porter Cable has posted the same.

Todd
      Last edited by tossedman; 09-26-2010, 01:39 AM.

Comment

Hi Todd,

BTW - Welcome to the Ridgid forum.

Okay, now I understand, thanks.

You could call Ridgid Technical Support to see if they can help you with the dimensions; but I serious doubt it, as they will probably have little more than you and I have. The product is made in China by Tektronics International and marketed via their One World Technologies subsidiary, under an agreement with Emerson Electric, to use the "Ridgid" brand name. I've gotten the impression that drawings and other design elements are not widely available through Ridgid's "Technical Support"... but hopefully, I am wrong in that assumption.

Is it possible to use the base that you have (or the mounting surface of the router) to prototype a new base? (In a past life, I've actually taken a part like that, placed it on my scanner to digitize it, and then import it into my Corel Draw program to trace and dimension into a new drawing for build.)

Also, is it the plastic base that is sloppily fitted to the router, or is it the mounting area on the plastic base that is sloppily mated to the guide bushing that you have. If it is the latter, then I'm wondering if it is actually the baseplate that is off, or the guide bushing?

On my trim router and on my larger Ridgid R2900, my Lee-Valley brass guide bushings fit tightly, with no movement whatsoever. Normally, I would think that the "plastic" whatever is where the variation would be, but of course that is not always the case.

Sorry that this isn't more helpful,

CWS

Comment

Hey CW thanks for the idea about scanning the base. That'd work and I can go from there. I need a base for routing HO slot car tracks and the power rails fit into slots that must be 0.025" from the edge of the guide slot. This is so cars can get consistent power. Kind of a niche market thing. Nobody makes a base for this so we're custom making our own.

I'm using the Lee Valley brass guide bushings as well. They fit like a charm in my Porter Cable router but the hole on the base of the Rigid is a bit oversized. The base is snug to the router though.

I'll try scanning and see where that gets me. Thanks for the tip.

Cheers,

Todd

Comment

Todd,

Great, I'm glad that I was able to help, even if it was just in a small way.

I'd offer to do the scan and trace, but there's a definite difference between the R2400 that I have and the newer R2401.

It's a shame that TTI/Ridgid is loosening its tolerances, or whatever is going on, with some of these model updates. I very much like the R2401 model over the 2400, but there's not much excuse for having the guide bushings not fit properly.

Good luck,

CWS

Comment

Working...
            X