X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stud Finder?

Any recommendations for a good one. I've had what's supposed to be an ok Zircon but am not really satisfied with it.

Sometimes false readings or the beep, beep, beep, haywire scenario.

Thanks for any ideas.

J.C.

Re: Stud Finder?

I've had a Ryobi Stud Tech Pro for about four years now and it works okay. ( http://ryobitools.com/catalog/access..._tools/ESTP004 )

It uses an LCD screen which is nice because I cannot always hear the high-tone of the locator. With the LCD, it shows a series of vertical bars to indicate the stud or wire location. (It also locates wire and metal.)

While it's okay, it's not foolproof and frankly I'm not sure how perfect this technology is. This is my first and only stud locator and I bought it to locate studs and such on this tremendously old house (1887). With varying thicknesses of lath, and abundance of nails, and perhaps just ignorance on my part I find myself sweeping along various heights of a wall to assure I've actually located a stud and not just some extra thick lath. Still, with those extra steps it's worked fairly well for me. Price is around $38, as I recall... but I bought mine on either a sale or mislabel for only $18 (still not clear on why the reduced price at the that time).

The only fault of the StudTech, is that it's easy to toggle the on off switch and they don't provide a case. I actually took a utility nice to the packing case and keep the plastic "blister" rubber-banded to the unit to keep it protected.

The 9-V battery seems to last a long time and I've only changed it twice in the four years or so I've used it.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

i also have the roybi and it seems good.

but my best no frills stud finder is a strong telescoping magnet. extend the magnet to the full 2' and slowly drag it across the wall. it will home in on the screws or nails. then once you find the first one, you can go up and down to mark the stud. move over 16'' and search again.

the strong magnet is the trick.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I have an old (20+yrs, maybe their first model) Zircon which works fairly well.

It has a series of LEDs which start to light up at the edge of the stud and increase in number until all are lit when centered on the highest density area, they taper off again as you move to the other side. I find it reasonably accurate 95% of the time. If I take a couple sweeps vertically spaced apart by 12" or more then accuracy improves. It is not sensitive to metal or wires or pipes.

I also have a newer one from Stanley which is about 4 years old and does not seem to work as well for finding wood studs, but it does detect energized wires.

You could also try one of these, no batteries required.
        http://www.stanleytools.com/default....ic+Stud+Finder
        Last edited by Bob D.; 10-14-2010, 06:11 AM. Reason: added link, fixed typo
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I have this one.

http://www.blackanddecker.com/power-...s-bdl190s.aspx

Works well and includes a lazer level and carring case.
          SSG, U.S. Army
          Retired
          K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Give this magnetic one a try. I thought it might take a long time to find a screw or nail, but it really doesn't. It's very small so it's easy to keep in your tool bag. You never get a false or vague reading.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

Comment

joeys got the best one

she found me

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                joeys got the best one

she found me

rick.
                As she tells it, that is what convinced her to quit drinking.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  joeys got the best one

she found me

rick.

False reading. She now has to pay for the damages for the rest of her life.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by TOD View Post
                    I have this one.

http://www.blackanddecker.com/power-...s-bdl190s.aspx

Works well and includes a lazer level and carring case.
                    Couldn't click the link, but I've also got a B&D one with a carrying case and laser level and like it quite a bit. I find it a bit better than the cheap Zircon one I have. One advantage of the Zircon is that it fits into a toolbox well though and my B&D does not.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      Any recommendations for a good one. I've had what's supposed to be an ok Zircon but am not really satisfied with it.

Sometimes false readings or the beep, beep, beep, haywire scenario.

Thanks for any ideas.

J.C.
                      Great question.

I have a new zircon also. Waste of a good 9V battery. Took it back, they gave me another.... same. Worthless.

Had an old one (same model as Bob D.) and it was better, still not good though. It finally died. Thought they might have improved them, but zircon seems to have gone the wrong way. Tried it on fresh sheetrock where I KNOW what's behind... still beep-beep-beep.

I'll try the magnetic one.

Comment

Couldn't find the magnetic one locally. But did find two pretty strong magnets that seem to work for $2.80.

Seems to work ok. Just an idea.

J.C.

Comment

I just grab any ol' magnet off the fridge. Nothing I've hung has fallen yet!
                          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

JC, I just ran across this one. Don't know if you've seen it yet.
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/METToolT.../2/DffT7j8kATU
                            "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                            X